As someone relatively new to handguns...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwmroll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What should I be working on at the range? I can handle myself around an M4 thanks to the Army but generally have never practiced much with a handgun. I have about 300 rounds through my M&P 9 and can easily hit center mass at 25 yards and 2" group at 15 yards. I'd love to take a class but I am a poor student. I would love to eventually shoot IDPA or USPSA. Actually I just love going to the range and seeing improvement in whatever I am focusing on. So what should my next range trip focus on. More 'basics', speed, distance? Any advise appreciated. Thanks INGO.

TheAutomator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    If you're just starting out, you shouldn't try doing anything fast. You should be mastering the fundamentals, sight picture and trigger press.

In my opinion, the most important thing for you to master in the beginning is good gun handling.

I'm a little biased, but look into taking the Intro to Force on Force from Mindset Lab. It's not exactly marksmanship training, but what it will help do is illuminate what you need to focus on in your ongoing training, both personal and professional.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    It depends on your purpose for your handgun. What's its intended use? Do you now or plan to carry it on you in the future? Does it sit in your night stand at home? Do you only shoot for fun/competiveness and have no desire to use it for defense?

Typically, mastering the basics if the first goal because nearly any use of a firearm will require marksmanship skills. What you need to do after that is what is determined by your answers to the above questions.

If shooting competitions is your focus then I would recommend contacting the guys at ACT after you've mastered the basics. They are a site advertiser here and you can easily find them. They put out a LOT of information for incredibly good prices from everything I've seen/heard and they offer a focus on competition shooting if that's what you seek.

If your primary focus is personal defense, then it changes recommendations entirely. Again, it depends on what YOU want to do with your pistol.

Top Bottom