• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnwayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    I had an interesting discussion today with a fellow who owns land next to where I hunt. In that county you can kill up to eight deer. His concern is that if everyone in the area kill a bunch and also bring their friends and relatives in to kill a bunch that the local herd could be decimated and quality hunting could be ruined. He raises a good point that although the limit is county wide most of us hunt in one small area yet we could impact a much larger area.

This is an ethical issue, not legal, and makes one pause to think. Any thoughts?

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Any thoughts?

The deer are well populated. It would be highly unlikely that even a group of highly determined hunters could totally wipe out the deer in their area. If they tried, the deer would likely move to another area with less hunting pressure. Even if a local population took a decent hit, neighbouring deer would move in to take their place. The DNR knows their job and sets the limits according to their goals. They can easily reduce the number of bonus licenses if the herd ever starts diminishing in quantity. So far that's not been an issue. Ask any farmer, they would be glad to see the herd actually reduced.

foamkiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Three years ago the "if it's brown it is down" crowd started hunting the section where I own. Between my bordering neighbors and me we own 160 acres. There are only 3 people hunting these properties, however in the rest of the section there were approximately 18 other hunters. These fine examples of Indiana deer hunters shot nearly every thing that moved. The last two years have been miserable so much so that if I didn't have a lifetime license I would not spend the money to hunt Indiana again. So yes it is possible to F up an area even if each hunter doesn't kill their limit. Too bad so many of our Indiana hunters don't realize that the deer are a renewable resource that WE have to manage. Killing 8 does is not managing the deer herd. I live in NE Indiana and have the opportunity to hunt Allen, Noble, Steuben and
    Whitley counties. Nowhere I have hunted or been through while driving have I seen an area that was over run with deer. The carrying capacity of our farm ground can support a lot more deer than we have. Myself I would rather see 25 deer a day than 25 deer in 3 months of hunting.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I had an interesting discussion today with a fellow who owns land next to where I hunt. In that county you can kill up to eight deer. His concern is that if everyone in the area kill a bunch and also bring their friends and relatives in to kill a bunch that the local herd could be decimated and quality hunting could be ruined. He raises a good point that although the limit is county wide most of us hunt in one small area yet we could impact a much larger area.

This is an ethical issue, not legal, and makes one pause to think. Any thoughts?

up to 8 deer or 8 antlerless?
    not sure what county you are in but some counties you can take 8 antlerless
    The total deer you could harvest could be
    2- Bow
    1- firearm buck
    8- bonus antlerless
    1-muzzleloader (doe)
    (and if the urban area you could harvest 2 more)

with out the Urban area the total amount could be 12 deer from the herd.
    Now you have to think about what is your purpose and what would you do with that many??

Oh no doudt if say 20 hunters in a 5 mile area took advantage of this is could have lasting affects on the numbers of deer for years to come

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Bag Limits :dunno:

girl-in-a-plastic-bag.jpg

foamkiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Had a guy in the shop a day or so ago saying that there is not the number deer this year that there was in the past. He proceeded to tell me that he and his two buddies have hunted the same property for over 10 years. He said it was nothing for him and his friends to have 9 deer killed by noon on opening day of gun season. In fact they did it several times but now there are no deer. I told him gee I don't know why.

Top Bottom