• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I've heard some radio interviews with the folks who made this and the guy who financed it. I don't know how good it will be, but I know these guys aren't going to mangle the philosophy.

I really, really can't wait. I love movies, but I hate going to the the cinema. I haven't been to a theater in over ten years, but I might just go to see this.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I've heard some radio interviews with the folks who made this and the guy who financed it. I don't know how good it will be, but I know these guys aren't going to mangle the philosophy.

I really, really can't wait. I love movies, but I hate going to the the cinema. I haven't been to a theater in over ten years, but I might just go to see this.

Man, I am torn. I watched the trailer a few days ago. I sort of regret watching it because it didn't match my mental image of all the characters, scenes, and settings. I don't want the new movie to replace my old timey, black and white scenes that run through my head when I think about or read the book. I'm glad to hear that it is a tight adaptation though. I'll probably lay the 10 bucks or whatever a movie costs now days. Now to convince the wife....

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Posted from Lew Rockwell today:

The movie version of Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged–Part I of the trilogy–opens today. Here’s how to find out if it’s playing in a theatre near you. May it be much better than the trailer. I should add that my general rule of thumb is this: bad trailer = bad movie. The converse is less often true btw. Atlas Shrugged Movie - Theaters & Tickets

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Going to see atlas again in Carmel at 9:10 tonight with some friends. I will be giving out "who is john galt" bumper stickers to anyone that asks for them. I would love to see a bunch of INGO members come out for this. PM me if you want to grab something to eat with us before the movie.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I called the local movie complex to find out if it would be shown here. There is no plan to show it soon. :(

I don't like going to the "movie" theaters, but would have made an exception for "Atlas Shrugged".

I guess I'll have to wait until the video comes out to see it. :( LOVED the book! :rockwoot: (I, too, am disappointed that it is set in the present/future, but it points out - even more - "our" government as we have come to know it. ("Spread the wealth")

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    I called the local movie complex to find out if it would be shown here. There is no plan to show it soon. :(

I don't like going to the "movie" theaters, but would have made an exception for "Atlas Shrugged".

I guess I'll have to wait until the video comes out to see it. :( LOVED the book! :rockwoot: (I, too, am disappointed that it is set in the present/future, but it points out - even more - "our" government as we have come to know it. ("Spread the wealth")

Atlas Shrugged Movie - Theaters & Tickets

The book was always set "In the future" it was published in 57 and set in the '70's. Rand pretty much gave the world 13 years to go to hell. The movie is set in 2016 because we are all ready allot closer to her dystopia than she would have ever imagined.

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    What exactly didn't you like?

Terrible acting. The setting in the future was retarded. I mean, trains in 2016, LOL. The complete absence of Rand's philosophy. Inaccuracies in the story line that don't match the book. The ridiculous over use of "Who is John Galt?" Underdeveloped characters. The overall feeling that production of the movie seemed extremely rushed.

When I say the movie was terrible I mean the movie was an EPIC FAIL.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Terrible acting. The setting in the future was retarded. I mean, trains in 2016, LOL. The complete absence of Rand's philosophy. Inaccuracies in the story line that don't match the book. The ridiculous over use of "Who is John Galt?" Underdeveloped characters. The overall feeling that production of the movie seemed extremely rushed.

Well, you know that Obama wants that high speed train (and of course track) built don't you? (Billions more of our money wasted it he gets his way!)

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy

While the acting wasn't oscar worthy I wouldn't call it terrible, a bit forced at times, but then again most of the dialog was straight out of the book and Rand wasn't exactly known for writing things that are easy to say.

The book was always set in the not too distant future, it was written in the early '50 and set in the early 70's. If anything I think they should have pushed the time line back a little further.

As far as the Trains; when the book is centered around the railroad industry, it is a little hard to change that for the movie. Besides Heavy Rail systems move more goods in this country than is moved by any other means. And in the setting of the movie with nearly an 800% increase in fuel costs, the efficiency of rail systems would actually become a primary means of transport across the board.

The philosophy is there, it is in every line of dialog, we may not have to characters waxing philosophic, but it is the subtext of every scene.

and yes the production was rushed. it was filmed in 37 days for $20 mil.

Top Bottom