• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    I am an avid backpacker and with a new pack I just bought I've run into some carry issues. On my old pack, I have an old green pouch that I would attach to the right side hip strap and put my gun in there. This does work, but it moves around quite a bit, and with this new pack my arms brush it when using trekking poles. That being said, im looking for a new option.

I have seen several chest rigs and I was wondering if anyone out here has any experience with them. The one I do like based on my research is the Kit Bag by Hill People Gear | Home. The "snubby" model is small enough to hold a Glock 19. My concern with any chest rig is that it's straps will be under my pack straps and I am concerned about long term comfort. I think the chest rig would "blend in" more and just look like another way to store gear. Anyone who has done any long distance backpacking knows that most hikers are very scared of guns and not gun-friendly, so having a carry method that looks like another place to store more hiking gear is a priority.

The other option I've been thinking about is a fanny pack. I know-a fanny pack. As far as my backpack sits up on top of my hips, I think I could find the right fit for a fanny pack that would work as well. And it would be the cheaper of the two options.

I appreciate your insight. Thanks.

fochman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Have you tried a comfortable IWB holster? My wife and I enjoy riding rail-trail bike paths and I also like to conceal carry while doing so. I have a Blackhawk holster that I use with my Ruger P345. Just pull a t-shirt or sweatshirt over it and nobody's the wiser.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I am an avid backpacker and with a new pack I just bought I've run into some carry issues. On my old pack, I have an old green pouch that I would attach to the right side hip strap and put my gun in there. This does work, but it moves around quite a bit, and with this new pack my arms brush it when using trekking poles. That being said, im looking for a new option.

I have seen several chest rigs and I was wondering if anyone out here has any experience with them. The one I do like based on my research is the Kit Bag by Hill People Gear | Home. The "snubby" model is small enough to hold a Glock 19. My concern with any chest rig is that it's straps will be under my pack straps and I am concerned about long term comfort. I think the chest rig would "blend in" more and just look like another way to store gear. Anyone who has done any long distance backpacking knows that most hikers are very scared of guns and not gun-friendly, so having a carry method that looks like another place to store more hiking gear is a priority.

The other option I've been thinking about is a fanny pack. I know-a fanny pack. As far as my backpack sits up on top of my hips, I think I could find the right fit for a fanny pack that would work as well. And it would be the cheaper of the two options.

I appreciate your insight. Thanks.
    I would avoid the fanny pack like a plague, its an additional strap around your body when there is no need for it to be carried.

If your new pack (you didn't mention the brand/style) doesn't have a hip/waist strap pocket then you may want to consider buying a pocket and attaching it to your waist. Several companies make them, they slip over/attach to your waist strap and are available in multiple sizes.

I've never tried a shoulder rig, but there are some designed for hunters that would probably attach to your shoulder straps.

FWIW, I know a LOT of backpackers carry. One of the backpacking forums, of which I am a member, has quite a few members who carry and are not afraid to admit it.

Have you tried a comfortable IWB holster? My wife and I enjoy riding rail-trail bike paths and I also like to conceal carry while doing so. I have a Blackhawk holster that I use with my Ruger P345. Just pull a t-shirt or sweatshirt over it and nobody's the wiser.
    Riding packs sit higher on your back that a backpack designed for hiking. The hiking backpacks waist strap would rub into the gun as a well designed backpack transfers the weight to the hips and uses the arm straps for stabilization more than weight. No way a well designed backpack designed for hiking will work with an IWB. Further, there would be no way to access the gun with the pack on.

Appendix carry?
    Only if carried on the outside of the belt of the backpack. For traditional appendix carry the gun is IWB and the strap of a backpack is going to be going right across that portion of your body, if the rubbing of the gun by the pack doesn't kill you, the fact that you'd have to drop your pack to get to your gun might.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I use an IWB holster inside one of the waist belt stabilizer straps. That keeps it in the position where I am used to carrying when I am not wearing a pack, and then if I go for a day-hike away from my pack I can still carry it normally without having a separate holster. When I have to carry concealed I put a bandanna over it and it covers it quite nicely. This works whether I am carrying my G29 or my G20.

When I am backpacking where weight is a premium and I am not worried about larger animals (just the 2 legged ones) then I carry my .380 in a small pouch that also threads through the stabilizer strap for the waist belt.

I have hiked many hundreds of miles with this configuration and I've found it comfortable and convenient.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I kept my Kahr CW9 (with holster and extra mag) inside my pack during our family AT hike. Not readily accessible, but there and ready. She Who Must Be Obeyed still freaks over OC and I had enough to do planning each day's hike and tending to filters and stoves. If I can get to that point I would holster it on the outside of the waist belt. I would rather have carried my P95DC or Ruger Mark II bull barrel, but those thing are HEAVY. I'd rather avoid hauling them up every mountain on the trail.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Next year for warmer weather I am going with a Hill People Recon bag. Reason I like the Recon is I can reconfigure it for fishing, hiking or hunting, with or without a pack. Yes it can work for colder weather too but I have gone in a different direction for that this winter.

What I am using right now still allows me to draw quickly but also carry some gear as well and I can dump all of it very quickly. As matter of fact I had to do that not long ago when my dog was caught in a stream in a drowning trap so the concept worked for me. She had just backed off of a porcupine, caught scent of a Grouse then all hell broke loose in a stream she was crossing. Everything was with me when I dumped my shotgun and coat and went into the stream but as I went into deeper water, I put it on the bank right there with me while I worked on the Dog. If I needed tools they were in the bag. At first I thought my dog had run into a Wolf but when I saw otherwise, I started dumping big guns and coats. The bag I am talking about is not ideal for use with large packs but it reinforces needing to be able to keep the gun with you when you dump packs and other gear. If I had a HPG bag on that day I would have left it on as I went into deeper water, that is one thing I like about it. I live in a bog by a river, water is all around us and is impossible to avoid. I am in a kayak a lot now too, having a gun chest high is nice for that as well.

For years I have also used a Kabar TDI fanny pack and it works very well in a lot of situations, with or without a small pack. Drop leg holsters are nice for dirty work and getting in and out of the truck a lot, like chainsawing or whatever, I am not a huge fan of walking for hours with them but it works with a pack too. There is works and then there is works great. :)

I have a lot of options and ways to carry from a .380 through .45/10mm based on the task at hand, it is just now where I live being outside equals .45 or 10mm, in town or on the road maybe 9mm but bigger stuff is still in the truck. Something you can carry and access is better than nothing but I have yet to find a single solution to all my activities.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I don't have any good suggestions right now, but perhaps a sternum bag of some sort would be good for carry with a backpack. I'v enot really looked for anythning like this but I would think there might either be something available or adaptable to your needs.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

The pack I recently bought is an REI Flash 45 ultralight pack. The pack I had before was a 70L pack that had more straps and support to carry my glock 19 or 26 on the hip strap. This new, lighter pack, simply cannot bear the weight on the hip strap. IWB carry or even appendix carry would be covered by the hip strap, so thats a no-go. While I want to be able to simply carry a firearm while packpacking, I also want it to be in an area that I can grab it very easily.

I like the chest rigs by thier design, but my real question is (for those of you who have used on with a hiking style backpack) is what is the comfort like? It appears they have several straps that ride under your backpack, which I can assume would be felt while on the trail. Also, if anyone has any good internet hiking forum suggestions, I'd love to hear those as well. Thanks again.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I do the HPG Runner kit bag. I lash a VanGuard holster to the inside of the bag such that it pops off the trigger as the pistol is removed from the bag. Mine usually contains a pistol and a rangefinder.

I don't notice it at all apart from when I'm on my chest, climbing or similar. It is built with provision to interface with your pack's straps so that some of its weight is borne by them. Do that and it is hardly noticeable.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Go HPG. You won't regret it. My Snubby fits great under my 65L Osprey pack. I keep my phone, lighter and G19 in mine. I like the fact that I can drop my pack and still keep the essentials on me. It's very comfortable.

Top Bottom