• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    I've heard a lot about the possibility of the ATF taking you to task for selling guns privately without being a FFL, expecting to make a profit etc.

I see that hasn't stopped many from listing here. I know there are those that will always thumb their noses at anything the ATF says, but that's one hassle I don't need.

I wouldn't mind thining my heard a little but I don't want to draw undue scrutiny by ATF. Aside from those that flatly dismiss the ATF, I'm wondering what others think about how much to consider this issue.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've heard a lot about the possibility of the ATF taking you to task for selling guns privately without being a FFL, expecting to make a profit etc.

I see that hasn't stopped many from listing here. I know there are those that will always thumb their noses at anything the ATF says, but that's one hassle I don't need.

I wouldn't mind thining my heard a little but I don't want to draw undue scrutiny by ATF. Aside from those that flatly dismiss the ATF, I'm wondering what others think about how much to consider this issue.
    You're over-thinking it.
    They must prove you are "in the business of selling guns for profit", and without a license.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I'll help you out and take what you have off your hands at a loss...

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

I doubt the INGO membership thumb their nose at the AFT, regardless of what they think of them.

There have been quite a few threads on this topic and as stated above, your good to go as long as you're not making a business out of it and/or turning a profit...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just hope they don’t take the loose “ profit“ attitude the IRS does. The IRS seems to think that any money you have today that you didn’t have yesterday his income. So if you magically came into possession of $400 and one less gun in the gun cabinet I wouldn’t be surprised if they still want to consider that as a profit.

I could see them making you show your work to prove you didn’t buy that pistol for $300.

Practically speaking, the only time you’re going to get your nuts in the vise on this one is if you’re going to gun shows and setting up tables months after months after months. Just emptying your gun fault of a half dozen guns on here isn’t going to even be a blip on their radar.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I get the feeling that if you regularly buy plastic 9mm handguns, US-made AK pistols, and basic ARs, and resell them at a markup shortly thereafter, you're going to be on their radar. If you're selling collectible revolvers and milsurp guns for more than you paid for them 20 years ago, they probably don't care.

Last edited:

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    The IRS has taken upon themselves to repeatedly redefine the meaning of income and profit. When the 16th amendment (income tax) inheritance, barter, currency exchange, etc were not considered income. Now with Chevron Deference gone, might we see a more restrictive definition of income?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The IRS has taken upon themselves to repeatedly redefine the meaning of income and profit. When the 16th amendment (income tax) inheritance, barter, currency exchange, etc were not considered income. Now with Chevron Deference gone, might we see a more restrictive definition of income?
    Yeah, my fave is the 1099 credit card companies issue you if you ever negotiate down a repayment. If they write off $5,000 of your debit, you'll get a 1099 for that amount because the IRS will consider that profit.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The ATF is a very shady bunch. The IRS needs to stay out of it.

The IRS passed laws a couple years ago with online sales. I buy a guitar for $900 and sell it a year later for $700. The site legally reports it to the IRS, and I can either pay Taxes on $700 or I have to do the tax paperwork to prove I did not make money. If you don't do the paperwork, you are paying tax on a loss, that you initially paid the tax to buy.

If the ATF and the IRS would get together, even the best of us would be penniless and in prison.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I get the feeling that if you regularly buy plastic 9mm handguns, US-made AK pistols, and basic ARs, and resell them at a markup shortly thereafter, you're going to be on their radar. If you're selling collectible revolvers and milsurp guns for more than you paid for them 20 years ago, they don't care.
    That would maybe make sense, but I don't trust them to have any common sense or use any wisdom.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yeah, my fave is the 1099 credit card companies issue you if you ever negotiate down a repayment. If they write off $5,000 of your debit, you'll get a 1099 for that amount because the IRS will consider that profit.
    I don't actually have an issue with that. They tax that $5k that I make to pay my bills, why not tax that $5k that the guy who decides not to pay his bills ends up keeping.

Of course, the guy not paying his bills is probably finding a way to not make taxable $$ as well so he's probably getting back more than he paid in (which should not ever happen in a tax system unless it's also a welfare system like we seem to have in the US)

Last edited:
    Reactions: KLB

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    …The IRS passed laws a couple years ago with online sales. I buy a guitar for $900 and sell it a year later for $700. The site legally reports it to the IRS, and I can either pay Taxes on $700….
    That is the issue at hand. Congress makes law. IRS enforces. ATF enforces.

Chevron deference allowed ATF/IRS to be overly creative. No more.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What we all do in November could make a noticable difference in all of this government overreach. It might actually be our last chance?

We will have to win so big that they can't rig to pull it off.

:twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Oh, like we did last time?

So, don't let them do it again!

Fool me once...

On top of the massive fraud last time, we allowed "our own," nevertrumpers to dissolution a lot of republican voters.

Even here in Indiana (and other solid red states,) the wins in 2020 were not so overwhelming that the fraud from the "swing states" could be questioned as not possibly legit.

The "I just couldn't" and "mean tweets!" crowd need to be talked down and made aware.

Just heard reporting from the Georgia Trump rally about their governor publicly stating he won't be voting for Trump. Kemp can vote for who he wants, but when he opens his mouth to intentionally screw the pooch for the rest of us, he needs to hear from ALL OF US about keeping his pie hole shut!

Our friends and family in the GA need to hear from us. They need to slow the roll of their arrogant self-centered SOB!

:nono:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom