• ...and so much more!
  • seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Here is a classic offer I just recieved

"Would u be interested in a fully tacked out norinco Sks pro camo paint job and trigger job 40 rd clips Shoots 3 rd burst or FA lemme know can text or email pics"

"

How much time do you think the BATF spends investigating it's own sting operations that people report to them?

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I have no problem with doing a deal via armslist. It seems the good ones are in Indy which is too far from me. A couple weeks ago there was a guy trying to sell a beautiful marine 870 near my area. We talked until he told me he needed to my my ID (which im fine with) and wanted to write down my name with license number and address.

I dont think a thief can do much with my name and license number cause he would still need my social number to obtain credit in my name but him having my address could maybe lead him having a buddy to steal the stuff back.

I dont have an LTCH (yet) and I respect the sellers decision to want to see one but asking to record ones residence I kinda dont agree with

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Ughhhh, Hoosier Topics and Armslist....

I remember, lol, back in the day: Hoosier Topics was THE place to list your stuff, sold same day. Usually had to meet up further west as HT tended to cater to western Indiana folks, but no biggie. Now? Sigh... Hillbillies using it as their sounding board for their political, gun or personal beliefs, especially on how expensive something was. I could go on for days on the stories, stupidity and idiocy that I had to deal with on HT.

The thing Dujour on HT is that if someone doesn't like your response to "will you take 100 bucks for your Glock, I'm in a jam" which is usually, "sorry, no, I would like 4x that, I ignore lowball offers", they will post a false ad under your email address or phone number. The inflammatory and pathos laden nature of the hillbilly is amazingly violent.

Armslist is nicer, but generally becoming filled with hilljacks and scammers. Lots of people on there wanting to do things, specifically "no papers". I understand Indiana is a no registration state and I generally don't ask for ID unless they look REALLY weird (like the guy who wants to buy sits in the back of a car with two other urban youths). But I skip the ones that ask for no ID or papers in initial correspondence.

Lots of little gems though:
    Selling an XD40SC, no box but 6 mags for $400 or trade for .38/.357. Guy offers me a 2" Smith model 10, no box, fairly beat up. I counter with "your gun plus $100". He responds with a text asking me to not be so "greaty" (greedy, sic). When I say I could not do even, he calls me a (explitive deleted, albeit still spelled incorrectly) and had to block his number.

Sold a Ruger 10/22, sort of beat up but a good gun, for $180 on HT. Flooded my email box with offers. I sold it and two weeks later, getting an email from a guy, FERVENT, to get the 10/22. When I send him an email explaining it sold, he then flies into a fury, wants to "beat yo azz" and then back into "Cmon man, I'm sorry, I just need a gunz", then back into a fury. Mind you, his schizophrenic back and forth went 5 times back from rage to apologetic, I did not even respond, he flipped out back and forth on his own. He stated his name, phone number and where he lived several times in emails, which I calmly relegated to the Terre Haute Police Department.

Another fella, when I was selling some 9mm ammo (500 rounds of Wolf for 90 bucks), treated the thing like an auction. Kept asking me if I would take 60 for it. No, sorry. Okay, if you are getting 90 for it, I'll give you 100 if you will give it to me. What? The next three emails from him detailed his disdain for my ethnicity (not even close), my creed (what?) and my sexual orientation (wait a minute). Bear in mind, he didn't have information one on me, other than I would not sell him the ammo after I sold it to someone else.

My fav though: Selling an AK, two mags, $450. Okay, not a super deal, but pretty decent. Guy emails me, DEMANDS (literally) that I call him. No way, not with that attitude. Emails me again, "Yo man, when I email you, I get a response. You don't treat Da' King tha way..." LOL Okay, so I send him an email saying that the gun is sold, thank you for your interest. Emails be back, "who dud you sell it to? Dey gonna get a visit!" Relegated name, phone number and email correspondence to local police department for his area code.

Tons of stories, especially when you sell a bit here and there...

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Makes sense to me as well, an email or text is fine as long as both parties agree. I don't care to talk to some guy about all his life experiences on the phone when I just want to buy or trade. I have made several Armslist deals with no problems.

I too don't like calling people. The less personal information that have of mine the better. I get enough prank calls and spam texts as is.

micheljns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    There are some decent deals on there but like otheres have stated you have to weed through all the other bs and expect on people lowballing the heck out of you if your selling and expecting msrp for their used guns

Top Bottom