• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jbow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Muncie
    Just got into pistol shooting and as all my hobbies I just don't get into it a little bit I go ALL IN. know I want to get a progressive loader. Any suggestions on loaders and how to get started. Thanks

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As far as getting started, contact Profire (they are an advertiser on this site) and take their reloading class. It's cheap and the best training in reloading you can ever get. They have all sorts of presses and equipment you can play with and get an idea of what you really need. They are outstanding folks and the best reloading company in Indiana hands down.

You are about to hear "buy THIS press or THAT press" in this thread, but really, get some classes first and a company like Profire won't try to sell you something just because they have it, they'll work with you to find what fits YOU and YOUR needs best. THAT is why I recommend them (and I have no connection to them other than occasional customer). I've followed them since they got started and have been consistently impressed.

mtbrgeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    For Twain
    Though ive never heard of Profire i agree with shibumiseeker.. when i started loading i visited several friends to see what they were using and thier process ( strangely, people are usually pretty eager to let someone else run thier presses for awhile when loading target loads.. hmmmm) But going to a class with different styles of presses would be a good thing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I took Profire's class back in Jan. and it was exactly what I needed to get started. You'll train on an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press and load 25 rounds of your own .40 ammo. They'll take you step by step and explain how to get yourself started.

Best part, the class is only 50 bucks and when you're done you can shop in the store for whatever supplies you happen to need! (if they happen to have powder available...) You should be able to walk out with everything you need to get started.

Jbow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Muncie
    I would be interested in classes. I shoot smokeless muzzloader a and know the vitality of knowing for sure what you are doing. How do I get ahold of profire to get set up with there classes. Thank you for the excellent advise right off the bat.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    As far as getting started, contact Profire (they are an advertiser on this site) and take their reloading class. It's cheap and the best training in reloading you can ever get. They have all sorts of presses and equipment you can play with and get an idea of what you really need. They are outstanding folks and the best reloading company in Indiana hands down.

You are about to hear "buy THIS press or THAT press" in this thread, but really, get some classes first and a company like Profire won't try to sell you something just because they have it, they'll work with you to find what fits YOU and YOUR needs best. THAT is why I recommend them (and I have no connection to them other than occasional customer). I've followed them since they got started and have been consistently impressed.

^^^^ this. I personally wouldn't but anything and go take the class. You'll have a better idea of what you will need when your done. Plus they have Lee and Dillon progressives set up so you can take a look at them. I took the class and its well worth it. Plus they are extremely knowledgeable and pleasant to do business with.

Jbow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Muncie
    Thank you for the help I bookmarked that. Hopefully I will be well on my way soon. Maybe take the wife to show her all the fun we could have lol.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    The standby answer is always to buy a reloading manual and read, read, read. Lee Modern Reloading, Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Manual are a couple good manuals to have. There are also tons of videos on YouTube. Watching these might help you get the idea of the process.

Andrew's class at Profire is really a great next step. Even if you can't make it to a class, take an afternoon and visit the shop and talk to the guys there. They will be able to educate you far more than they will try to sell you.

Almost forgot there is a sticky thread at the top of this forum that is loaded with good information. You'll find it here. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-reload-but-you-don%92t-know-where-begin.html

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    My best advise would be: Don't get distracted when reloading, stay focused and double check every case! It just takes one double charge to blow up a good gun.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Buy a few manuals and read them then reread them.

Then get some instructions, maybe. But then it's not really rocket science, it consists of empty cases that are sized, a primer, powder "the right amount" and a bullet seated and crimped if needed. That's 4 items and no more. Follow the instructions and what the book says.

I suggest you get a single stage press, any brand and learn each step thoroughly, then you might be ready to "jump right in", other wise you may be an accident in progress.

BTW, I've only been reloading for 50+ years, so I have no idea what I'm talking about.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Another vote for Profire. Andrew and the crew will not pressure sell you into anything. I walked in there last week with $1200 cash ready to buy a Dillon 550 or Dillon 650. But after talking to the guys about my needs I bought a Dillon Square Deal B set up with dies for 45acp. 45acp is what I shoot 95% of the time. So for me to buy a Dillon 550 or 650 would be a waste of my money.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I think Dillon makes the best for the money. Their CS is the greatest. Any question you have, just call and they can help with your reloading needs. I have a old 450 converted to a 500/550. And a Sq Deal.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    My best advise would be: Don't get distracted when reloading, stay focused and double check every case! It just takes one double charge to blow up a good gun.

Great advise.
    I would add to that... start with one caliber and learn it forwards and back. 9mm or 45acp is a good one to start with.
    Don't try to learn a bunch of calibers at the same time.

Top Bottom