• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    First of all my wife does not have a problem with me carrying normally,but she wanted to go to a restaurant that was owned one of her elementary school students parents & did not want me to carry in case the student or parents seen it & would say something about it to school officials or the student would talk to other students about how mrs. drgnrobo's husband carries a gun. I know this is rather far fetched scenario but she thought her job would be in jeopardy if something along this would happen . I live in a fairly bad area & the restaurant location is in the same area .I went on my its my right to carry anywhere in the state of indiana thats not posted rant until i did eventually give in and go unarmed to ease her mind but let her know that not to complain if we where held up . I guess she had a legitamate reason for me not to carry but I felt a bit like I sold out.What would be a a good argument for next time or input what you would have done in my situation :dunno:

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    First of all my wife does not have a problem with me carrying normally,but she wanted to go to a restaurant that was owned one of her elementary school students parents & did not want me to carry in case the student or parents seen it & would say something about it to school officials or the student would talk to other students about how mrs. drgnrobo's husband carries a gun. I know this is rather far fetched scenario but she thought her job would be in jeopardy if something along this would happen . I live in a fairly bad area & the restaurant location is in the same area .I went on my its my right to carry anywhere in the state of indiana thats not posted rant until i did eventually give in and go unarmed to ease her mind but let her know that not to complain if we where held up . I guess she had a legitamate reason for me not to carry but I felt a bit like I sold out.What would be a a good argument for next time or input what you would have done in my situation :dunno:

Hide it well, tell her if she can see it, you'll made adjustments until its undetectable.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If someone can see it then it is not concealed. Now I am a proponent of both Open Carry and Concealed Carry but in this case it is clear that CONCEALED is the key word. Use an IWB like a CrossBreed Super Tuck as it will easily hide a full size weapon.

Another option is an alternative pistol, something like the little Kel-Tec or Ruger 380s that are on the market. I carry one of those little 380 mouseguns for times when I can't carry a real gun.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i have never liked IWB, but i bought a tuckable holster from High Noon and my Bersa Thunder disappears. i just ordered another one for my Taurus 709. while i prefer carrying a 1911, there are times when having something smaller is really really handy.

ymmv.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I always carry concealed ,If I look at my profile in the mirror ,I cant tell if I was carrying any of my pistols & Im selective on my clothing & make sure that it is baggy enough so I dont print,otherwise i throw on a jacket ,coat or hoody.I open carry around my property but when im out & about i try to blend in & not attract to much attention to myself.Kudos to those of you that do open carry,you have my respect but for me I prefer to cc.i think that my wife thinks she can see it because she knows right where to look or she has rubbed it a few times while we walking around(my pistol folks)

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    As a school administrator, I would not think twice about a teacher's husband carrying, unless it was at a school event. Then only because that's the law, and if I can't carry then he can't either. However, I am a member on this site, and I carry everywhere except to school. That might skew my opinion somewhat, but I know other school administrators that enjoy their firearms addictions as well.

I use the Crossbreed Supertuck, and if you didn't know I carried I doubt the casual observer would notice. Some super spotter might be able to find some tells, but otherwise, no one has ever freaked out.
    But----If your spouse is uncomfortable, she probably knows her parents and administration better than anyone. I would have respected her feelings too. (She should come first.) You did the right thing and all turned out well.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    "Ok honey, I'll forfeit my second amendment right if you second your 4th. I get to unreasonably search and seize later!"

:D

But seriously. You guys should get your priorities straight before it becomes a big deal. Are your priorities protection, making yourself happy, making each other happy, making others happy, going with the flow, you know - just something you guys should talk about a little so that this little thing doesn't turn into a big argument later.

sargknows

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    laporte county
    Have been carrying since I was 21 and out of the army, been married for 9 years and took awhile for the wife to get used to it but after a couple of scary situations she decided she also wanted to carry when she was alone. I carry any time I am not at work or at a school function( have four kids so I am at school fuctions alot) and I would rather be prepared when something happens than ask my self the rest of my life WHY I was not prepared and DID NOT protect my family!

Sthunter987

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    My next arguement with her would be this. "What is the unemployment rate for the dead". Not trying to be mean here, but if it's a bad neighborhood, safety must come first. You need to come home first, before going to work the next day. I would also make what ever adjusts were needed to satisfy both parties.

don't feel bad I have this arguement with my wife more than twice a month. I have learned to get ready long before her, so that she never see the gun on me. Thus CC is very good.

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    My next arguement with her would be this. "What is the unemployment rate for the dead". Not trying to be mean here, but if it's a bad neighborhood, safety must come first. You need to come home first, before going to work the next day. I would also make what ever adjusts were needed to satisfy both parties.

don't feel bad I have this arguement with my wife more than twice a month. I have learned to get ready long before her, so that she never see the gun on me. Thus CC is very good.

I like the way you think. Although I just got my first gun and still waiting on my permit. MY wife asked me today if I wanted a nice holster for christmas so I can carry it all time. I was like hell yeah. lol So I guess I dont have to worry about this. Hopefully you know how women are! lol

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I've carried a chubby para warthog in an OWB holster concealed under an untucked shirt and than an unzipped overshirt. No one noticed. When I get working again I plan on getting a pocket pistol when I have to CC and I have to be certain it won't be noticed.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    Whenever my wife raised a fuss about me carrying, I always told her, "Hey, if nobody pulls one out and points it at me, I promise I won't point mine at them."

As someone said before: concealed means concealed.

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    While I respect the opinions of all others who have posted, and I usually don't tell my wife if am carrying or not, I can certainly understand the OP's wife's concerns. School employees seem to be judged by a different standard. (Recall any DUI scandal's in the news in the past year or so involving school officials/teachers.(Sure they were wrong, but harry down the street in a small town isn't crucified on the news.) School scandals all make the 6 o'clock news. Just imagine the twisted story they could come up with about a teacher's gun nut husband who threatened a local business owner who's kid had been a trouble maker in her class?---Sure, that is probably not the case here, but it would make a great lead a 5 o'clock.) Maybe his wife is overly concerned about printing, or an accidental dropping of the gun, but as a couple this is a problem for them to resolve themselves from their unique experiences and perspectives. I was just trying to have people think from another perspective. School employees are judged 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week. Sometimes caution is the best course to take.

My wife and I have a don't ask, don't tell policy when it comes to my CC or not.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    My wife is a school teacher. She supports my right to carry and assumes that I am carrying unless we are going to one of those darned 'gun free' zones (i.e. her school).

You never know when you are going to need it. I posted my story about how I came to understand this first hand. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...hy_i_carry_one_gun_in_my_face_was_enough.html

Of course, you need to work it out with your wife and you should both be comfortable with whatever decision you are able to reach... Good luck.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    My wife does support my right to carry ,she has bought me a few pistols through the years but there was a situation that was still fresh in her mind at the school she worked for that lets say caused a complete search of the classroom ,so the more I have thought about it ,she did not want in any way be associated with that incident.I appreciate the comments & one liners which are going to be stored in the memory banks for next time( if there is a next time ).To be truthful this is actually the first time she asked me not to carry & it absolutely floored me & took me off guard ,She seen me putting my pistol on is when she asked .I did by the way offer to stay home during the melee which didnt go over as well as I had hoped :starwars:

Top Bottom