Back yard fun with my best little buddy!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    My son and I have been working on his firearm safety and shooting skills. He's doing GREAT on both! He's doing an excellent job with muzzle awareness and trigger safety. I'm really proud of him. We have been practicing in the back yard with his Gamo Delta .177 pellet rifle. It's been an excellent training rifle. Nice length and weight for an average size 9 year old. Noise isn't too bad if you live in a neighborhood as well. My son can break and load it without much trouble. I've been trying to get him to sit and rest his rifle on the table to steady his shot. He prefers to stand at this point. Also trying to get him to get his head further up on the cheek rest, but he has a little trouble with the stock length. It will come in time.

I'm confident that he is ready for his first .22! My Marlin 60 is way too long and heavy for him. I will probably look at a Cricket or something similar soon.

Here's some pics from today at about 12 yds. My boy wanted me to put up the shot of his first target today because he nailed the bullseye. He wanted to show off a bit for you guys! He thinks it's really cool that he is going to be on what he calls "the gun site"! :ingo:

Simple back yard shooting time does not but strengthen our bond. Times like this are absolutely priceless to me. He's growing up on me so blazing quick!

Oh, and a little secret he and I are not supposed to tell, but Mom missed the target and backboard and put a hole in the vinyl siding on the garage. She needs more practice!
    :D

P8232640.jpg

P8232645.jpg

P8232642.jpg

P8232649.jpg

Last edited:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My son is nine and we do the exact same thing in our backyard against the garage. Funny! And he is my bud too... a little mini-me. You should see old photos of me then look at photos of him at the same age, everyone swears he is a clone. He and my 12 year old daughter are both my shooting buddies.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Good stuff, I will always remember spending time with my Father shooting. I used to shoot my pellet gun also in the backyard as a child. Cherish the moments, as they are precious! Thnaks for teaching him the right way, and for being safe!

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Thanks for posting all! I let my son read this thread before he went to bed tonight. He got a big kick out it. It brought a huge smile to his face.

Great people on this forum. Nice to see others carrying on the tradition.

Proud to be a member! :ingo:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm glad it brought a smile to your sons face. Glad to see you are passing on our rights to the next generation. With the way things are going, we will need future patriots to protect our rights :patriot:

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    You tell that son of yours that he is one fine young man. His shooting is very impressive and we're ALL proud of him for showing such great responsibility and respect for guns. He will be a great sheppard one day.

I seriously hope you are joking.

Joking about his wife giving permission? Or introducing a 5 year old to the world of guns?

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    Thanks for sharing the pictures and congrats to him on the bullseye,If you are looking for a great little starter 22 rifle may I suggest a Rossi youth model,i bought one used for my 7 year old and it also came with a 410 shot gun barrel.I bought it used in really good condition for $100.00,My little man loves it and when the leaves start to fall he hopes to get his first squirrel this season. Good bye for the money.

Top Bottom