• ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Are these two basically made for the same uses? I have been using Ballistol for a long time, but I see that CLP seems much more popular, not that this matters, but I was curious if there was something I was missing, or if they are just different products with the same use.

Thanks.

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    Suggestions

Are these two basically made for the same uses? I have been using Ballistol for a long time, but I see that CLP seems much more popular, not that this matters, but I was curious if there was something I was missing, or if they are just different products with the same use.

Thanks.

Most clps are worthless. Here's why. Break free CLP runs right off. Evaporates. Offers zero wear protection. And range in price from $6 to $20. Look on YouTube for weapon shield. $11 for years worth. I have 12,000 through a pistol with zero visible wear. Check out the video. You will thank me later. I shot 800 rounds this weekend and that pistol is spotless. If you have to scrub your firearm after a day of practice, you need an advanced film lubricant. Y

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Depends on what CLP you're referring to as there are several on the market; and they're not all created equal.

General rule of thumb: A multi-use product, like a CLP, won't be as good together as each dedicated chemical would be. Meaning that a dedicated cleaner would be a better cleaner than a CLP, and a dedicated lube would be better than the lube in the CLP, and a dedicated protectant would be better than that in a CLP.

CLPs see widespread use because they're most often "good enough" and quite convenient. One-stop shops, so to speak.

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    To be clear, I use Ballistol as a cleaner, but not for lubrication. I had been using Hoppes #9 as an oil until recently when I switched to Slip 2000. I love the smell of Ballistol! I associate it with gun cleaning! If I understand what you are saying, Ballistol is one of those "compromise" products, so even if I only use it for cleaning, it is not as efficient as a stand-alone cleaner. Did I get that right?

I will check out Weapon Shield as well.

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Did some reading on Weaponshield, and it looks pretty impressive based on the reviews. Looks like a good lube, but what are you using as a solvent if you use Weaponshield as a lubricant?

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Folks in the military used CLP and since we're loud and obnoxious plus "know everything there is to know about guns" it's no wonder CLP has become popular. As Fat said, CLP is a "good enough" do-all but it's not great at any one job. Buy some to throw in your range bag or go bag but don't necessarily use it each time you clean your guns.

Those of you using WD-40, remember it's not truly a lubricant. It works well to unstick what's stuck but that doesn't mean it's good for greasing metal parts that will rub together frequently at high speed and under heat. If you use WD-40, do yourself a favor and let it dry out (maybe even spray it out with an air hose) then generously apply a lubricant.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Those of you using WD-40, remember it's not truly a lubricant. It works well to unstick what's stuck but that doesn't mean it's good for greasing metal parts that will rub together frequently at high speed and under heat. If you use WD-40, do yourself a favor and let it dry out (maybe even spray it out with an air hose) then generously apply a lubricant.

Don't need to let it dry even - just get another solvent, one that'll evaporate completely, to clean the WD-40 off. WD-40 will gum up the works if left alone. Maybe not one application...or eve several dozen. But, over time, it will. Plus once it begins to dry, it gets tacky. Once it gets tacky, it'll hold on to dirt, dust, grime, grit, etc at a higher rate. Those things can choke a gun, too.

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    Did some reading on Weaponshield, and it looks pretty impressive based on the reviews. Looks like a good lube, but what are you using as a solvent if you use Weaponshield as a lubricant?

James. I buy new guns. Take 4 drops of weapon shield on an old toothe brush and brush the guts of did gun. Done. If there is a film of lube on your firearm,there is no need to scrub off what isn't there. I'll share what I have learned in 30+ yrs. Of shooting daily. Break free is worthless as it evaporates ,runs off,has a low flash point(burns off) frog lube sucks and I never fell for the hype.frog lube turns to play dough when it gets below zero.rem oil is 2in1 oil for pellet guns. The list goes on and on. My point is. Watch Georges videos on you tube. Weapon shield destroys them all. Zero wear on your moving parts. None of the others can boast that. To drive the point home further. George is a lubrication genius. He demonstrates all the popular lubes. They all fail miserably. Weapon shield has a solvent kit too but that is over kill if 3 weeks of shooting wipes off with a paper towel.

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    IMG_20160719_022502.jpg. I put 600 RDS through this pistol this evening. No cleaning necessary. Winchester brass. Tite group powder.xtreme bullets and cci primers from the 50s. Some might say its a matter of opinion. But its not. Its fact. Watch the gauling tests on you tube. I finished a new ar in febuary. Kirstened it with weapon shield. 3000 rounds and all i have done qas wipe the bolt off with a paper towel at the range. Still running and still lubed.

Last edited:

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    Not trying to get too scientific but a lot has to do with the ammo we shoot. I recently bought some fed american eagle value packs of 223. I shot 100 through a old ar15 and itvwasvhaving issues. FTE ftf and short strokes.wtf? I checked it out when I got home. It was so mucked up I had to soak the bolt and clean my gas tube. I won't even cover the bbl and chamber. I didn't even think they sold ammo that nasty. Never in all my days of shooting have I had an ar15 that filthy. I shoot 500 rounds of 223 a day on weekends and may get 2 grey patches. But I use varget. Big difference.

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    You guys have convinced me! I have already ordered a bottle of Weaponshield and a small tub of Weaponshield grease.

Thanks everyone!

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    Hey James. Make sure to let us know what you think. I'd like to know if the grease is worth it. I use the regular with a needle oiler I made. Let us know. Did you see weapon shield take a pound off of the trigger pulls when added to the hammer sear? I'll attest that ,that is true.

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Hey James. Make sure to let us know what you think. I'd like to know if the grease is worth it. I use the regular with a needle oiler I made. Let us know. Did you see weapon shield take a pound off of the trigger pulls when added to the hammer sear? I'll attest that ,that is true.

I will definitely do that. I did not see the video on the trigger pull, although I did watch about 3 or 4 other ones. Do you have a link? Thanks.

EDIT: I found the video on the trigger pull. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom