Armed robbery @ CVS in Bloomington - what would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    When it flies, most everybody gets a whiff. Witness before action, until it has become apparent to be going South. Good luck. My training will not allow me to herded, kneeled down, or family. Hope you gave all the goodbyes, and a hug.

We have a code word, that upon said, Wifey grabs kids, and immediately goes the opposite direction. Simply: It's on, book away.

Code word is a good idea.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Sounds like the OP has things thought out, and thought out in a pretty good manor. Unless there is a threat to life, Id let them have it. that is why they have insurance, right? If I were at the register, my desiccation to draw would be a combination of if I felt that they intended to shoot, and if I were presented a window of opportunity that wouldnt endanger others.

If I were in the isles, and not in direct view of the crime in progress the best thing I can think of would be find cover, draw, and be prepared. Do my best to be a good witness when the police show up.

The scenario where I would be walking into the store into a robbery has happened to a friend and coworker, and its a reason I am VERY cautious when entering a building. He pulled into the parking lot as gunmen were coming into the store, guns drawn. Somehow they didnt notice him, and he stayed in his vehicle until the event was over. He did call the police, and did get a good description of the vehicle, but there wasnt much else that he could have done.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That off duty police officer did... What's your excuse?

Cuz its his job, not mine?

I have to agree with others. Fly on the wall and be a good witness seems like a good idea as long as all they want to do is take stuff and leave. My life isnt worth CVS' stuff, ESPECIALLY since if you asked them they would tell us our guns were not welcome in their stores.

Only one problem though. How would you/we feel if we took that witness stance and they got twitchy and shot the clerk because he decided to fight back? What kind of survivors guilt would we be dealing with knowing we had the tool in our hand to prevent his/her death and didnt use it? Then again we could have made it worse... :dunno: Just thinking out loud... (I honestly dont know the answer either)

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    "The man in the orange hoodie revealed a handgun to the store clerk while the man in the letter jacket walked behind the counter and stole cash and cigarettes."

You got to be kidding me, committ a felony for cigarettes?

got have more smokes, :rockwoot:

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Only one problem though. How would you/we feel if we took that witness stance and they got twitchy and shot the clerk because he decided to fight back? What kind of survivors guilt would we be dealing with knowing we had the tool in our hand to prevent his/her death and didnt use it? Then again we could have made it worse... :dunno: Just thinking out loud... (I honestly dont know the answer either)

I don't believe I'd feel guilt over such a situation. Or at least I'd feel less guilt than I would if I initiated something and THEN an innocent was killed. You can't see down the path not taken, so I'd not beat myself up over it. Anyway, I don't see myself as the protector of the masses.

cmax

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2014
    Bloomington
    Armed robbery reported at CVS | Region | Indiana Daily Student

What would you do in the following variations on this scenario (assuming you're carrying)? Assume you're alone and the situation is as described in the article. Two guys. One handgun. No other CC/OCers that you can see.

1) You're paying when they walk in, coming right toward you at the register with a gun out.

For me, this is the most likely for a draw and fire scenario. However, they've got the drop on you by already having their gun out. Tough to say and is situation dependent.

2) You're in a nearby aisle browsing and hear the racket and have cover with a view toward the register. They don't see you or at least don't see you as a threat enough to care.

In this scenario I think I would take cover and draw/sight-in and watch it unfold. As long as the clerk is not attacked and they just want money, I'd probably let it happen and call the cops. I don't want to risk my life or the clerk's if all they want is money and are gone.

3) You enter the store as they are robbing the clerk, not having seen them enter.

In this scenario, it seems like blocking them in with a drawn weapon or beginning a gunfight is too dangerous for you, especially since they're more likely to engage in a gunfight to get out around you before getting arrested or killed. I'd just stay outside at the ready around the corner or in my car in case something goes down and call the cops.

4) You pull up and park, and see them entering with a gun visible while you're still in your car.

I'd call the cops and stay in my car and be there as a witness when the cops arrive.

I welcome your thoughts.

Starting clean slate

Last edited:

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    As a gun owner my first thought would not be to go to a gun forum and get turned on to fantasy about being a hero...
    Actually I am a little upset and disgusted with myself that when I searched for more information of the robbery that this was a top hit. I am a student at IU and live two blocks away from that CVS. I was actually in the self-checkout two hours before this happened. You are doing no good for fellow gun owners and 2nd Amendment supports with this type of bs. I would never want to hunt or associate with someone who posts boyhood fantasy like this online. It is scary to know that someone like this owns a gun. You are making all of us look bad.

So you go to IU and at 2:00 am on a Sunday morning you sign up for an INGO account and leave this as your first comment..... WOW

WELCOME TO INGO.

Last edited:

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    As a gun owner my first thought would not be to go to a gun forum and get turned on to fantasy about being a hero...
    Actually I am a little upset and disgusted with myself that when I searched for more information of the robbery that this was a top hit. I am a student at IU and live two blocks away from that CVS. I was actually in the self-checkout two hours before this happened. You are doing no good for fellow gun owners and 2nd Amendment supports with this type of bs. I would never want to hunt or associate with someone who posts boyhood fantasy like this online. It is scary to know that someone like this owns a gun. You are making all of us look bad.

I doubt this poster will be back.. but this is not a "boyhood fantasy". As responsible gun owners, we MUST take these things into consideration. Not every situation is a draw and fire event, contrary to what media and hollywood lead you to believe.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    There are always two rather distinctive camps that always clearly delineate themselves during these discussions and each has some merit.

Which serves society and in turn, future generations?

Our country and society in general are in a clear decline and have been for decades.

One camp is proactive, carry extra mags and a BUG and are compelled to move forward, if warranted.

The other camp are not mentally poised to appreciate or slow the degradation of society and are better equipped with extra cellphone batteries.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Could be... Just hasn't gotten to the point of being prepared to use a gun.

More like it. He /she probably believes carrying only requires getting your Larry and buying a gun. No training required.

I think he mistakes scenario discussions for fantasy. So I guess athletes are idiots for mentally running plays in their minds prior to a game?

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I agree. I'm not going to risk my life and future for a pack of cigarettes. Don't interfere unless there is a serious threat of someone getting hurt in the robbery. They may get years in jail for a pack of smokes tells me that they don't understand risk management.
    I'll tell you this much. I'm not playing Wyatt Earp in order to save the daily receipts at CVS. Unless I'm threatened or they start harming innocents I'm just a fly on the wall.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Humorous, I actually have a conceal carry permit for Illinois and being from Chicago I know too well the bs associated with gun laws. The point of my post was that the first 3 hits on google should not be a "what if" scenario. That looks really bad for people who do not understand guns. This is the reason why I refuse to hunt or shoot in the midwest. People are more worried about the "what if" then walking away. Trust me I used to get turned on to this **** too, when I was like 13...

You have a valid point. However, your approach and mannerism is so poor that it makes one question your legitimacy. :dunno:

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    This does work, but I will probably catch some grief from someone. "Depending" on the situation: The wife and I have a keyword to get her behind me or to depart my area if feasible. Second: It's amazing how disability in a person can confuse and distract.

If the keyword isn't possible she will immediately focus if I drop a shoulder, drag a foot and start a Rain Man gibberish thing talking to myself.

Haven't had to try it in a real situation but have done it in a mix of people in different places and it seems to change the dynamic of the setting. Delay, distraction and confusion and my looking like I am not a threat are my goals.

Again ..... this is totally dependent on the situation. The pull away is equally viable.

Top Bottom