• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokey56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2012
    Has anyone ever threaded a Chinese MAK 90 ?. Do i need to take it to a gunsmith ?, or can it be done by me at home ?. What tools do i need ?. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Depends on what you want to put on it. Muzzle breaks are shorter so they dont have to be as concentric as suppressors. Personally I would have it done right (IE professionally) so I could do anything I wanted in the future with it without concern.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    The problem with Mak90s is they were threaded and then the threads taken off. They usually don't have enough material to rethread for a standard ak flash hider. I seem to recall guys had to a different thread and use an adapter. I have used the hand tool to thread AK barrels before and it worked very well. There was a thread alignment tool that slides in the bore to get the tap started. These were very popular back in 2004~2005.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    As described above my threads were turned down to 0.55". I also (not sure what was normal for china, but pretty sure isnt "correct") don't have a plunger for a muzzle device. Last I recall CNC Warrior had a fix for this, as in, a muzzle device that can be threaded on sub standard threads. He also sells stuff to tread your own at home. That said, I would consider having it professionally done if you arent comfortable with that kind of work.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    0.55" is just right for threading the standard AK 14x1mm left hand thread.

Midway used to and probably still does sell both the die and thread alignment tool.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If you're in Indy, or willing to drive, you can borrow my stuff. Again I wouldn't use it to mount a suppressor, but flash hiders will be fine.

Top Bottom