Back Ground check for some thing you own?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok so I get the call today to pick up my Bersa from the gun store, only after not receiving a call back from them. Great customer service guys I guess with them the service ends at the sale. But Since I can not say anything nice about this gun store I will remain silent and know they have lost my business for good. Has any one every had to fill out a back ground check for a firearm you already own? Had to do this today to pick up my firearm from the seling store. They said there were transfering it back to me so they had to do a back ground check! Really!!! so I fill out the paper work and wait and wait and wait. Finally after seeing it sit there for way to long they get to it after doing a bunch of others for preople making a new purchase. Again great customer service. So was wonderng if any one else ever had to do this? Seems kind of dumb since I never transfered ownership to them just asked to handle a warranty repair.?

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Well I know that shops do that when they take in a gun on consignment. Once they take possession and enter it into their book, then they need to do the background check again if the gun is taken back unsold.
    The same applies to when they take in a gun to ship to an out of state buyer, at least here in CT they do log it into their book when they take possession.
    So I can imagine that the same applies for repairs.
    Now why didn't you just send the gun to the company yourself for warranty repair?
    Then I believe that it could have been shipped back to you directly from the manufacturer or repair facility.
    But once an FFL becomes involved and they log it into their book which I believe that they are obligated to do by legal regulations, then the red tape follows.
    If they paid the freight out of their pocket then they did you a favor as part of their customer service.
    Not saying that they don't owe it to you, but a shop doesn't necessarily have an obligation to send it in for warranty work free of charge. At least not unless that's their policy.
    If the gun were stolen or came up missing after they took possession, then the fact that it was logged into their book proves that they were following proper procedure. When they take possession they log it in. And the owner could have become an ineligible person while the gun was being repaired due to a felony arrest, conviction, protective order, domestic violence charge or license revocation etc....
    Under Federal law, a person with a felony arrest but not yet convicted can continue to possess a gun but cannot receive a gun.

Last edited:

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    Same thing happens at a pawn shop when borrow money on a rifle.
    The background check is there to make sure it's legal for you to possess a firearm. It doesn't matter what happened last week or that you already owned it. The LGS and the law doesn't know how you came into possession and they don't care.
    At this moment in time, is it legal for the LGS to let you walk out of the store with a gun? The store did what they had to, they weren't just being dicks.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Same thing happens at a pawn shop when borrow money on a rifle.
    The background check is there to make sure it's legal for you to possess a firearm. It doesn't matter what happened last week or that you already owned it. The LGS and the law doesn't know how you came into possession and they don't care.
    At this moment in time, is it legal for the LGS to let you walk out of the store with a gun? The store did what they had to, they weren't just being dicks.

Oh no they were being jackwagons. They knew the gun failed the first time it was used! They ran 4 other background checks for people coming in well after they took my id and left it out unattended

There attitude was hey we already had an epic failure in the customer service Dept. They let it sit for 14 days before they sent it out. Then when I called a few weeks later was told they sent it to bersa call them. Well I called bersa who conversely were very nice and helpful they gave me a list of warranty centers to call to try and track it down. Finally found it in Louisiana.

I called them they confirmed they had it and it would be right when I got it back.

Not quite sure why the store that I purchased it from and returned it there could not simply check where they sent it. Oh I know because some one there would have to give a hoot.

So yeah they were being dicks

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Gun shops are running scared of the Feds. It is hard to blame any gun shop for double crossing T's and double dotting I's.

The Feds are actively looking to shut down gun stores and mete out prison time and huge fines for stuff that wouldn't matter not too long ago.

Warranty work should always be handled directly with the manufacturer or their authorized service center in case they decide to replace the firearm. I have gotten a replacement rifle on a warranty issue from Ruger. It came direct from Ruger.

Problems with a new gun are NEVER the LGS fault or problem.

FWIW, I had a problem with a new Bersa, I sent it to their Service Center and it was repaired and sent back to me within 2 weeks total time.

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    OP, you got all the right answers here.
    If you're asking the FFL to do anything with it (consign/ship/etc.), it goes in a book.
    To come out of the book, you gotta do the check.
    That's just the way it is.

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    WOW, just wandering why you bought from this store to begin with. I mean, I guess a lot of people do business with a particular store because they have gone there before and liked the service or they were refered there by a friend. My last purchase was based strictly on price but they seemed great on the front end anyway. You never know how they will treat you after the sale. Why can't you say the name of the store?

Jennifer003

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2013
    Australia
    There were transferring it returning to me so they had to do a history check! So I complete the documentation and delay and delay and delay. Lastly after seeing it sit there for way to lengthy they get to it after doing a lot of others for people creating.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    They said there were transfering it back to me so they had to do a back ground check! Really!!! so I fill out the paper work and wait and wait and wait. Finally after seeing it sit there for way to long they get to it after doing a bunch of others for preople making a new purchase. ?

There were transferring it returning to me so they had to do a history check! So I complete the documentation and delay and delay and delay. Lastly after seeing it sit there for way to lengthy they get to it after doing a lot of others for people creating.
    Is wcd (the OP) also Jennifer003 from Australia?

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    We should run background checks on everyone who votes in every election. NICS at polling sites I say.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    newny newny, newny newny, newny newny You have now just entered..... The Twilight Zone.

^^ Best I could come up with for Twilight music...

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    WOW, just wandering why you bought from this store to begin with. I mean, I guess a lot of people do business with a particular store because they have gone there before and liked the service or they were refered there by a friend. My last purchase was based strictly on price but they seemed great on the front end anyway. You never know how they will treat you after the sale. Why can't you say the name of the store?

This happened to me as well when the LGS called and said my warranty repair had returned. I was very pissed about the 2nd background check on the gun I purchased from them 11 months ago! Will never take one back to them for warranty repair again and may not buy another from them now that I KNOW their procedure. Sure wish they would have said something when I dropped it off as I never would have let them send it for me.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This happened to me as well when the LGS called and said my warranty repair had returned. I was very pissed about the 2nd background check on the gun I purchased from them 11 months ago! Will never take one back to them for warranty repair again and may not buy another from them now that I KNOW their procedure. Sure wish they would have said something when I dropped it off as I never would have let them send it for me.

This is hilarious!!! You have made my day with this!

They will probably have a tough time making payroll without your warranty business... :laugh:

Do you ever wonder why they lock the door and turn out the lights when you roll up?

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

Well I can tell you why it was because I was too impatient to wait and deal with my gun store of choice. Yea I should have listende to my instinct when I got there and just said no to giving them my business. All the sales people are paid on commissiopn only did not know that ahead of time. I ended up there because I called around and they were the only ones that had one. Go figure in nindsight!

This time I will be dealing with some one that values my business. I have to give a plug for Jerrys Gun shop as he has always been helpful and has fair prices. So yeah lesson learned.
    P.S. when I made purchased the Bersa originally they told me to bring it back there if there was ever an issue as I asked specifically about warranty and service agreements with Bersa. Did not know I could send it out my self, now I do thanks Guys.

Top Bottom