• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    So I'm needing a new scope for my Savage and I can't decide which to buy. I don't have the money for a "top of the line" scope like a Loopy or Nikon so I'd like to ask if anyone has ever tried a BSA or a Barska scope.

Just inquiring about clarity and how well they will actually hold up to the recoil of a .308 bolt action.

I've been looking between these two...

Barska 8 - 32x50 Mm Illuminated Reticle Excavator Scope, Scopes, Barska at Sportsman's Guide

or

Bsa 6 - 24x40 Mm Mil Dot Tactical Scope, Matte Black, Scopes, Bsa at Sportsman's Guide

I'm not new to firearms and I know you get what you pay for but I'd just like some insight from anyone who might own a BSA or a Barska scope and how well they like/dislike it.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Buy once, cry once. Unless you're planning on shooting out farther than 500, there's no need for that much zoom. When you take that out of the equation you open up a lot more options.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Well IMO if you own a .308 and you're not at some point planning on shooting past 500 yards then you may as well trade it in for an AR...

Honestly I'm picking one or the other of those scopes, would just like some information from people who use/used them before. I've looked through a Barska and was quite impressed even though it was indoors and a man I work with claims the BSA's are good and clear but he's never owned any other type of scope before...

gixer454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Logansport
    I had a BSA on my first 22-250 Rem 700, Shot 5/8" groups with it all day long, and I have a BSA on my muzzleloader and dropped a record deer at 115 yds with one shot, I would spend my money on another one!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    So I'm needing a new scope for my Savage and I can't decide which to buy. I don't have the money for a "top of the line" scope like a Loopy or Nikon so I'd like to ask if anyone has ever tried a BSA or a Barska scope.

Just inquiring about clarity and how well they will actually hold up to the recoil of a .308 bolt action.

I've been looking between these two...

Barska 8 - 32x50 Mm Illuminated Reticle Excavator Scope, Scopes, Barska at Sportsman's Guide

or

Bsa 6 - 24x40 Mm Mil Dot Tactical Scope, Matte Black, Scopes, Bsa at Sportsman's Guide

I'm not new to firearms and I know you get what you pay for but I'd just like some insight from anyone who might own a BSA or a Barska scope and how well they like/dislike it.

I would then buy a MILLETT BUCK GOLD;)

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I would then buy a MILLETT BUCK GOLD;)

LOL because those are cheap!

No, I really like the Osprey 10X40X50 with the rangefinder and illuminated reticle, but with the way my work is laying people off, I'd hate to spend my last hard earned dollars on a scope. :dunno:

Thanks Gixer, at least now I know it will hold up to the recoil of my rifle. That was my main concern to be honest. Clarity I can deal with as long as it's decent enough to make out my target, but I don't want to buy one and have shock damage to it after 3 rounds.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i think you are putting to much emphasis on extra zoom. with these scopes you will rarley be able to use 20+ zoom.

low priced does not have to mean low quality. look into the simmons whitetail classic. its roughly 21x on the top end but glass is pretty good for a 100 dollar scope. its the best scope in the price range your looking at. as far as shock i had one on a 50 cal muzzleloader for quite a few years so it will hold up

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    LOL because those are cheap!

No, I really like the Osprey 10X40X50 with the rangefinder and illuminated reticle, but with the way my work is laying people off, I'd hate to spend my last hard earned dollars on a scope. :dunno:

MILLETT are good scope for the money, I was using a 4-16X56 on my STATE ARMS 50 BMG & 1 day the lens inside moved, I sent the scope back to MILLET & they sent me back a NEW one:rockwoot:

gixer454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Logansport
    Mine held zero fine, but a 22-250 with a bull barrel doesn't kick like a .308 so I cant really say if the 6-24 will hold up. I can say my catseye takes my muzzleloader recoil just fine.

I am looking at an Osprey scope also, I looked through one at a gun show recently and I was impressed. I need a tactical scope for my AR and I haven't made up my mind yet. Got any ideas? I will probably never shoot it more than 300 yds, 100 yds would be 99% of the time during our local gun club competitions.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    i think you are putting to much emphasis on extra zoom. with these scopes you will rarley be able to use 20+ zoom.

low priced does not have to mean low quality. look into the simmons whitetail classic. its roughly 21x on the top end but glass is pretty good for a 100 dollar scope. its the best scope in the price range your looking at. as far as shock i had one on a 50 cal muzzleloader for quite a few years so it will hold up

I'll look into that one, I actually think I seen it on a optics site I was looking at a couple of days ago.

Gunman, you've got way more money than I do! :):

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Mine held zero fine, but a 22-250 with a bull barrel doesn't kick like a .308 so I cant really say if the 6-24 will hold up. I can say my catseye takes my muzzleloader recoil just fine.

I am looking at an Osprey scope also, I looked through one at a gun show recently and I was impressed. I need a tactical scope for my AR and I haven't made up my mind yet. Got any ideas? I will probably never shoot it more than 300 yds, 100 yds would be 99% of the time during our local gun club competitions.

I love the Osprey! I also looked through one at a gun show up by Chicago a couple of months or so back. Loved every bit of it, and it's only $149 on Sportsmansguide. You might check it out if you want it.

As for tactical scopes such as acog/holo I haven't looked through any since I was in the military and we only used Trijicon. However I looked through an Osprey holographic sight at the same show and it was awesome. The people only wanted $90 for it. It had 4 different reticle's and illuminated red, green, or blue. I would have bought it if I hadn't spent all my money on powder that day.

I just found it online for you the HGMR.

http://www.osprey-optics.com/holographic-sights/osprey-hgmr.html

It's extra nice, especially for the price if you can find a retailer who deals through Osprey.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am on a really tight budget and chose Barska and have been pretty happy with them. At the higher zoom levels with my bad eyes its pretty fuzzy. But for the prices I paid I can sacrifice a little. Rather squint more than not have food on the table. No experience with BSA, but I don't you would go bad on Barska for the money, but stay away from NcStar, that stuff is junk. I tried one of their 3-9x40 just to see how bad it was for $30 and it was crap.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I have two BSA 6-24x44AO Platinum scopes. One it a Mil-Dot and one is a 1/8 MOA target dot. Good glass for the money.

For hunting it might be too much magnification. For target work, it's just right.

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=OS&prodID=OSPT624X44MD&prodTitle=BSA%20Platinum%206-24x44%20Riflescope%20Mil-Dot%20Reticle

(not the same magnification as mine, but...)
    http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?...il&brand=OS&prodID=OSPT832X44TS&prodTitle=BSA Platinum 8-32x44 Target AO Riflescope

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I thank everyone for their input. I decided to go with the Barska after talking with my uncle who said he bought a couple of BSA's and "they weren't worth a d@mn."

Very happy with it, like MtnBiker said, it gets a little blurry in the higher level zoom, but I only notice it from the 25 zoom and on. The focus helps with it a lot too, which is a feature my old scope didn't have.

I haven't gotten to shoot with it yet, so I'll follow up on how it handles the recoil and holds zero, but for now, she sure looks pretty.

Savage_Barska.jpg

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I thank everyone for their input. I decided to go with the Barska after talking with my uncle who said he bought a couple of BSA's and "they weren't worth a d@mn."

Very happy with it, like MtnBiker said, it gets a little blurry in the higher level zoom, but I only notice it from the 25 zoom and on. The focus helps with it a lot too, which is a feature my old scope didn't have.

I haven't gotten to shoot with it yet, so I'll follow up on how it handles the recoil and holds zero, but for now, she sure looks pretty.

Savage_Barska.jpg
    Nice Scope, which model is that?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Nice Scope, which model is that?

This is the Excavator scope, 8-32X zoom, illuminated rangefinder reticle, flip up covers and comes with rings, but I bought better rings for it since I mounted it on a .308. I've had trouble with all of my scope rings getting stripped from coming loose and having to tighten them down repeatedly.

Here's the link on Sportsmansguide again. I literally could not find a better deal.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom