• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I was just coming to post this. Heaven forbid we allow a company to sell a product to a consumer... Where is "equal protection"? I guess corporations aren't entitled to that. I wonder if McD's is allowed to sell Christie fries without using a fry dealership.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Side story:

If you buy a Corvette, an option is to pick it up at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. The museum is on the same grounds as the plant, however GM cannot simply wheel your car off the line and over to the museum. It must go through a dealership first, so they load it up, take it to a dealership that does whatever paperwork has to be done, and then is brought right back and put in the museum. Its been that way since the museum opened.

Back on topic:

After learning the above back in 2000 (as a patron of the museum, not as a Corvette purchaser) I just figured GM had contracts that prohibited them from direct sales to protect their dealerships from being undercut. Now I wonder if KY doesn't have a similar law as is under discussion here.

Regardless, it seems calculated to keep small companies out of the marketplace, and the automotive industry is already one with an extraordinarily high bar to entry.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    For law school orientation (the week before classes began), a very intense looking professor (Randy Barnett) told my section that the purpose of the law is to seek economic rent or to build fences. Man, was he right or what?:D

This is New Jersey, where it is illegal to pump your own gas.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    See! Capitalism needs a (better) referee. That's what gumm'nt is for. And defense. And subsidies for my daughter (PrintCraft).....

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    See! Capitalism needs a (better) referee. That's what gumm'nt is for. And defense. And subsidies for my daughter (PrintCraft).....

Gasp! You missed an attempt to blame this on the Koch Brothers. Looks like the long winter has slowed you down a step, Lefty...(better head back to DKos for a refresher).

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I am facepalming so hard for my old state. Anyone else think it's strange that the handful of states that have banned it have republican governors? Thought they were supposed to be for a free market.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am facepalming so hard for my old state. Anyone else think it's strange that the handful of states that have banned it have republican governors? Thought they were supposed to be for a free market.

Some are, some aren't. But either way, even ideology has a price. And politicians have to repay campaign donations somehow. Likewise, Indiana's antiquated booze laws aren't still on the books because of morality.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Tesla as a company is a scam. It exists only to benefit from imposed government credits. It legally steals the wealth of the citizens of the country under the pretense of being "green" The car itself is neither green nor is it economically viable. Government dictates it so and uses redistributes taxpayer funds to wealthy buyers of these $100k cars and enriches the crooks who simply have the algorithm that determined how to profit the monolithic government regulations.

Tesla, the company the stole it's name from a real person, is a shining example of everything that is wrong with government.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Tesla as a company is a scam. It exists only to benefit from imposed government credits. It legally steals the wealth of the citizens of the country under the pretense of being "green" The car itself is neither green nor is it economically viable. Government dictates it so and uses redistributes taxpayer funds to wealthy buyers of these $100k cars and enriches the crooks who simply have the algorithm that determined how to profit the monolithic government regulations.

Tesla, the company the stole it's name from a real person, is a shining example of everything that is wrong with government.

It's an example of crony capitalism which makes a "free market" defense for them kinda silly.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The result of this legislation would be the same whether it was green energy tesla or a fossil fuel car upstart.
    Agreed. I'm not arguing in favor of the dealers. But for Tesla to complain about how unfair the market is when croney capitalism is the main pert of their business model, it's kinda silly.

ETA: I'm dissappointed your hypocrisy detector didn't go off on Tesla.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Some are, some aren't. But either way, even ideology has a price. And politicians have to repay campaign donations somehow. Likewise, Indiana's antiquated booze laws aren't still on the books because of morality.
    Republicans are the same as Democrats they are against freedom and that includes free markets.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't understand the hate for Tesla. Hate the government. Tesla isn't taxing you.
    I don't hate Tesla. But it's hard to muster sympathy for a company propped up by the government in a government sponsored artificial market complaining about government interferance in the market.

Top Bottom