• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Went to the counter at a LGS and was told the ATF system is down.

He said he sold a couple guns early this morning, but since then it has been down.

Anyone else run into this?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I always thought that this would be a way to control gun shows. Just shut the system down on the weekends. I know a lot of shops and other stores would be affected but the government doesn't care. Oh and I'm not advocating this in any way, just surprised they haven't done something like this yet. :twocents:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I always thought that this would be a way to control gun shows. Just shut the system down on the weekends. I know a lot of shops and other stores would be affected but the government doesn't care. Oh and I'm not advocating this in any way, just surprised they haven't done something like this yet. :twocents:

:shady: Yup your on to it!!!!!

I wouldn't seriously worry about that. Any server goes down from time to time, Banks, Credit Cards you name it. With the amount of sales of firearms why would they be any different.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Heard that there were requests to call back, then a hold. but no one said it was down. I was at my favorite dealer twice today. He was swamped both times and the traffic was steady all day I guess. I think a year ago set a record for call ins, might have been busier today.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Black Friday Gun deals :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :ar15:

That's it right there^.

I had to keep dialing, dialing, dialing for 35 straight minutes to finally bypass the "We're sorry"/disconnect message to finally get to be on hold (in line) and wait for a chance to call some in.
    In the time that I started dialing for one 4473, by the time I did get through I had a train of them on the counter lined up.

It was just a high volume day. I'm sure there were big sales all over the country at all the Ganders, Cabelas, Bass Pros, and the like... and the phone lines were likely overloaded with checks being called in.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    NICS was up and down intermittently all day; call volume had "all circuits busy". When one of us did get in, we would keep the operator on the phone until we had cleared our backlog of checks. I think we ended up with only two or three checks that will need to be called in tomorrow.

And we still set a sales record! :rockwoot:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I was at the Stout Field Gun Show and wanted to purchase a couple rifles but was unable to since NICS was down. NICS cost the vendor $1000. He was pi$$ed.

Like others have stated, it wasn't "down". It was a zillion people dialing in at the same time. NICS didn't cost the vendor $1000 sales...all the big box stores and their black Friday ads did. ;)

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    If the NICS system isn't functioning as designed then it is in essence "down". What normally takes 10 minutes was taking 2 to 4 hours for those that had the persistence to stick with it. A local gun store had wall to wall people today, some of them leaving and coming back hours later to complete the check, because of the NICS trainwreck.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If the NICS system isn't functioning as designed then it is in essence "down".

Generally, "down" is equated with "not working at all", when in fact it was just delayed service due to overload.

What normally takes 10 minutes was taking 2 to 4 hours for those that had the persistence to stick with it. A local gun store had wall to wall people today, some of them leaving and coming back hours later to complete the check
    I'm just a teensy bit aware of that. ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom