• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm out of town and this happened less than 5 minutes from my house... My wife and I spoke on the phone about this tonight and she is really ready for me to work with her on safety. She realizes that she needs to know how to defend herself and our children, especially if I'm away from home. She has real problems with firearms, but she specifically said tonight, for the first time, that she was ready to learn how to protect herself.

Here is the story...

Home invasion suspect in custody» Evansville Courier & Press

After a search of nearly three hours Tuesday evening, Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Officers reported having a suspect in an unsuccessful home invasion robbery south of Darmstadt in custody.
    The invasion by a masked and armed man occurred about 6 p.m. at 1612 Fleener Road. According to police dispatchers, the would be robber, who was wearing a devil’s mask and carrying duct tape to secure the home’s residents, demanded a specific amount of money.
    He fled on foot after he was attacked by the residents of the house. A mask and an air pistol were recovered nearby, dispatchers said.
    Officers shut down Fleener Road between Darmstadt Road for more than two hours Tuesday evening as they conducted a door-to-door search of residence in the area for a man.
    The intruder was described as a mixed-race male in his early 20s, about 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighing about 150 pounds with short, black curly hair.
    The man was said to be wearing a dark-colored lightweight jacket over a navy blue hoodie. He may have also had a T-shirt with white lettering and possibly a peace symbol.
    Sheriff’s officers brought a canine unit to the scene in an effort to track the suspect who is believed to have fled on foot.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Wow....glad it wasn't you. Can you imagine if you were home?...Devil mask!...that would take me by suprise. It's good your wife is realizing that it could happen to anybody. I'm sure her training will also give you more piece of mind when you are on the road.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Wow....glad it wasn't you. Can you imagine if you were home?...Devil mask!...that would take me by suprise. It's good your wife is realizing that it could happen to anybody. I'm sure her training will also give you more piece of mind when you are on the road.

It's interesting... my wife really got hung up on the devil mask part of the bad guy's disguise. It really bothered her. It's almost as if it made it more real and "evil" for her.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I'm glad she is ready to learn.
    Maybe you can get her to take some classes with you. :)
    My wife asked for "something" the 1st year we were married.
    We lived in a townhouse and our neighbors got robbed. They tore the place up pretty good.
    I was away a lot. Being in the Navy can have that effect.
    After our 7 day wait we visited the police range that was less than a mile from where we lived.
    It wasn't long before she started out shooting me with the Star PD .45ACP.
    She still shoots and I think she could handle herself in the event of a break in.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    My wife doesn't practice nearly as much as I do. But she does enjoy the occaisonal trip to the range. I always make sure that I update her with any changes with the way I store our home defense weapons. As long as she is aware of which weapons are where, I feel pretty comfortable that she would not hesitate to use them in the appropriate scenario.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I really hate to hear when "bad things" happen in my neck of the woods, always gets me thinking. I agree with most of you when I say, I wish my wife had more hours behind the gun. She is a great shot, but she doesnt concern herself as much as I do.

With the way society is stumbling, I see more and more of this happening...prepare yourselves!

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Folks,

As I've posted before, home invaders are NOT burglars. Like this schmuck, he was carrying duct tape. Naturally, that is used to secure the residents and allow the invader to commit various nefarious acts of mayhem and malice.

These home invaders are not visiting your home to sell magazine subscriptions. They are there to rape, pillage, and conduct all sorts of reprehensible acts. Home invaders specifically target occupied residences in order to obtain money, drugs, etc.

Home invaders deserve the immediate violent response that can be mustered against them. No negotiations, no accomodation, just a rapid, overwhelming show of force will stop them.

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    Folks,

As I've posted before, home invaders are NOT burglars. Like this schmuck, he was carrying duct tape. Naturally, that is used to secure the residents and allow the invader to commit various nefarious acts of mayhem and malice.

These home invaders are not visiting your home to sell magazine subscriptions. They are there to rape, pillage, and conduct all sorts of reprehensible acts. Home invaders specifically target occupied residences in order to obtain money, drugs, etc.

Home invaders deserve the immediate violent response that can be mustered against them. No negotiations, no accomodation, just a rapid, overwhelming show of force will stop them.

So burglars are trying to sell you magazine subscriptions? I guess I'm trying to figure out what you are getting at. A burglar and a "home invader" have much in common, and their goal is usually similar. In this case, the home invader's motive was robbery, as was made clear by his demand for money. Just because he intended to secure the victims doesn't change the motive.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    So burglars are trying to sell you magazine subscriptions? I guess I'm trying to figure out what you are getting at. A burglar and a "home invader" have much in common, and their goal is usually similar. In this case, the home invader's motive was robbery, as was made clear by his demand for money. Just because he intended to secure the victims doesn't change the motive.

Wrong!

A burglar wants to sneak in, take your stuff and leave. Preferably undetected, which means he prefers to burgle when you're not home.

A home invader prefers for you to be home. They get off on terrorizing you while they take your stuff. It's a power thing. They want to see you squirm, be in pain, who knows?

I've bolded the part of your quote where you apparrently understand part of this or at least acknowledge that a burglar and home invader are different.
    Robbery is what you say. Robbery means you demand money from a person. Burglary is different and slightly less immoral.

FWIW I have been robbed several times while managing pizza places.
    I have NEVER been "secured" in any of them.
    Again a burglar : takes stuff and prefers no contact

a robber : uses threat of force wants to take the money and run (usaully)

a home invader: wants to stick around awhile

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Folks,

The way I see it, anyone in my home uninvited gets the same response. I don't care what name you put on them. They aren't there to do you any good.

I'm glad to see that the homeowners in the article got the best of this d-bag.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Glad it wasn't your home Big! and also glad that your better half wants some training to help herself protect the home front when you are gone!

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Crap, this hits close to home. IIRC, my dad grew up on Fleener Rd.. Isn't that right by Clearcrest golf course? I grew up halfway btwn St. Joe and St. Wendell, and my folks still live there. Good on Mr. Wall, and good on the sheriff for catching the perps.

I've been trying for 6 months to give my dad a G19, CZ P-01, 1911, anything he wants, but he didn't want it because he didn't have a LTCH. (yes, even though it would be in his home) Got that process underway, and the Sheriff in Vand. Co. wants to put people thru all kinds of hoops. What part of "shall issue" doesn't he understand? He should go one state west. Anyone from Vand. Co. who can expedite a LTCH, please PM me. What's with a wait, writing a letter of justification, and going through an interview?

Pop also says he doesn't want me to spend that kind of money on him. He stopped in Red Ghost, and he didn't realize what a quality pistol costs these days. (I'm not knocking Terry's prices) Maybe I can get him to at least take a pump shotty. He needs something more than his broken single 12, and broken iver johnson 22 that's old as dirt.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I JUST saw on the news tonight about a foiled home invasion in Salem. The homeowner shot and killed one, the other got away. He needs to be a member here so he can get thousands of reps for that.

Seeing that got my wife to thinking a little more and got us on the kids a little harder about keeping the door locked and not answering it. They are way too curious and always thinking it is one of thier friends stopping by, so they answer the door without thinking.

Me on the other hand, if not expecting someone, have a .38 in my hand just out of sight...

Kbowers9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Salem
    First of all: Glad it wasn't your home. It's really great that your wife is wanting to learn more about how to protect herself and your home. I just recently got my girlfriend interested in firearms and protection. I'm just trying to keep her involved and show her the benefits of always being safe and protected. Hope all goes well for you.

duke

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    Big I don't think I live too far away from you, glad everyone at your house is safe and sound.

Just Monday night I was up in the middle of the night watching t.v. when I thought I heard someone trying to get in the back door. I ran and turned on the flood lights and looked around with my S&W 9mm, but no one around... bad things can happen anywhere. Feels good to know I live in a country where I can defend myself though.

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    a burglar : takes stuff and prefers no contact

a robber : uses threat of force wants to take the money and run (usaully)

a home invader: wants to stick around awhile[/quote]

Three scenarios, one response: Bang, Bang!

Glad to hear this has stimulated some discussion! I hope it results in RANGE TIME together!! :)

--Sue

Top Bottom