• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Harrison County
    Has anyone used an ATI compact 1911??? i have a friend that owns a gun shop that has a used model??? $430.00 Good/Bad??

I grew up around guns and have several, but i've never gotten into the 1911's. I'm in need of some good pointers things to look for or look out for. I guess you could say I'm pretty much 1911 dumb...

I have a Glock 21 and while i keep all my guns lock in my safe, I have kids now and Glocks don't have much of a safety on them.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    That seems a bit high for a used model, but I will continue.

3.5" 1911's are a bit finicky about ammo and magazines, even more so than their big brothers.

There's a lot going on in the recoil stroke that can lead to malfunctions, and all the tolerances and leeway in them are even smaller leading to possible areas to be less reliable.

I wouldn't own one. ATI is a pretty good brand, I just wouldn't bet on a 3.5" 1911. I know there is a certain someone that will come and disagree, but I still wouldn't bet on a 3.5" to remain 100% ;)

Nemesis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Harrison County
    That seems a bit high for a used model, but I will continue.

3.5" 1911's are a bit finicky about ammo and magazines, even more so than their big brothers.

There's a lot going on in the recoil stroke that can lead to malfunctions, and all the tolerances and leeway in them are even smaller leading to possible areas to be less reliable.

I wouldn't own one. ATI is a pretty good brand, I just wouldn't bet on a 3.5" 1911. I know there is a certain someone that will come and disagree, but I still wouldn't bet on a 3.5" to remain 100% ;)

Thanks, it's a great lookin gun and i like the safety features of the 1911, I've heard good and bad both about the 1911 with reliability issues. I love my Glock and I've had it for about 10 years and I've never had a problem out of it.

in your opinion what would it be worth, from what i could tell it hasnt been shot much.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I second what DoubleT said about the 3.5 1911s. 4" is the smallest I want anything to do with but I did take a Kimber on trade at one point that was 3.5 and it worked fine what little I shot it. Price may be a little high but it seems everything has gone up so who knows?
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    For proper pricing, need a bit more info, such as is it stainless or parkerized. tactical model, etc

Here's a 4.25" in stock at Buds

American Tactical ATIGFX45GI FX 1911 45 ACP 4.25" 8+1 So $389.00 SHIPS FREE

looks like $389 cash price

If he is a friend, will he allow you to shoot it first?

As others have said, I've always heard more issues with the Officer's Model sized guns than either the FS or the Commander sized guns, but I'm not a 1911 guy. Tried them a long time ago and admittedly bought the wrong ones which functioned very poorly. I've been a polymer pistol guy ever since.

Nemesis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Harrison County
    For proper pricing, need a bit more info, such as is it stainless or parkerized. tactical model, etc

Here's a 4.25" in stock at Buds

American Tactical ATIGFX45GI FX 1911 45 ACP 4.25" 8+1 So $389.00 SHIPS FREE

looks like $389 cash price

If he is a friend, will he allow you to shoot it first?

As others have said, I've always heard more issues with the Officer's Model sized guns than either the FS or the Commander sized guns, but I'm not a 1911 guy. Tried them a long time ago and admittedly bought the wrong ones which functioned very poorly. I've been a polymer pistol guy ever since.

It was stainless, how would I be able to tell if it was a tactical model?

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    Just to give you an idea on price and this was at my local gun store so I'm sure it can be beat. $479 brand new ATI FX45 Titan Compact in blue with a 3.2" barrel. I have to say, the slide performed with ease, and the fit and finish overall was very good. The trigger was better than the used Springfield next to it. That said, I would love a small barrel 1911A1 for CC, but I'm also leary on function reliablity. He's a link to the various models. The SS model list for $670. http://www.americantactical.us/8/catalog.html

Last edited:

Joedirt82

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Westfield
    I would say that they are asking a bit much out of a used compact ATI 1911. That just seems a bit high IMO. Since its used, see if you can shoot it. Also, I would try negotiating for sure on the price. New ones are about the same price as their asking price on the used one!

Nemesis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Harrison County
    Haha, he hates when I walk in his door to buy something, I bug the hell out of him when I buy something...I'm thinking of trading my Browning bps 10ga for the 1911 and 100.00

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    It was stainless, how would I be able to tell if it was a tactical model?

He probably has a Titan model. Tactical is part of ATI's name (American Tactical Imports). ATI is the importer, the gun is made in the Phillippines by SAM (Shooter Arms Mfg.). They mfg. firearms for many companies.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    It is the Titan with the 3 1/8" barrel. I had one. They are great pistols for the price. The biggest problem with them is the recoil assembly. They tend to peen and usually need replaced within the first couple hundred rounds. It is an easy fix just by swapping in a Colt Defender recoil assembly. I had to send it back and have the grip bushings fixed. Other than that it was a quality pistol from my experience.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    He probably has a Titan model. Tactical is part of ATI's name (American Tactical Imports). ATI is the importer, the gun is made in the Phillippines by SAM (Shooter Arms Mfg.). They mfg. firearms for many companies.

Yep, sorry, meant Titan version.

Basically, do some research online regarding pricing. Buds, and some others are good for reference prices.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would say that they are asking a bit much out of a used compact ATI 1911. That just seems a bit high IMO. Since its used, see if you can shoot it. Also, I would try negotiating for sure on the price. New ones are about the same price as their asking price on the used one!

This is my opinion as well...A bit much.
    I would not start out with a 3.5" shorty...you may be disappointed. They will have more issues per-say than a full size from my own experience.
    Look around and be patient. I have seen some nice full size Springfield and Para GI's for just a bit more here in the classifieds. Much nicer guns and better shooters IMHO

BudS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I tend to agree mostly with what everyone is saying about going to a full sized 1911 for your first. It would depend on what you want to do with the pistol. If it is for range shooting or open carry, yes. I've shot 1911's since I was a kid, and by far, it is my favorite platform.

I do disagree about the Officers/Tactical sized 1911's. I have had several over the years and had no funtionality issues with any. The only exception, I had my Kimber stovepipe once, but I think I "limp-wristed " it. My preferred EDC is a RI CS-Tactical, 3.5". I have polished all mating surfaces, throated and polished the barrel/feed ramp and the pistol funtions flawlesly. I has about 600-800 rounds through it with no malfuntions. You will have considerably more recoil with the smaller pistols, but as I said, they are mainly for concealment, not for shooting pleasure.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I think you could have done worse, a little much IMO. But I have seen alot worse come from "buddy" deals. I dont think you got ripped off, but a browning shotgun is about even trade for an ATI IMO. I understand hes in a business for money but it could have been worse.

Top Bottom