• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    tring to learn what chokes are for what? and how they range from more tight to more open. i find myself asking things like is mod. a tighter group than imp.cyl? and rifled choke for smoothe bore slug barrel, wich slugs should i shoot? can i shoot a slug out of a mod. fixed barrel? that soart of stuff. any info would be aprciated.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Chokes constrict the shot as it exits the barrel, the tighter (more constriction) the more dense the shot pattern.

In order of least to most construction: Cyl, Imp Cyl, Lt Mod, Mod, Imp Mod, Full, Ex Full

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    TheGunSource: shotgun_choke_types

choke.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Chokes constrict the shot as it exits the barrel, the tighter (more constriction) the more dense the shot pattern.

In order of least to most construction: Cyl, Imp Cyl, Lt Mod, Mod, Imp Mod, Full, Ex Full
    You also have several "specialty" chokes. One that I know of is a "skeet" choke, which fits in between cyl and imp cyl IIRC.

Regarding shooting slugs through a choke, IMHO I wouldn't shoot them through anything more than a mod or maybe imp mod, but depending on the gun, choke type (fixed or removable), and slug type or design a Full choke may be ok. There are a lot of variables to deal with. Trying to fit a very hard alloy slug through a hole thats much smaller than it is on a barrel that is thin, or on threads that are weak, may cause the barrel steel to give way before the slug does.

Top Bottom