• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I want to hear your thoughts on stocking up on bartering items for SHTF situations--what would you think would be prudent to store for bartering?

To get this out of the way first--let's just assume you are fully stocked on ammo, food, water, emergency supplies, medicine, etc, etc, etc. And you are just looking at obtaining stuff for bartering. What items do you think would be good and why?

Ideally, the item will be durable, easily divisible and in great demand.

I have a buddy that stocks up on small bottles of liquor for this reason (he doesn't drink), envisioning that such a luxury will be a good bartering item. Also has the added benefit of being useful for medicinal purposes, I guess.

Maybe some precious metals in small amounts but I see this being useful only in a recovering economy where money becomes important again, not in the initial collapsing stages.

I've heard people planning on bartering ammo. Not a bad idea I guess, but you'd have to be very careful who you'd give this to. You wouldn't want it used against you.

I've read about war times when luxuries like lipstick, new socks, books and the like were more than worth their weight in gold. Those items don't normally get mentioned but historically, they seem to have their place.

So, how about it guys, what are you stocking up in the bartering department?

Or, if you don't think it's worth stocking up on items just to barter with, I'd like to hear those arguments too.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Canning/Pickling Salt would probably be the single most sought after & thus most valuable thing that I can think of if refrigeration & inter-state commerce were disrupted for any length of time.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    toilet paper is a big one for me, dental items like floss, toothbrushes, ect, knives are a good one, i always say stuff people use in everyday life but never thing they will run out of. these are just some examples that i stock and would valuable imo.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Gas,oil,smokes,alcohol,food,water,shoes,socks,clothes, almost anything you think people will need,and somethings that people just dont want to live without.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I go to the local indoor flea market on my lunch break usually 2 times per week. I have been buying a lot of Coleman stoves, and lanterns as well as cast iron cook wear. I enjoy repairing them if they need to be fixed. I have never tried it, but I have always been told they will run on gasoline.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I go to the local indoor flea market on my lunch break usually 2 times per week. I have been buying a lot of Coleman stoves, and lanterns as well as cast iron cook wear. I enjoy repairing them if they need to be fixed. I have never tried it, but I have always been told they will run on gasoline.

Only the dual-fuel Coleman models will work safely with gasoline.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    With how few people actually prep what do you plan to barter for? Stock up on what you will need not on what others might want. If you need it so will many others so stock extra for barter. Barter items will do you no good if you do not need them and others do not have things to barter that you need. :twocents:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    With how few people actually prep what do you plan to barter for? Stock up on what you will need not on what others might want. If you need it so will many others so stock extra for barter. Barter items will do you no good if you do not need them and others do not have things to barter that you need. :twocents:

People willing to trade physical labor for goods is always an option, I know that I will be looking for extra hands to help out in a post-SHTF scenario.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    feminine hygiene is a good one i can think of, antibiotics is another,boots,socks, underwear and warm cloths. most people are to accustomed to being indoors all winter how will they do when the heat doesnt work well or all the time? Fire wood also.

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    ...To get this out of the way first--let's just assume you are fully stocked on ammo, food, water, emergency supplies, medicine, etc, etc, etc. And you are just looking at obtaining stuff for bartering. What items do you think would be good and why?...

If you are fully stocked, then what would YOU want to barter for? Gold, silver, property? I agree with the other poster who said stock extra of the the things you are stocking up on and barter those items.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Only the dual-fuel Coleman models will work safely with gasoline.

I use my old Coleman stove with premium unleaded every year. I read an old article in a hunting mag in the late 70's that said it was Ok. but it does dirty the generator in the lantern and stove and must be replaced every couple of years.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    If you are fully stocked, then what would YOU want to barter for?

I myself would need weeds weeded, ground tilled, seeds planted, crops watered, fertilized, harvested, etc - all of which are very labor intensive without machinery/chemicals.

Last edited:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a diesel welder/generator, several large chainsaws, winches, heavy equipment, and the trucks to move them. I barter for stuff now, I'm not waiting for SHTF/

Top Bottom