• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    With things as crazy as they are, and hearing of long wait times, how will that be affecting sales at the 1500. If you are buying from a dealer not close to your home, how long can you wait for the call to clear. That could be a factor. I know I wouldn't mind waiting a couple hours if necessary but longer could be a real drag.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not sure what your talking about. I think they just call the State Police or ATF. What would take tha longest is waiting your turn in line from the guy you're buying the gun from. A friend of mine had to wait about 45 minutes, because 5 people were in front of him for the background check.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    With things as crazy as they are, and hearing of long wait times, how will that be affecting sales at the 1500. If you are buying from a dealer not close to your home, how long can you wait for the call to clear. That could be a factor. I know I wouldn't mind waiting a couple hours if necessary but longer could be a real drag.

How close the dealer is to your home means nothing, as long as it's the same state.

I've bought a few guns in the past 2 weeks. With the exception of one day - between Christmas and the weekend after New Years, all my NICS checks were gotten through on first try and processed quickly.

The 1500 should be no different - as far as the phone part..

What's going to take a long time is getting TO that point, because there will be 30 people in front of you waiting for the "proceed."

Baloo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I went 2.5 days waiting for my ok from the ATF, of course having a common name didn't help, but this was a couple weeks ago. Last purchase prior to that one was in 2003, and it took a whole 2 mins to get the ok. Most you'll have to wait is 4 business days, unless you're denied.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Some recent call ins have taken less than five minutes, however others have taken over an hour to complete. It just depends on the amount of phone traffic at the time of the call.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    ive been bumped to second level twice in the last two weeks. both took about 45 mins and from the stories ive heard i got lucky.

a LGS said at one point the ATF was just putting all NICS checks on delay if it hit second level.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Don't want to here it ,the wait is past ten days here in colorado:xmad:,but that's because the state thinks they have to do a redundant check before calling the feds

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    NICS volume

I witnessed a buddy buying a gun a week ago and the LGS couldn't get NICS to answer the phone. The assumption was they were simply overwhelmed with calls. Hard to tell about wait time.

This was posted on another forum yesterday reference a gun auction in KY:

"Announcement before the auction that even though the auctioneer was a FFL, the ATF told them that they could not do checks and release the guns today at the auction site. The guns had to be released after the check from their home office tomorrow (Sunday).

This meant that if I purchased a gun, I had to complete my check sheet today and pay them, then drive 200 miles round trip to pick up my gun tomorrow."

Hope something like this doesn't happen at the 1500. Good thing they don't have to do background checks on fudge and German roasted nuts! :D

Cto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    I was at PSS today and one of the guys behind the counter had the phone on speaker waiting with a small list of buyers to check. I could tell him and the customers were getting a bit annoyed so I asked out of curiosity. 1 hour and 10 minutes, and still on hold!

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    a LGS said at one point the ATF was just putting all NICS checks on delay if it hit second level.

No true in my area, my long gun came in last week to my LGS and I got bumped to the 2nd level review, took another minute or so and I was cleared and on my way. My LGS said that in the last two weeks or so, everybody seems to be getting bumped up for further review.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    Same as 45ACP223. I picked up a mosin M44 carbine Saturday. FFL said everyone was bumped to next level. Took 15min instead of the usual 5.

Ghettomedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    I have purchased 3 handguns in the last two weeks and none of the calls have lasted over 4 minutes. But they were all around 5:30-5:45pm after work so maybe that is a slow time. I also just moved to Indiana so I was thinking that would be a problem but it has not presented to be yet.

Top Bottom