• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I finally got my Armalite to the range for the first time today. Referenced in this thread https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/111024-and_there_goes_my_ar_cherry.html

Not only was this the first time shooting this, or any AR, it was also my first time shooting 100 yds with just iron sights. It is not as easy as it sounds.

I fed 3 types of ammo out of 5 different mags (4 p-mags and 1 stock). This AR fed flawless. No failures no malfunctions

As for me I got the first mag on paper, but apparently after that my front sight started coming loose and i didnt notice so it was all over the place after that.

So a few things learned today. Sights need lock tite, and I need a spotting scope. Binoculars just arent good enough to see .223 holes at 100 yds

Oh and I love this rifle!!!!

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    That's a great looking AR! Keep working with those iron sights. I hate to use this word, but I'd love to hear what sort of "groups" you where getting. I want an iron sighted AR because i think the irons help build fundamental shooting skills better than a scope or red dot(just my opinion). Keep us updated as you progress!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Good for you for using a rifle with iron sights. If you can make the shot with irons, you definately can make the shot with an optic.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    That's a great looking AR! Keep working with those iron sights. I hate to use this word, but I'd love to hear what sort of "groups" you where getting. I want an iron sighted AR because i think the irons help build fundamental shooting skills better than a scope or red dot(just my opinion). Keep us updated as you progress!
    I never really had a group, I was on the paper but thats the most i can say for it :D. Ill get it out again soon though

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I wish I could still be accurate with iron sights. My 48 year old eyes can see the target clearly with glasses, but the sights are fuzzy. If I take off my glasses I can see the sights clearly, but not the target.

I used to be a hell of a shooter with iron sights. It's optics for me, now.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I wish I could still be accurate with iron sights. My 48 year old eyes can see the target clearly with glasses, but the sights are fuzzy. If I take off my glasses I can see the sights clearly, but not the target.

I used to be a hell of a shooter with iron sights. It's optics for me, now.

Just a dumb suggestion, I dont mean to thread jack. Why dont you get a set of shooting glasses with your prescription lens for the left eye and a nonprescription for the right eye? Would solve your problem and let you shoot with irons.

Top Bottom