• ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi guys and girls;
    Well my wife wanted to go to the Edinburgh, Ind. Mall to shop and I said sure, if we go Saturday. That way I can go to the Atterbury shooting range just up the road and sight in my new AR-15 that I have never shot even though I've had it almost a year.
    I haven't been to the Atterbury range since it was remodeled and I wanted to check it out anyway. It was a fine day, just perfect in fact.
    I drove in through the gates on paved roads and the parking lots were paved also and went to the shotgun range (Skeet and Trap I believe) at the far end and a nice guy named Milt took my seven dollar fee for the first hour, additional hours are five dollars. Then since I wanted to shoot rifle, he directed me back down the road to the other range where I met another nice fellow named Dennis, the DNR, Range Master for the day and he had me sign-in and assigned me to a lane and told me when my shooting time would start. It's all very well organized now, not come as you are like it used to be and as I was to find out, that's a good thing, very safe. There is a warning sign on the door not to bring any LOADED, CONCEALED weapons past the door, so don't.
    While I waited I took a look around and it is obvious that they spent some BIG BUCKS remodeling this range.
    The shotgun range has a new concrete block building where you sign-in that looks like a clubhouse where you can watch the action from inside and it has a few vending machines. I didn't spend much time there but it has restrooms and the range is fenced in to keep someone from accidently walking into where they shouldn't be for safety reasons and there is a rather large parking lot next to it. All walkways are concrete, no more mud.
    The rifle/pistol range is all new and very nice. It also has a large paved parking lot and the range is also also fenced in and it has a new concrete block building also with restrooms but looked to be a bit smaller. They both looked to be more than just one story buildings but I didn't look around much or ask about them because my shooting time was about to start.
    From a HOT range, the Range Master calls a two minute warning before CEASE FIRE is called over the not so loudspeakers, I found it hard to hear him, maybe the volume was just turned down a bit. I wear hearing aids and didn't have them in and was wearing ear plugs to boot so I had to pay very close attention and then flashing red lights all up and down the range come on and you are told to remove magizines, open actions, pick up your new targets and step back away from the very substancial and solid shooting tables and seats and go behind the YELLOW LINE while he checks that the weapons are safe. You are not to go too or touch the shooting tables or anything on them again untill the range is again HOT. You also do not cross the RED LINE in front of the tables untill told to do so to change targets and after you change targets you are to return to a point behind the YELLOW LINE untill the COMMENCE FIREING order is given. This all takes about 10 minutes then you shoot for about 20 minutes and the whole thing starts all over again.
    There are very thick and heavy concrete slabs over the top of the range mounted at an angle on heavy steel beams so that no wild shot or accidental discharge can get out of the range and the steel beams are covered with thick wood so as to stop any ricochet if they are hit but they still let light and air in. The lanes themselves are situated so that the 50 yd. range is on the left end, the 100 yd. range is in the middle and the 25 yd. lanes are on the right end. I didn't count all of them but there were 6 lanes on the 100 yd. range and about 20 on the 50 yd. so my guess would be that there were probably 20 on the 25 yd. range.
    They are about to change vendors to operate the range soon, one has reportedly been chosen but not yet confirmed by the regulating authority so we'll have to wait and see who it is.
    The hours at present are Saturday 9 am to 5 pm and Sunday 12 noon to 5 pm. I can't see the range being open all week long but maybe Sat. Sun. Tues and Thurs or maybe Sat. Sun. and Wed. because those who are lucky enough to still be working may not be able to go on Sat. or Sun.
    Well I hope this is of some help for those of you that have never been to the Atterbury range before or like me, for a long time and I'm sorry I forgot to take my camera, pictures would have been a nice touch.
    Have a great week everybody.

Top Bottom