Assembling an AR lower into a rifle is ILLEGAL!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Got this from another forum. Evidently a gun shop in Texas has these signs proudly displayed :n00b:

71290955.jpg

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    How much do you want to bet that shop has a service for assembling your lower by an "ATF approved" store employee?

That would be my guess...

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Since the lower receiver is the "Firearm" part of an AR 15 according to BATFE, and must be serial numbered, and sold as though it were a complete firearm, it doesn't make any difference what gets added to it after the sale as long as it isn't made into an SBR or a full auto firearm.
    Texas may have some weird law that makes it illegal to assemble a complete firearm from a lower receiver but I kinda doubt it.
    I have several friends there who routinely assemble complete AR's on lowers.
    :twocents:
    Mike

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Three word answer as to those signs:

Cite the law.

If they can't do that, I'd cheerfully tell them what to do with a load of sand.

Sadly, there's a local version of "Don's Guns" just about everywhere.

Blessings,
    Bill

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The OP on the other forum said that there is no such local or state ordinance prohibiting such things. He said that the shop is (was) a good shop and is just horribly misguided as to the law. :n00b:

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Actually if you dig deeper in that thread and another where the shop explains itself since they are a supporter of that site (that I don't really go to that site much, saw the link on a blog), the supposed reason for the sign is that the BATFE is strong arming a lot of the shops in the Texas border area to put up those signs and again it is in how BATFE has a tendency to interpret law differently as it needs.

I haven't followed the threads much further to get how they read the law to do that and if any other shops have actually put up the signs. The BATFE in the past has used similar reading to limit FAL receivers importation as replacement only parts.

Top Bottom