• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    Has anyone heard anything about the AFT stopping imports from Russia.
    I heard it from several LGS.

EDIT I asked for more info and he said they were holding it in customs.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It seems to be the usual. Some people (supposedly including importers) say that it is at least temporarily suspending importation, others swear we are just being paranoid, and I have no idea where to find a definitive answer, or if it can even be done. The most transparent administration in history strikes again!

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Probably just a gun show rumor. It comes up all the time when dealers are trying to sell $500 cases of 7.62x39.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    They already have an agreement with the Russians to keep out many of their firearms, ever try to buy a new SVD? It would not surprise me to see ATF continue to violate our rights using import bans. Not like they haven't done it before...

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    They already have an agreement with the Russians to keep out many of their firearms, ever try to buy a new SVD? It would not surprise me to see ATF continue to violate our rights using import bans. Not like they haven't done it before...

Wouldn't there have to be legislation or at least public documents of this? I really don't know what is required to stop an import.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    yea, buying a new svd is a pain, I would love to have one, but finding it is almost impossible.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    What? We can no longer adopt their babies....or their guns? :D

The only thing they have left to export is cheap Vodka and YouTube dashcam videos.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itMdLTd1l4E[/ame]

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Wouldn't there have to be legislation or at least public documents of this? I really don't know what is required to stop an import.

Yes, there would be. Not like they can just call every importer and say "you can't import Russian ammo any longer. Don't tell any one. Good day, Sir. I SAID GOOD DAY SIR!"

Banning imports of any kind is a fairly complex task, especially if both countries are members of the World Trade Organization. The language gets really complex, and I don't understand exactly how similar something has to be, but ammunition seems pretty fungible. The WTO states:

"First, the principle of non-discrimination stipulates that a member shall not discriminate: between “like” products from different trading partners... "

Again, its complicated and I may not have the full grasp of this, but when you read it, it seems to say that if you are going to allow importation of ammunition (or poultry or nails or whatever) from ANY trading partner, you have to allow it for EVERY trading partner who makes the same thing.

**Edit**
    On a side note, there's been some discussion on if Russian firearms imports may ramp up, as the voluntary agreement between Russia and the US should be voided by their admission into the WTO last year. As it was a voluntary agreement, though, I don't know if they would continue to just abide by it and the Russians wouldn't try to import anything more than they do now.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, there would be. Not like they can just call every importer and say "you can't import Russian ammo any longer. Don't tell any one. Good day, Sir. I SAID GOOD DAY SIR!"

Unless you have a VRA.

My guess is that this is gun show panic talk being used to jack up prices a la the "closed magazine" of the Ruger Mini-14 in 1989.

Either that or someone found the VRA of 1996 and, for panic induced reasons, thinks it just happened.

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Importation of firearms and related parts from foreign countries requires an approved form 6 from BATFE, and in some cases, approval from the Department of State. Imports can be effectively and immediately stifled by inaction on the part of these agencies. Barrels from overseas are not permitted on form 6 and are effectively banned from import, and have been for several years.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne

Ya, cause the federal government finds it important to get our permission on firearm related laws and keep us informed.... Right?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    What? We can no longer adopt their babies....or their guns? :D

The only thing they have left to export is cheap Vodka and YouTube dashcam videos.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itMdLTd1l4E[/ame][/QUOTE

After watching this video it is clearly evident that there is an over abundance of vodka and dashcams in Russia. Wacky Ruskkies!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Top Bottom