• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Oh this could be funny to watch, and clearly this could be the nightmare scenario that the Democrats really do not need to deal with right now. :):

Challenger adds to post-Bayh chaos

A Bloomington, Ind., restaurant owner who had been running an obscure and uphill challenge against Sen. Evan Bayh for the Democratic nomination claimed Monday that she’s just 1,000 signatures short of qualifying for the ballot.

In an interview with POLITICO, Tamyra D'Ippolito said that after news broke Monday morning that Bayh was retiring, her campaign contacted Democratic officials in Indiana to request they help her get the needed signatures by noon Tuesday — when they must be verified by the state’s 92 country registrars.
    It would be something close to a nightmare scenario for Democrats: were D’Ippolito to qualify for the ballot, she would be the likely nominee and the party would be left to face the GOP with a political neophyte who said she is running in part to take on a party establishment she said practices “sexism with a big S.”​
    It’s precisely what Bayh had hoped to avoid. By disclosing his retirement one day before the filing deadline, the idea was that no Democrat would qualify for the primary ballot and the party’s state central committee could tap their favored candidate.

It was not possible to verify D’Ippolito’s claim about how many signatures she’s collected. To qualify for the statewide ballot in Indiana, candidates need 500 verified voter signatures from each of the state’s nine congressional districts.

But in the mad scramble following Bayh’s surprise decision, worried Democrats in Washington and Indianapolis were taking the prospect seriously. “This would be a complete and unmitigated disaster,” said a leading Democrat in the state. “We’d be up sh—’s creek.”

This Indianapolis-based Democrat was in contact with senior party officials in Bloomington on Monday and had begun calling around to registrars in the state’s population centers to determine whether D’Ippolito had filed her petitions yet.

Simultaneously, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee’s political director, Martha McKenna, contacted D’Ippolito on Monday “asking for information about me,” the candidate said.

But D’Ippolito said she had not yet been urged by any Democrat to stop collecting signatures and withdraw. “They know me too well,” she said. “That won’t work well with me.” She said she was committed to the race in part because she was sick of the male-dominated Democratic Party in the state. “It’s very much an old boys club in Indiana and I’m out to break it,” she said. Before hanging up she added that she wanted to offer a “reminder:” “Indiana is 52 percent women.”

D’Ippolito also suggested that Bayh’s announcement was timed so that the state’s top Democratic officials could hand-pick his successor. “I don’t know if they’re smoking cigars there, but the decision has already been made,” she said. The owner of the Ragazzi Art Café in Bloomington, a liberal enclave that is home to Indiana University, D’Ippolito ran the 2006 primary campaign of a Democrat who lost to Rep. Baron Hill. But this is the first time she has run for office.

A colon cancer survivor, she launched a liberal challenge against Bayh in November in part over healthcare.

D’Ippolito said she was working diligently to get the needed signatures but was still lagging, especially in the 8th District which is in the southwest corner of the state.

She said she wasn’t certain she’d qualify because, as she put it, Bayh-backing Democratic officials “have been stonewalling us for four months.”

A DSCC official conceded that after the Bayh shocker they were still trying to determine who exactly D’Ippolito was and whether she could qualify.

“I’m told it’s unlikely she gets this done,” said the official, more hopeful than confident.

Conservative and liberal activists, with varying motives, also began to rally around D'Ippolito Monday.

The liberal blog Firedoglake offered a friendly write-up and a link to her petitions.

And conservatives saw it as an opportunity to wreak havoc among their foes.

"This could be fun," wrote RedState blogger Erick Erickson. "Those of you in Indiana should go out of your way to help Tamyra get the signatures he needs by tomorrow at noon."

Read more: Challenger adds to post-Bayh chaos - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Looks like I've figured out where to have dinner the next time I'm in Bloomington.

There's something about quietly reading Arguing with Idiots or The Shotgun News while wearing a Blackwater T-shirt that just sets them off down there.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The petitions have to be at the county election offices by noon tomorrow. Anyone who can, print off her nominating position and turn it in to your county board by noon tomorrow, Tuesday, Feb 16.

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I can't do it because I no longer live in Indiana, but I must say, I'm certainly against sexism in the Democrat party. In fact, I'm passionately against it.

The political blood spilled this fall is going to sound like a waterfall.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Sweet. Sometimes nightmares have a way of coming true. :D

Well according to Politico.com this morning, we may be out of luck on seeing the Democratic party spin into the chaotic toilet bowl.
    UPDATE: Democrat Tamyra D'Ippolito, who appears unlikely to make the ballot today, echoes the GOP message: "We here in Indiana are tired of our politics being chose for us. We are capable of choosing our own candidates. Thanks Machine but we got this, sit back and enjoy the ride!"
    LINK to full story >>> Republicans focus on Indiana process - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    If I was in the States right now I'd be getting every signature I could for this woman. I would then proceed to laugh all the way through November if she was to get the Democratic nomination.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Wow. It's nice to see that everybody here is willing to disingenuously hijack the political process so that your preferred team wins.

I'm not saying she's qualified at all, but I'd rather see a grass-roots, non-political insider get a fair shake rather than help out some career politicians who will continue business as usual.

Voting based on the party and not on the issues is sickening.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Wow. It's nice to see that everybody here is willing to disingenuously hijack the political process so that your preferred team wins.

Is it really considered hijacking if you attempt to reclaim the vehicle which was previously stolen from you?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

I'm not saying she's qualified at all, but I'd rather see a grass-roots, non-political insider get a fair shake rather than help out some career politicians who will continue business as usual.

It's "hijacking the process" to use the process to help someone get on the ballot. You're values are certainly skewed. But hey, it's not "hijacking the process" for Bayh to wait for the last minute to announce he's pulling out so his cronies in the party can appoint another crony. Remove the beam from your eye before picking specks.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Respectfully, your viewpoint is naive.

Like it or not, we have a two party system. Even if I liked a Dem candidate's stand on enough important issues to like them better than the Republican candidate, I would still be voting counter to my interests to vote for the Dem. I'm talking about my interests on THE ISSUES.

Here's why: No politician in Congress is able to completely vote their conscience. There are many votes where they MUST toe the party line, and often by their very nature these are going to be on some very contentious issues, very likely the kind of issue I'm going to be on the other side of.

Let's say I voted for a guy because he was a pro-gun Democrat. Let's say there was a very narrow vote on a gun control bill and they absolutely had to have my guy's vote. They would offer him something very sweet in trade, perhaps an important committee post, or perhaps lots of party money for his reelection campaign. They might throw in a softening measure that he could campaign on.

That's not the worst of it, though. The worst part about voting across party lines is that the Speaker and the committee chairmanships and committee majorities come from the majority party. Most of the work is done in these committees. By electing that nice Democrat who seems to agree with you, you are putting a Nancy Pelosi in the speaker role.

Until we change it, it's a two party system. I will always vote straight ticket Republican, because overall I agree more with that side than the other one.

In our system, party trumps person.

Voting straight party can be a mindless choice. It can also be the most mindful choice.

Turn your head away from your keyboard if you feel sick.

thecanuck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Coming from a country where there is a multiple (5-party) system , I am thankful for the 2 party system in many ways. Being a conservative I get as ticked as the next guy with the GOP but I'll take 75% of what I believe in rather than 10%. So many people got fooled by voting for so-called "pro-life, pro-gun" democrats in the last 4 years, thinking they were going to uphold country values... Well, 3 Trillion later, these so called moderates have financed a generation of American prosperity away.

Top Bottom