• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I completely agree that it SUCKS when you go into a gun shop and the guy tells you that you don't want the specific item you asked for. Or, even worse, he says "What you want is this right here" while he grabs something out of the case that costs $300 more than you wanted to spend.

Having said all that, if you are willing to hear it, there are legitimate things about XDs that aren't great. Many guns have flaws, XD is another one of them. However, they seem to be the craze, and not many people want to discuss their flaws. You shouldn't necessarily disregard what the guy had to say.

How thrilled would you have been if you'd come to me to buy a Glock, and I started talking to you about Kabooms?

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I am going to retract the part where I said I'll never be back. I was a little upset with the guy at the time but I realize that it was just one employee. I'm going to give them another chance whenever I need something else. Having said that, I'd rather not give the shop name out at this point. Everyone else seems to have good experiences there. I didn't have a great experience at the store I finally purchased from either, but life goes on.

I also understand that there are some flaws with every firearm. The things that this particular individual mentioned were personal preferences that he used to try and steer me away from the XD and into something else.

Basically, I have been doing a ton of research on the matter and pretty much had it narrowed down to 2 handguns. I didn't need to be sold. The firearms sold themselves. I just needed pick it up from a store that I felt comfortable in and this wasn't the place at that time.

So what are the legitimate flaws. I would really like to know. I decided on S&W M&P 9c anyway.

See it is true, If you do the right thing, you'll come out on top in the end. :D

M&P FTW !

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yep, those "gun shop" stories are mighty interesting. Can sure get some dandy advice in some interesting places

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I completely agree that it SUCKS when you go into a gun shop and the guy tells you that you don't want the specific item you asked for. Or, even worse, he says "What you want is this right here" while he grabs something out of the case that costs $300 more than you wanted to spend.

He's usually about 12 years old and his daddy had one or it's in the latest Guns and Ammo...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    How thrilled would you have been if you'd come to me to buy a Glock, and I started talking to you about Kabooms?

If you'd told me that there have been problems in the 40 cal with unsupported barrels, and that an aftermarket barrel solves that problem, I'd be happy. Further, if you pointed out that the rifling isn't the most suited for lead use (esp. soft lead) I'd know not to shoot a ton of soft cast bullets (or again, aftermarket barrel).

What you are failing to believe is that this REALLY isn't a Glock vs. XD argument. XD came up, because thats what the OP was buying. The statement wasn't about how Glock are beyond reproach or anything like that. It was trying to help the guy open his ears so that he doesn't reject truthful information.

What pisses me off the most about this constant argument is the bait and switch tactic. Instead of actually addressing what a person says, they respond by insulting the opposite side of the story. What does a Glock KB have to do with this guy purchasing a XD?

Let's try an example. Let say I am going to marry some girl. My friend points out that she has a mustache, doesn't cook, and has money problems. How should I respond? Should I thank him for trying to help me out, or should I respond and tell him that his wife is getting uglier with age? IMO, its the same exact thing. People who close their ears like that are destined to learn things the hard way because they refuse to take advice.

My point was that the guy shouldn't disregard the advice given him.

Citizen 5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Warsaw
    There's a guy that works at a store here in town that "used to do security" and has his own brand of tactics... He recommends that if you ever have to breach a door with a BG on the other side, go to it on your butt--because the BG will be aiming for head/chest height and won't expect you to be on the ground shooting between your knees. (That's for sure!)

He also frequently mentions what he'd be able to hit offhand at X number of yards with Y gun. :rolleyes:

Oh, and the difference between a PPK and a PPK/S is that the PPK is blued and the PPK/S is stainless steel. :):

"Metal mags will rust away in less than a year"
    Aw crap! So the mag from my Grandpa's old (WWII) 1911 is only there in my imagination?

"well.... you know the old saying; I'd rather be missed by a .45 than hit by a .25"
    Well, I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I'd rather get hit by a .45!

"you can make an AR full auto by filing down the firing pin"
    Ok, seriously: how the heck is that supposed to do you any good... even in pretend land?

or how to disable a 45 by grabbing it by the front and pushing the slide to engage the disconnect. woops.
    Like 42769vette said, That one's actually... sorta true. On a lot of 1911s, if there's pressure on the end of the barrel, the hammer won't fall. However, actually using that as a defensive measure is about as smart as kissing a cobra.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    There's a guy that works at a store here in town that "used to do security" and has his own brand of tactics... He recommends that if you ever have to breach a door with a BG on the other side, go to it on your butt--because the BG will be aiming for head/chest height and won't expect you to be on the ground shooting between your knees. (That's for sure!)

He also frequently mentions what he'd be able to hit offhand at X number of yards with Y gun. :rolleyes:

Oh, and the difference between a PPK and a PPK/S is that the PPK is blued and the PPK/S is stainless steel. :):

Aw crap! So the mag from my Grandpa's old (WWII) 1911 is only there in my imagination?

Well, I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I'd rather get hit by a .45!

Ok, seriously: how the heck is that supposed to do you any good... even in pretend land?

Like 42769vette said, That one's actually... sorta true. On a lot of 1911s, if there's pressure on the end of the barrel, the hammer won't fall. However, actually using that as a defensive measure is about as smart as kissing a cobra.

Some gun maker is advertising that myth..
    they claim having the muzzle & guid rod extend out the front of the slide is a safety feature to prevent the gun being disabled..

I Think it ws an XD ad...

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I was at the gun store last week and this old scruffy guy asks "What's the biggest pistol you got?" I decided to be polite and said "Right now, a S&W 19 .357." He goes, "That's nothin' Im buy a 45-70 revolver!" After he left, the shop owner told me, "You know, he carries a Ruger .22." People are funny.

Top Bottom