• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Not trying to be gross but anyone dropped their carry into toilet?

I was at a restaurant last night and had to answer natures call. That got me thinking you can drop my pistol if I'm not careful. I was thinking about getting a shoulder holster so keep from having to worry about that.

Anyone else think about this or am I weird on this also?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dropped my Hi-Point once, I just flushed the toilet. :D

I dont see how you can drop it by accident if you use the hammock technique.
    The gun is either in your holster, in your hand or on the pants/hammock.
    There is never a moment where it's free to be dropped in the toilet.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I carry in a In the waist band at the 5:30-6 position. When I undo my belt it does get loose and could fall out. Not out of the holster but holster and all fall out of belt.

I have a diff holster that is Out side of waist band that I carry about my 2-3 position that one won't fall out but could hit the floor if you sit down.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    there have been numerous true stories about LEO's having the same problem and walking out of the can and leaving their gun behind...

many stall doors have a hook.....other than that just use your tactical awareness and do the best you can in the can:rockwoot:

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I could see how you could drop it. If you carry a heavier gun like I do, it could easily fall out of its holster and land in the toilet. My gun has a tendency to fall away from me when I undo my belt, and all it would take is it being loose it the holster for it to go. I try and put pressure on it with my elbow and I have had good luck, but it could happen. It happens to cell phones everyday.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    With a belt holster, unthread the belt tip from the pants belt loop and fish it back through the holster so the holster can't slide off. Now when do take care of business, the holster stays tied to the belt and unless you are really sloppy, will stay clean. Good luck.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not trying to be gross but anyone dropped their carry into toilet?

I was at a restaurant last night and had to answer natures call. That got me thinking you can drop my pistol if I'm not careful. I was thinking about getting a shoulder holster so keep from having to worry about that.

Anyone else think about this or am I weird on this also?

You can do like the State Trooper did at Lowes in Fort Wayne. When the call of nature beckoned, he went in the stall, placed his pistol on top of the TP dispenser, and then walked out and left his weapon in the can. Once he realized he was missing something, he went back, but by that time an employee found it and turned it in to management who called police. The last I heard he was facing a hearing but I never heard if he got any discipline. I imagine his buddies gave him more problems than hi superiors.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I carry in a In the waist band at the 5:30-6 position. When I undo my belt it does get loose and could fall out. Not out of the holster but holster and all fall out of belt.

I have a diff holster that is Out side of waist band that I carry about my 2-3 position that one won't fall out but could hit the floor if you sit down.

That's why you use the hammock method.
    You need to do your business sitting down, you remove your IWB holster with the gun inside, drop you pants and sit down, now your pants are making a hammock for your gun and holster where they stay while you do your business.
    This way you dont drop it, or even worse, forget it once you are done.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Well I don't like the gun dropping and hitting the ground and bouncing around when I undress at night before bed so I make it habit to keep tension on belt as I undo belt and pants, then strong hand holds gun and holster together when I deal with lowering to just above the knees, redo belt at last notch or with about 1" left on the wilderness style 5.11 operator and apply slight outward knee pressure to keep passive retention on the gun. Once you get in the habit of the methodical process it adds under a second to the process and keeps the gun secure at all times, no harder than making sure my cover garment hasn't ridden up when I get out of a seating position in a car or restaurant. Also keeps it above the line of the stalls that have gap to the floor and makes it so it is always on my person so I don't forget it, and if I'm interrupted then it's in a normal stong side easy access position where I can get a good purchase and employ it if needed. For some reason I see lots of posts on internet forums about folks making the whole process harder than it really needs to be, when I've found that the simpler I keep things the smoother it all goes, and less chance I have of introducing errors that make me retrieve my EDC from the local police station.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    ATM posted a picture of his hammock method in another thread a while back. It has always worked for me. And FYI, from the photo, it is obvious that ATM goes commando. :n00b:

Hammock method FTW.

Oh, and here are several threads dealing with this same discussion.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/25150-restroom_carry.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/123167-using_the_restroom.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._self_defense/163646-carry_on_the_toilet.html

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, I don't know what you call it, but I'm always conscious of the firearm, so I'm not going to drop it or whatever. I don't mind being conscious as long as I have it when I need it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    ATM posted a picture of his hammock method in another thread a while back. It has always worked for me. And FYI, from the photo, it is obvious that ATM goes commando. :n00b:

Oh, and here are several threads dealing with this same discussion.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/25150-restroom_carry.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/123167-using_the_restroom.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._self_defense/163646-carry_on_the_toilet.html

I couldn't find the picture!
    I was not sure I explained the hammock method clearly enough.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Whenever I hit the crapper, I remove the pistol and hold it in my hand.

I know some say it is best to keep it in the holster, but about the last thing I want to be dealing with is some pos thug attempting a reach under the stall to strip it from the holster.

Of course, the best thing to do if in an area where your gut says you could be at risk, wait to use the crapper elsewhere.... but if I'm in such an area and nature simply will not wait the pistol is in my hand, pointed at the stall door, and my trigger finger is on the side just above the go button.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Well, I don't know what you call it, but I'm always conscious of the firearm, so I'm not going to drop it or whatever. I don't mind being conscious as long as I have it when I need it.

Well said!

A responsibility that accompanies exercising your natural rights documented in the second is being aware of where your carry firearm(s) is (are).

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I recently squeezed my cheeks for almost 2 hours driving home from my in-laws in Michigan because I refused to use a public restroom. And that is not the only time I have done that. If at all possible I hold it until I get home. But if there is absolutely no way that I can do that... the hammock method works well.

Top Bottom