• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    How far is it from Bloomington? I have to go to work for 30 minutes, but would love to check out the range.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I do not know an exact number. Because I'm not sure what roads you would take. Here is the link to their website. Maybe that will help more then I can.

Atterbury Shooting Complex

I was thinkin about going but $6/hr is more than I can afford right now. Seems to have a lot of rules too. Was this range built with tax payers money? Last time I shot down there it was free, lol, givin my age away. :rolleyes:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I was thinkin about going but $6/hr is more than I can afford right now. Seems to have a lot of rules too. Was this range built with tax payers money? Last time I shot down there it was free, lol, givin my age away. :rolleyes:

Mostly Federal money. The State did cheap in a bit. I know $6 an hour kinda sucks. I have a new rifle I want to site in though. Yes they do have a lot of rules, and they always have at least 1 range officer. I liked it much better when it was free, but what can ya do. It's closer then Crossly, and I can not get into Cearland without my Dad. Well it's time to get ready and head that way!

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    $6 is better than $12 like it used to be. The complex is run very well, and although the RSO's like things done their way, they're generally not too onerous.

My advice is that if you want to avoid the RSO's handling your guns, remove your bolts from bolt action rifles and take a chamber flag for semi-autos and handguns. Follow the instructions to a "t" and you'll have a fine time.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You vill do az ve say or you vill not shoot! Now show us your veapon dumbkhof!

I understand the need for rules and safety, it's their range and that's fine. I just don't like people handling my weapons. I've found out that they usually have no clue what they are looking at or how to operate them. Just my $.02. Hope you guys had fun. There is a little range at Gnaw Bone too. It seemed pretty nice the time I went.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have never actually had a RO pick up one of my weapons. I make sure to lock the slide, bolt, etc to the rear and have the breach facing up. My Mom, Dad, and I usually go to Cearaland on Saturdays. The heat really gets to my Dad since his cancer surgery. I just had an itch to fire my new rifle.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I should be down at Atterbury tomorrow sometime mid day with my (non active duty) marine buddy and father.

I haven't been since they privatized the range. The first time someone other than me or my group attempts to handle my firearms will be a big issue. Is this a common practice by the private guys?

If so I might just drive over to Wilbur Wright instead. It's a little further but it's free and from what I understand the RO's aren't a problem.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I should be down at Atterbury tomorrow sometime mid day with my (non active duty) marine buddy and father.

I haven't been since they privatized the range. The first time someone other than me or my group attempts to handle my firearms will be a big issue. Is this a common practice by the private guys?

If so I might just drive over to Wilbur Wright instead. It's a little further but it's free and from what I understand the RO's aren't a problem.

Today there was only one RO, and he was a very nice guy. He never picked up anyones firearms. He just checked to make sure mags where out, and slides/bolts etc. where locked to the rear.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty

The RO is usually not the problem. It's the shooter who doesn't understand what MAGAZINES OUT ACTIONS OPEN means. I say it twice before each cease fire. When I walk the line and the magazine is not out or the action is not open I am required to make it so. I know that is a terrible burden on some people and causes them a lot of anguish when I pick up their firearm and open the action or remove the magazine. If that is your situation WW might be a better place to shoot.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    JBusch8899; I have also watched one RSO pick up a range patron's Wilson Combat 1911A1 to admire the same. When the owner said something said:
    I can't imagine ever picking up someone else's gun w/o asking permission. I had some RO pick up my M1A Super Match at Markem Park (sp?) in Florida one time when my back was turned. I asked him to please put it down and he said he can pick up anything he wanted with a sneer on his face. I took my $2000 rifle from him, placed it in it's case and left. If he would have slammed it down like the RO above it would have needed removed from his arse. I understand rules and restrictions but fingering other people's property is something different.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I have had one pick up my Glock, I kept my mouth shut as it wasn't really a big deal (how does one break a Glock?), but it didn't make me happy that some total stranger comes along and starts handling something that wasn't his.

I have also watched one RSO pick up a range patron's Wilson Combat 1911A1 to admire the same. When the owner said something, the RSO slammed it unto the shooting bench.
    What was unique abour your Glock that it was picked up? I see hundreds of them on the range. and unless it wasn't locked open, the magazine out and pointed down range so I can see the chamber I would have no reason to touch it. As a CRSO I love having the POWER to pick up and SLAM DOWN any firearm I want. I am working today so be sure and bring a rubber mat for your shooting bench. I can't wait to get there so I can Slam Down a few firearms after I admire them. Give me a break.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    As Buzz said, rather you agree or not or whatever. The procedures are in place for safety. If the chamber is empty, the magazine is removed, and the slide is locked to the rear. Then there is no chance of an accidental discharge. Also not allowing people to touch their firearms while others are down range. I have seen some people do some stupid things, at ranges with no RO's.

Yes I wish it was still free to shoot, but it's a good option. I mean if you get pulled over for speeding, and you know darn well you where in fact speeding. Are you going to argue with the officer, if he writes you a ticket? Same goes for a RO handling your weapon, if you are not following proper range procedures.

I can see saying something, if they mishandle your weapon. I personally have not known anyone that has had that happen to them.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    What was unique abour your Glock that it was picked up? I see hundreds of them on the range. and unless it wasn't locked open, the magazine out and pointed down range so I can see the chamber I would have no reason to touch it. As a CRSO I love having the POWER to pick up and SLAM DOWN any firearm I want. I am working today so be sure and bring a rubber mat for your shooting bench. I can't wait to get there so I can Slam Down a few firearms after I admire them. Give me a break.

Hey Buzz are you the stoky guy, with the shaved head? If so I have seen you there. If I'm up that way again, and I see you I'll say hello!

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Hey Buzz are you the stoky guy, with the shaved head? If so I have seen you there. If I'm up that way again, and I see you I'll say hello!
    I work every weekend and every other Friday. I am the better looking of the two that work on the weekends. Khaki shirt and orange hat are my usual attire. I have met a goodly amount of INGO members in the last couple of years. All good people. Introduce yourself the next time you are there and if I can assist you in any way, let me know.

Top Bottom