• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was in a hit and run back on New Year's Eve in my 2004 Volvo S40 T5 - which I had owned for less than 2 months. I bought it from Butler Hyundai for $15,000. The private party Kelley Blue Book on this car as of today is roughly a little more than $11,000.

I took it to a Ford/Volvo dealer to have the damage estimated with the insurance appraiser. After their inspection, the total estimate came out to $10,900.

As soon as I heard the estimate, I called my claim rep and asked her to total the car out on the grounds that the diminished value of the car when completely repaired would be less than the cost to repair the vehicle. Let me digress by stating that I know that in the State of Indiana there are no laws/regulations covering the diminished value of a car involved in an auto accident. However, I used this as my argument that the car should be totaled.

45 days later the initial repairs were finished and the car was returned to me. I drove it for 12 days and took it back with 5 mechanical issues that were improperly fixed and another 5 that were never addressed. I should get the car back Monday with the second round of repairs costing between $1,000 and $2,000 - bringing the total repairs to approximately $12,000.

My claim rep. has now instructed me to get 3 quotes from dealers aquiring an appraisal of my vehicle WITH the damage it has suffered and had repaired...along with the retail cost of a similar model with no damage history. My first appraisal from a Volvo dealer place the value of my newly restored vehicle at $5,500 when considering the severity of the damage it suffered. The current going rate for my year, make, model is still approx $15,000.

I know that's a long story, but I was curious if anyone has any experience in situations like this or can add any advice on how to deal with the insurance company to try and recoup some of the money I've lost out of the vehicle?

thanks.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Take it to Allen at Diamond Collision in Avon. He is the ONLY honest body shop I have ever dealt with and I have a car there now for a total repaint and another waiting to go in b/c I broke out the rear glass yesterday. He has worked on a total of 4 cars for me as well as several for friends. All have been completely satisfied. He is an INGO sponsor and avid shooter as well. I totally trust his word and judgement! He will give you the straight scoop.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Thanks, COLT556

I like to support our sponsors. Anyone in Madispn County need an excellent repair shop (not body-work) I'll give you the name of one who has saved me over $2000 in repairs (all guaranteed one year) in the last 2 years.

Willard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Anderson
    Google "badfaithinsurance.org"....I got screwed myself & wished I'd have looked before paying decades worth of premiums. Also alot of good useful info on the site most people aren't aware of. You won't get justice, atleast not in Indiana. Governor appointed Comissioner at the IDOI, all are taken from the insurance industry, and return when their term is done. Who do you think they're gonna side with? Daniels 1st appointed a Snake Farm agent (who I believe declined), so it's the fox guarding the henhouse. I spend years bitching, no one cares.......

Top Bottom