• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I have been wanting to make some ballistics gel for a while. Since making it involves work in the kitchen, the wife said she would help ;)

We figured making some for the PW shoot would be a good excuse to try it, so we did a "test mold" a few days ago. It takes about 40 hours total to have it work (not all work, most of it is just setting time) so we wanted to give ourselves plenty of time to make more. We also made the test mold small because we didn't want to waste a lot of it.

(I say "we" a lot, but honestly, I think I was more in the way, wife did most of the work)

Well the test mold came out today and I am EXCITED! This stuff is cool. it doesn't LOOK like much, but here is the test.

2wpi4pe.jpg

And since I didn't figure a picture would give you the FULL idea of what this stuff is actually like, I made a YouTube video of me smacking and squeezing it. :naughty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCiW-D40i4k

To anybody going to the PW shoot next Saturday, we are working on larger molds to shoot at! :ar15:

kimmi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    You just use non-flavored gelatin and cold water.
    8 fl oz water for every 1 oz of gelatin, and then there's a setting - melting - setting process to get the consistency that you need.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I have a couple different .40 self defense rounds to test...:D. Someone will need to bring a decent sized knife to retrieve the boolets afterwards

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Where can you find that stuff at? Good job on the mold as well.

MidwayUSA has some Perma-Gel on clearance (it ain't cheap):

Was $189.99 Now $173.48 You Save $16.51

from the web site: "Perma-Gel is a substitute for the 10% ordnance gelatin commonly used by the FBI and ballisticians to evaluate bullet performance, yet incorporates convenient improvements that make using ballistic gel a viable option for regular sportsmen. Perma-Gel remains solid at room temperature, is reusable by melting it down and reshaping it, has superior clarity, is not affected by water and is not subject to bacteria growth. Results are very similar, but not identical, to ordnance gel. Comes in pre-packaged blocks and in mix kits to be prepared by the user."

Here is the link: Perma-Gel Ballistic Gel Mix - MidwayUSA

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    A drop or two of cinnamon oil is used to help keep the ballistic gel clear (one drop per liter), not sure if it would help with Knox or not. Also the blocks do have to be large enough to contain the temporary cavity created without splitting open or the resulting data is going to be wildly skewed. We always used blocks cast in 12X12X30 blocks.

Sounds like a fun target for your shoot but don't take the resulting numbers too seriously. There is a reason that the method for making gel according to FBI protocols is very regimented and requires the gel to be calibrated.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    A drop or two of cinnamon oil is used to help keep the ballistic gel clear (one drop per liter), not sure if it would help with Knox or not. Also the blocks do have to be large enough to contain the temporary cavity created without splitting open or the resulting data is going to be wildly skewed. We always used blocks cast in 12X12X30 blocks.

Sounds like a fun target for your shoot but don't take the resulting numbers too seriously. There is a reason that the method for making gel according to FBI protocols is very regimented and requires the gel to be calibrated.

thanks for the tip on the cinnamon oil. We thought it was just our water here in Noblesville.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    very interesting, but it seems from youtube videos that you need about 2 feet of it to capture a hollowpoint 9mm. From this I would think penetration in homemade ballistics gel is far deeper than real gel. YouTube - Ballistics Gel Testing---HAZARDOUS PRODUCTIONS

it looks like a 4x4x15 inch block would take about a gallon of water and about a pound (16 ounces) of gelatin. My amazon search said that that much gelatin will run you about $15-20.

Looks easy enough to make.

add one pound gelatin to one gallon warm water
    put in fridge for 3 hours
    melt completely by putting container in hot water
    pour into final container
    put in fridge for 24 hours

Top Bottom