• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not a terrible article, especially for CNN.

Pretty much all the parent's we socialize with know I carry and we have firearms. None have ever asked. Of course, we aren't really to the "sleep-over" age with our daughter yet. I suspect I will get asked eventually. If they freak out, then they probably aren't the type of people we want around our girl anyway.

And, yeah, they are either locked up or carried at all times. No worries there.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    "Yes - they're loaded and I keep them right beside the chainsaw, kerosene, arsenic, steak knives and Wild Turkey."

In seriousness...I wouldn't get offended or butthurt if somebody asked me this question - at least that shows they're concerned about their children. I'd assuage their fears "My weapons are secured from my kids, so yours have nothing to worry about" then probably ask if their kids have ever been taught firearm safety, and if not, would they mind me doing so.

Then again, the house I grew up in had well over 100 firearms in it, almost none of which were locked up, and about two dozen of which were in my bedroom closet with ammunition not too far away.

Somehow, some way, nobody ever got hurt.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    Holy crap. People are commenting on there about having power tools locked up. Do they make trigger locks for a power drill? OMG these people are complete idiots.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Before the play date, the gun talk - CNN.com

This will be sure to ignite the neighbors who
    Don't own a Gun!

As if getting shot, accidentally or deliberately, at a friends home is anything but a remote possibility.

A MUCH MORE likely scenario is for your child to be sexually abused by someone there. An older brother, a parent of either sex, or someone else living at the residence.

But we don't care about that. Guns are now the ultimate boogeyman! Oh, I mean "boogey-thing", guns are inanimate objects...

My kids are grown now but I never let them spend the night at a friends house where:

1) At least one of my wife or I didn't know the parents personally.
    2) I didn't know who else was going to be there.
    3) I didn't know everywhere they were going and when they were going/returning.

Paranoid? Hardly!

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Would I be offended if someone asked me if there were guns in the house? NO
    Do I know if there are guns in the house where my son plays? Yes, and I would ask.
    Do I let my son play at random peoples house, whom I don't know? NO.

The bigger more important issue here is Firearms Safety Education! If these liberal nanny state parents would take the time to teach their children that guns go bang, and to NOT TOUCH THEM WITH OUT A RESPONSIBLE adult around, then there would be less chance that they would mess with one if they found it.

I have had lengthy conversations with my 7 year old about what to do if he is at a friends house and he sees, or his friends mention there is an unsecured gun in the house. He knows not to touch it, and to get me or another RESPONSIBLE adult.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    I have no kids but I have friends who do. Sometimes, they come over and bring the children. The kids have no been told that I have guns but their parents are aware and they're fine with it.

The kids are more fascinated with my dog and my Playstation than they would be with the guns anyway.

MetalMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Howard County
    All in all, I think it is a reasonable question that I wouldn't be offended if I was asked. I think the guy in the article was going a little overboard by threatening to tell everyone he knew if someone had guns stored in a way that he didn't agree with. He has every right to not let his daughter go over and play, but at what point to we respect each others differences and just let that be enough? Does it really make him feel better to go tattle on someone?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Sounds like a reasonable question to me. I love guns, but if I have children someday I would ask if the guns were secured where they were going. Accidents are rare, but it doesn't take much to keep them from happening. You don't have to be rude or anti when you ask.

Not any worse than asking if there's a lock on the gate to the pool.

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    I always inform parents that I carry and I have firearms in the house. If it is safe enough for my child, it is safe enough for theirs. I haven't had anyone have a problem with it.

Actually have had a few ask for a show and tell. :):

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Hell, just tell 'em you leave your guns laying all over the floors and tables, fully loaded and cocked, safeties not only off but REMOVED from the weapons, and triggers ALL set to trigger pulls of .00000001 OUNCE. :eek::runaway:

THAT should keep the little neighborhood pests from every wreaking havoc on your home! :yesway: :lmfao:

You're :welcome: :D

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If I trusted a family enough to watch my kids, I'd trust them enough to properly secure their guns and I hope it would be vice versa.

I know I trust my kids that they would not touch a gun without permission.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I don't have a problem with the question necessarily.

I do wonder if a person would actually say "No, I leave them loaded laying all over the place"

I think it's a bit idiotic to expect an answer other than 'I keep them secure' or some variant of that.

Not a lot of logic there.

In any case, train your own children well on firearms and what to do and not do if they encounter them.

Part of that would be to GTFO if their friend started playing with one.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I always thought it was a most valuable question.

It let me know which parents knew their kids would go rummaging thru my closets, drawers and other private spaces when no one was watching them. I was always polite and thanked them for the heads-up info about their sweeties.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Before you answer, ask "Is anyone in your household currently taking any prescription medications"

Had a parent of my sons friend do a 'pull me to the side hush hush talk' one time. He noticed I had an M4 airsoft rifle against the wall in my basement and was wondering about the safety of the kids. After showing him that the batteries weren't installed and no BB's were loaded, he kinda dropped the 'tude and started talking about his own "AK" and how he had to present it a few times to ward off potential break ins.

I thought I'd help him out and showed him a few brand new AK mags I was willing to give him. He said his AK didn't take mags and after describing it we came to the conclusion that is was an SKS. OK, I thought, I'm OK with a slight bit of ignorance. Then I showed him my HD handgun that was in a safe. He kinda shyed away and said..."I kinda have a problem with handguns due to a minor felony when I was young."

I stood there and reasoned to myself and politely confirmed, "so you're a felon?" He said yeah and of course I started thinking about his rifle. I politely told him that felons weren't aloud to own ANY guns. He said he did a little research and said that he was ok to have the rifle.

I dropped it, wished I hadn't shown him my firearms and left him to be comfortable in his ignorance. It's really no ones business that you have a firearm in your home. Even if someone asks you and tries to shmooze up to you, it's no ones business.

Last edited:

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I told my daughters friends mom when she dropped her off to spend the night. I just said, hey, FYI, you should feel very safe that your daughter is staying here. I'm well armed. Her response was, cool.

Top Bottom