• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    The RO is usually not the problem. It's the shooter who doesn't understand what MAGAZINES OUT ACTIONS OPEN means. I say it twice before each cease fire. When I walk the line and the magazine is not out or the action is not open I am required to make it so. I know that is a terrible burden on some people and causes them a lot of anguish when I pick up their firearm and open the action or remove the magazine. If that is your situation WW might be a better place to shoot.

buzz815 said:
    As a CRSO I love having the POWER to pick up and SLAM DOWN any firearm I want. I am working today so be sure and bring a rubber mat for your shooting bench. I can't wait to get there so I can Slam Down a few firearms after I admire them.

I've been shooting for about 26 years, I know what magazine out, actions open means. Safety is my number one concern.

That being said:

You sure come across as an arrogant ass. Maybe that's just you being an internet tough guy, maybe you're just an ass all the time. If either of those are your situation, and you're currently working as a range officer, maybe another line of work would be better suited for you.

Maybe I'm not following your particular flavor of humor or something but I really can't see why someone who exhibits such obvious disdain for people at the range would continue to work there?

Last edited:

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I've been shooting for about 26 years, I know what magazine out, actions open means. Safety is my number one concern.

That being said:

You sure come across as an arrogant ass. Maybe that's just you being an internet tough guy, maybe you're just an ass all the time. If either of those are your situation, and you're currently working as a range officer, maybe another line of work would be better suited for you.

Maybe I'm not following your particular flavor of humor or something but I really can't see why someone who exhibits such obvious disdain for people at the range would continue to work there?
    Not a tough guy on the internet or in person. 99% of the people on the range are great people and I enjoy working with them. It's the other1% who consider themselves special people (Rules don't apply to me because I am special and never make a mistake) that are hard to deal with. Don't know where you fit in and don't care. I won't stoop to name calling, so you have a great day.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Not a tough guy on the internet or in person. 99% of the people on the range are great people and I enjoy working with them. It's the other1% who consider themselves special people (Rules don't apply to me because I am special and never make a mistake) that are hard to deal with. Don't know where you fit in and don't care. I won't stoop to name calling, so you have a great day.

See, now I am very much confused because you definitely sound like a completely different person in this post.

I'm not sure where you stand exactly but I assure you, while I am human and have made mistakes before, I am not the 1% you are concerned with.

I take firearms safety extremely seriously and would expect a CRSO like yourself to do the same, however, I would expect a stern verbal direction to clear down a weapon as opposed to the RO just "As a CRSO I love having the POWER to pick up and SLAM DOWN any firearm I want." as they see fit.

As far as name calling, I can see how you think I meant it as a direct insult. I didn't, I meant you are coming across as an arrogant ass, not that you WERE an arrogant ass. Obviously I don't know you from Adam and I don't like to "categorize" people without having first hand experience with them. I do apologize that I didn't make the difference clear.

That is my fault for not including the possiblity (although I alluded to my intent with my statement that maybe I'm just not understanding your post humor/sarcasm correctly) that you're just a safety minded RO who has a problem with people who create safety issues where you work. *Which, by the way, I 100% agree with the latter position*

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I work every weekend and every other Friday. I am the better looking of the two that work on the weekends. Khaki shirt and orange hat are my usual attire. I have met a goodly amount of INGO members in the last couple of years. All good people. Introduce yourself the next time you are there and if I can assist you in any way, let me know.

Will do!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    See, now I am very much confused because you definitely sound like a completely different person in this post.

I'm not sure where you stand exactly but I assure you, while I am human and have made mistakes before, I am not the 1% you are concerned with.

I take firearms safety extremely seriously and would expect a CRSO like yourself to do the same, however, I would expect a stern verbal direction to clear down a weapon as opposed to the RO just "As a CRSO I love having the POWER to pick up and SLAM DOWN any firearm I want." as they see fit.

As far as name calling, I can see how you think I meant it as a direct insult. I didn't, I meant you are coming across as an arrogant ass, not that you WERE an arrogant ass. Obviously I don't know you from Adam and I don't like to "categorize" people without having first hand experience with them. I do apologize that I didn't make the difference clear.

That is my fault for not including the possibility (although I alluded to my intent with my statement that maybe I'm just not understanding your post humor/sarcasm correctly) that you're just a safety minded RO who has a problem with people who create safety issues where you work. *Which, by the way, I 100% agree with the latter position*

I can see where Buzz is coming from. Sometimes people interpret things differently, then they are meant to come off as. 99% of people at the range are good people, and follow the range rules. Then you get that 1% who think they know everything, and do not need to be told about safety and such. When people get complacent, that's when accidents happen. The rules are simple. If you have spent any real time around guns, you should know them. If not then just ask. That's one reason for having a RO, is to help people. I have been around guns for a good while, but I'm always learning something new.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I feel like I need to jump in here. My wife and I (and my son-in law) have been going to Atterbury for over a year now. We know Buzz, and know him to be one of the friendliest people you could hope to meet. He takes safety seriously, and we appreciate it. Last time we were there when he was, I had forgotten to remove the empty magazine, but had locked back the action on my pistol, at the cease fire. Instead of pointing out my mistake to the others, he merely removed the magazine and went on. I , for one, appreciate guys like that. Thanks, Buzz, for the great work you do! :yesway:
    Mark & Deb

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    " As a CRSO I love having the POWER to pick up and SLAM DOWN any firearm I want. I am working today so be sure and bring a rubber mat for your shooting bench. I can't wait to get there so I can Slam Down a few firearms after I admire them. Give me a break."........

Buzz you are to funny....... :lol2:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Update: The wife and I were at Atterbury today (Sun. 7/11/10) We had a great time and got some useful instruction, and good conversation, as did others. But alas, no RSO trolls jumped out from under their bridges to harrass innocent shooters. I was kinda hoping to see a good gun slammin', but noooo....... :popcorn:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The RO is usually not the problem. It's the shooter who doesn't understand what MAGAZINES OUT ACTIONS OPEN means. I say it twice before each cease fire. When I walk the line and the magazine is not out or the action is not open I am required to make it so. I know that is a terrible burden on some people and causes them a lot of anguish when I pick up their firearm and open the action or remove the magazine. If that is your situation WW might be a better place to shoot.

The rules are pretty clear-cut. Shouldn't take a rocket scientist to follow them. :patriot:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I feel like I need to jump in here. My wife and I (and my son-in law) have been going to Atterbury for over a year now. We know Buzz, and know him to be one of the friendliest people you could hope to meet. He takes safety seriously, and we appreciate it. Last time we were there when he was, I had forgotten to remove the empty magazine, but had locked back the action on my pistol, at the cease fire. Instead of pointing out my mistake to the others, he merely removed the magazine and went on. I , for one, appreciate guys like that. Thanks, Buzz, for the great work you do! :yesway:
    Mark & Deb

+1! ;)

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I have been to Atterbury twice since it went to a fee based range. It had been years since I had been to the range before it went fee based. Once I went and it was a free-for-all. Lots of the gun store owners in Indy would comment at the madness that one could COUNT ON taking place down there. A few years later, went back. This time I think it was still free, but they had a trailer or something, and there was a range person on-duty. Likely made it safer, which is a good thing.

The first time I went after the conversion, it was ran by the former contract person. I left my Glock facing down with the breach facing towards the table. I don't know if I or the range officer touched it, but all they or I did was flip it 180 degrees. He requested I just do that and everything would be great. My rifle was unloaded with bolt pulled back. During this trip, I was trying to sight in a rifle that had never been fired before. I was way off, but couldn't tell. One of the range officers was nice enough to help me out. I later learned a few tricks of the trade. However, their officer back then really helped me, and I was grateful for his help and kindness.

Recently a few of us went about a month ago. I have been training a relative how to shoot and she is still somewhat new to shooting. She shoots a .357 snub nose and we shoot .38 specials during training. She had always been doing well, but today she was wearing contacts, one for far away, the other for up-close. She was actually shooting high, hitting the last baffle over and over, but I didn't see this as I was looking at the target, which was put as close as possible. Thankfully one of the range officers saw this and he was nice enough to give her some instructions. The problem was her contacts. When she took them out and put her glasses on, she was doing fine. He carried around a front sight picture hard and gave her a few minutes of instructions. She actually felt comfortable enough there, that she said she would feel comfortable going by herself. I just told her that technically the rules say they can charge for shooting posts and/or baffles, and that next time just make sure she is on target. They were nice enough to not charge us any extras for shooting a baffle that had see many more bullets than just her four or five shots.

As far as $6/hour, I hope that price stays. For three hours of shooting it would only be $18.00, and two hour movies were going for $11.00 per person at some theaters. If Beech Grove is close in price, then we might give them a shot, but I would much rather shoot at Atturbury than Pops. Pops is just too busy and they are the only game on the east side of town, and for the most part the NE and S side of Indy.

We may try Wilbur Wright, but I know their shortest range is a fixed distance. Was told that sometimes if there is only one shooter, a range officer there might allow the person to move the target closer.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Wanted to add that I have just recently started shooting at public ranges, this is mostly due to teaching a relative and shooting with family. So far, we have went to Pop's twice, Atterbury once. I have been to Atterbury and Pops and additional time as well. Out of five range trips, I did have one time where some fool didn't know what the hell he was doing. This guy was older, so it wasn't some dumb youngin. This guy got a jam on his XD or XDm. It was basically a bad feed, for whatever reason. Now this guy did appear to suffer from some disability, so maybe he didn't have the strength or something. The thing is, he couldn't clear his weapon. He initially made some slight statements, "Like 'Uh, Oh.'" in an attempt to get someone's attention, because he obviously had no idea on what to do. Instead of putting the gun down, he started to swing it around. His barrel was pointing away from the range. He then proceeded to put it back on the table, or I thought so, then when he saw I didn't acknowledge him, he started walking back, with the gun in hand, and these other guys said "Whoa, point that down range." At that moment, I yelled "HERE" and slowly moved in a manner to grab the pistol from him. I could tell he at least knew enough to keep his finger off the trigger, and there was some safety as in it was clear the slide was stuck back.

I took this gun to his stall, removed the magazine, and yanked the slide back. Bullet came right out. Let him know that if it happens again, to just lay it down on the bench, barrel facing forward, and let me know and I would help him. This was at Pops, where they don't have someone in the shooting area during live fire. They were busy, so no one working would have likely saw this happen.

This is why I don't mind paying $6/hour. I have no problem paying for another set of eyes while shooting. 90% of shooters likely have no problems. 5-9% likely are OK, but sometimes do things that aren't safe (example, fingers on the trigger. If pointed down range, not that big of an issue, but too many folks think as soon as they grab the gun off the table, they just have to have their finger on the trigger.). Then there are the idiots and the "I can do no wrong!" types.

I personally would pay a little extra to have separate shootings lanes with thick brick walls on both sides of me. Thick enough to stop some random bullet from coming through. However, that likely won't ever happen due to costs, but I would fell much more comfortable with some sort of shielding since the person down the line from me might be an idiot.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Buzz +1

After my trip to Atterbury this weekend I can honestly say that I think Buzz is a class act and in no way shape or form goes on any "Power trips".

Buzz, my hats off to you for your military service to this country. Also the way you help people at the range is commendable as well.

I would say Buzz and Eric @ Atterbury definitely strive to provide a safe and fun environment that is shooter friendly from beginners like the young man around age 10 whom I saw you assisting all the way to some of the guys I saw putting 10+ consecutive rounds in the 1" ring.

I apologize for my misinterpretation of your previous posts as clearly you were speaking sarcastically on the points I took offense to.

Again let me just say for anyone thinking about going to Atterbury but thinking they might have an issue due to "RO's".... I don't believe you will have any issues so long as you practice safe shooting habits and follow the range rules.

Also, Buzz next time I'm down there, I'll be sure to introduce myself, and I do sincerely appreciate not only your previous military service but also your current obvious dedication towards firearms safety and increasing the enjoyment of current and future generations of shooters.

-SSD

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    SafeShootingDad, Thank you for the kind words and please introduce yourself the next time you are down. I get paid but I don't work there for the money. I work there because I have fun and I meet a lot of great people. Thanks again Buzz

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I have been to Atterbury twice since it went to a fee based range. It had been years since I had been to the range before it went fee based. Once I went and it was a free-for-all. Lots of the gun store owners in Indy would comment at the madness that one could COUNT ON taking place down there. A few years later, went back. This time I think it was still free, but they had a trailer or something, and there was a range person on-duty. Likely made it safer, which is a good thing.

The first time I went after the conversion, it was ran by the former contract person. I left my Glock facing down with the breach facing towards the table. I don't know if I or the range officer touched it, but all they or I did was flip it 180 degrees. He requested I just do that and everything would be great. My rifle was unloaded with bolt pulled back. During this trip, I was trying to sight in a rifle that had never been fired before. I was way off, but couldn't tell. One of the range officers was nice enough to help me out. I later learned a few tricks of the trade. However, their officer back then really helped me, and I was grateful for his help and kindness.

Recently a few of us went about a month ago. I have been training a relative how to shoot and she is still somewhat new to shooting. She shoots a .357 snub nose and we shoot .38 specials during training. She had always been doing well, but today she was wearing contacts, one for far away, the other for up-close. She was actually shooting high, hitting the last baffle over and over, but I didn't see this as I was looking at the target, which was put as close as possible. Thankfully one of the range officers saw this and he was nice enough to give her some instructions. The problem was her contacts. When she took them out and put her glasses on, she was doing fine. He carried around a front sight picture hard and gave her a few minutes of instructions. She actually felt comfortable enough there, that she said she would feel comfortable going by herself. I just told her that technically the rules say they can charge for shooting posts and/or baffles, and that next time just make sure she is on target. They were nice enough to not charge us any extras for shooting a baffle that had see many more bullets than just her four or five shots.

As far as $6/hour, I hope that price stays. For three hours of shooting it would only be $18.00, and two hour movies were going for $11.00 per person at some theaters. If Beech Grove is close in price, then we might give them a shot, but I would much rather shoot at Atturbury than Pops. Pops is just too busy and they are the only game on the east side of town, and for the most part the NE and S side of Indy.

We may try Wilbur Wright, but I know their shortest range is a fixed distance. Was told that sometimes if there is only one shooter, a range officer there might allow the person to move the target closer.
    I always carry my sight alignment-sight picture card in my pocket while working the range. I use it several times every day. Glad I could help out. Buzz

Top Bottom