• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    I think I have a bad wheel bearing but I want to be sure before I either take it to a shop or do the work myself.

Here's a video to better explain the noise than text would.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuBycuuD5ak&feature=youtu.be

It's a 1995 Toyota Celica my brother gave me for Christmas last year and it's had numerous problems such as bad struts (which I replaced), a stuck open thermometer and no coolant O.O and a few other things including this.

I'm trying to nail down the high priority things to fix first, so the car will last awhile.

Last edited:

phred

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Columbus
    I have a Nissan Murano and had the left front bearing go out. It sounded like I had monster mudders or some super aggressive off road tire.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    I think one of the best ways I learned how to tell is to jack the car up, pull the tire off, and see if the wheel hub has any wiggle in it. It should be stiff, only moving in the typical 360 degree plane. It shouldn't have any other planar movement ie: back and forth (if that makes any sense).

Bearings are a cheap fix, but they're a royal pain if you don't have a good bearing set.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    I think one of the best ways I learned how to tell is to jack the car up, pull the tire off, and see if the wheel hub has any wiggle in it. It should be stiff, only moving in the typical 360 degree plane. It shouldn't have any other planar movement ie: back and forth (if that makes any sense).

Bearings are a cheap fix, but they're a royal pain if you don't have a good bearing set.

Yeah it makes sense, I am planning on doing that later in the day as I have an interview I have to be at soon.

Do I need a press of some sort to remove them, I know they're pressed in there somehow.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    That's a front driver isn't it? Last one I did required a large (36mm) socket to pull the hub apart. Make sure you have all the tools before you get it torn down enough you can't drive it unless you have access to another vehicle.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    That's a front driver isn't it? Last one I did required a large (36mm) socket to pull the hub apart. Make sure you have all the tools before you get it torn down enough you can't drive it unless you have access to another vehicle.

Yeah it is, I have a pretty decent tool kit with a 36mm socket so taking things apart shouldn't be a problem, if not I do have accesses to 4 other vehicles and drivers to take me to part stores. :D

Rbadger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Auburn, IN
    If you need a special tool check with your local Autozone. Their lend a tool program is pretty decent. and if you need a press to put it back in you can always try this
    picture.php

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I've done many wheel bearings, the biggest pain is when all the parts are seized together. Make sure and have penetrating oil for bolts that are heavily rusted, and I normally coat the new bearing with anti-seize prior to installing it. I'm not sure on your Toyota, but on some vehicles the bearing is bought as a whole assembly that bolts right on. Either way I'd suggest purchasing a Haynes manual from your local parts store, it should walk you through it step by step. Good luck

Automotive Repair Manual from Haynes

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    I've done many wheel bearings, the biggest pain is when all the parts are seized together. Make sure and have penetrating oil for bolts that are heavily rusted, and I normally coat the new bearing with anti-seize prior to installing it. I'm not sure on your Toyota, but on some vehicles the bearing is bought as a whole assembly that bolts right on. Either way I'd suggest purchasing a Haynes manual from your local parts store, it should walk you through it step by step. Good luck

Automotive Repair Manual from Haynes

I have a few bottles of penetrating oil, anti seize sounds like a good idea if I ever have to removing anything again, I'll pick some up before I start working on it.

I bought the Haynes manual when I received the car, though I ended up sending it back since it covered far too many years from the 80's to the late 90's. The model they worked on was a late 80's model so it didn't exactly help me with my sixth gen Celica (95), I ended up buying the Chiltons and haven't been disappointed with it yet.

Top Bottom