• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I thought I'd start a list of all the currently available rail covers. Feel free to add any that I missed! (pictures are required)

Magpul XT
    XTpanel.jpg

Magpul XTM
    xtm_05.jpg

Magpul Ladder Rails (also available from many other manufacturers)
    LADDERpanel.jpg

Surefire Ladder Rail Covers (slight variation)
    Z70%20on%20rail.jpg

TangoDown Rail Panels
    TD%20BP-4%20BLK-3.jpg

TangoDown SCAR Panels
    SC-006%20BLK%20TangoDown-2.jpg

BravoCompany 11 Rib Panels (who actually makes these? ProMag?)
    Rail%20Cover%2011Rib-2.jpg

Knights Armament Ribbed Panels
    item_571.jpg

Troy BattleRail Covers
    black%20rail%20covers.jpg

Ergo Standard Covers
    91352680.gif

Ergo Diamond Plate Covers
    91452200.gif

ErgoGrid Rail Covers
    gridlowprocvr.gif

Ergo Redi-Cover
    redicover.gif

ErgoLok covers
    lolock.gif

Ergo RibLock Rail Covers
    riblok.gif

Command Arms covers
    Uploaded_633821382904426942_File.jpg

Mako Thermal Rail Covers
    RCL_1.jpg

UTG Rubber Covers
    thumbnail.asp

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've seen some of those Ergos before, and others I have not (ErgoGrid or Redi-Cover).

I'm actually kinda surprised at how limited the selection of covers is in general.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Excellent! thanks for putting this together! Ive been wanting to buy some of these, but never can seem to find any I like at the 1500...... everyone must love those airsoft UTG ones though, cause thats all I can seem to find at the 1500.

Reps to you!

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a set of KACs that came with my RAS. Later, I purchased a set of the Surefire ladders. Of the two, my preference is the Surefire. Seems to fit my hand better.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good thread, and helpful info. It would be helpful to hear from folks that have used the different rail covers and their thoughts on them.

I currently have the Troy Battle Rails on my M&P15. They are light weight, and have a nice grip texture to them. Installation is easy, as they'll slide right on and then lock in place.

The downside is that they come in pretty much one size, which is carbine length.

I've also used someof the ERGO Standard Covers that came with my M&P Troy handguard. I really didn't like them. They do have a nice soft texture, but they feel heavier and not as "grippy" compared to the hard plastic Troy battle rails I mentioned above.

And, last but not least, I have used the UTG sections before. Heavy, and somewhat stubborn to install, but they will work.

Anyone have a review of the Tango Down Covers or Magpul XTM's? I see a lot of these on rifles, but curious as to the thoughts of the membership here.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    but never can seem to find any I like at the 1500......

Clay -- there is a guy that sells a bunch of AR stuff at the 1500 that usually is positioned in the exact middle of the showroom. All of his stuff is in narrow rectangle cardboard boxes on top of his tables. He then has some cardboard uprights that label the sections, like "AR", "AK", and "Shotgun".

His displays leave something to be desired, but he usually has ladder rails, Magpul XT and XTM, TangoDown, as well as a few others. I'd check there before you go tossing the generic UTG covers on your carbine.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It would be helpful to hear from folks that have used the different rail covers and their thoughts on them.

Excellent idea as well!

I currently use a combination of Magpul XT's and ladder rails. The XT's go on the sides and bottom of the forend, while the ladder rails cover any unused sections of the top rail (even on the upper receiver, between my optic and BUIS).

The things that drew me to the XT's were the price (Greg @ BGF made me a KILLER deal), the look/feel, ease of installation, and the ability to cut them as needed.

They are not quite hard, but they are not quite rubber-- its an odd material. The textured sections give me enough anti-slip without being abrasive. Because they're "not quite hard", installation is simple, only takes a few minutes, and can be helped along with a hair dryer-- making them even more pliable. I like that they are made up of several small sections, so I can cut them down to the exact size I need with just scissors. And, if I should need to put two cut pieces side-by-side, it still looks like one continuous piece.

They do a great job of protecting my rails, and are not prone to pulling or falling off.

I've also had some experience with lovemywoods' Ergo Standard Covers. They are a more rubbery material and provide decent gripping ability, even though they're mostly smooth. They too can be easily cut down to fit, but the cuts show up more, and you can't put two cut pieces next to each other without it being obvious. I think maybe I should get him some different ones to give his Colt a face-lift.

25fljbq.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Clay -- there is a guy that sells a bunch of AR stuff at the 1500 that usually is positioned in the exact middle of the showroom. All of his stuff is in narrow rectangle cardboard boxes on top of his tables. He then has some cardboard uprights that label the sections, like "AR", "AK", and "Shotgun"..

yeah, I think I know who your talking about! I think he might have a sign that says 'black rifle supply' or something like that. "Older" guy if I remember right (older than me anyway! ;) )

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I've used the Ergogrips, I like them. I just ordered some of the Tangdown grips you've put up here in your post.... since I'm not allowed to have UTG on a Daniel Defense gun. :stickpoke::lmfao:

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    Wow, didn't even know all of these existed! Thanks for this post!

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Use a combination of the MagPul and Surefire Ladder Rail Covers on the sides and tops with the Knight's Ribbed Panels at the six o'clock position.

The new Larue clips look like just the thing for running wires to remote switches.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    lovemywoods just got some FDE ladder rail covers to replace his standard Ergo covers. I'm patiently waiting for pictures. . . .

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I'm patiently waiting for pictures. . . .

I'd say so... since 2009! :D

A search pulled up this old thread and I figured I'd bump it up to see what the latest greatest rail cover options and personal favorites are out there.

Top Bottom