• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    New show on Nat.Geo. Might be fun to watch and take notes. Might be nothing new, also. Seemed all AR-ish, food storage and gas-masks. Hope it isn't another "Red Jacket."

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    New show on Nat.Geo. Might be fun to watch and take notes. Might be nothing new, also. Seemed all AR-ish, food storage and gas-masks. Hope it isn't another "Red Jacket."

Are you talking about this: Doomsday Preppers - National Geographic Channel

Comcast on Demand has a 45 minute "Series Preview".

Me & OkieGirl sat through the entire show, looked at each other, and came to the conclusion we are not trying hard enough!

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Ok, I gotta weigh in on this one...

The guy in Phoenix who has a GREAT plan with the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT piece missing...Dude, your in the middle of a neighborhood with all the food and none of your neighbors are with you in the planning stages...ummm... You and your beautiful family look like a great target. Wonderful planning.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

The guy in Phoenix who has a GREAT plan with the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT piece missing...Dude, your in the middle of a neighborhood with all the food and none of your neighbors are with you in the planning stages...ummm... You and your beautiful family look like a great target. Wonderful planning.

Address??????????????

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    A Hollywood rag chimes in:

Saying "the event" in the show is unlikely to ever happen, but it is still a fascinating look into a survivalist subculture. Hey, that's who I am!! The critiquer thinks that the show treads on "thin ethical ice" when it encourages cast members to make survival plans at the expense of the unbelievers, while knowing full well that their apocalyptic fantasies have little chance of actually coming to pass. Hey, I GOT mine! I may share, but you'll have to get past my "toys" first. "Little chance." Is that the same as "no chance at all of happening"?

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    This is what i consider a "survivalist"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vypFCncFr70&list=LLAb9LWK6aA3zF_HNzI-JWBg&index=3&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

NOT THIS GUY!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkMEKoQwx5Q[/ame]

OR THIS GUY! WHO THINKS HE NEEDS 20 GET-A-WAY PLANS
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eABG4jvgLTA[/ame]

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I didn't get to watch the entire show last night, but I saw parts of it.

I asked my GF what she thought about living in a house made from shipping containers, and of all the stupid **** she could have agreed with, she actually liked the idea. WTF?

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011

Not to mention that thousands of ppl saw the show. His neighbors now know he has tons of food.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I liked the part after each segment where the Nat Geo people had an 'expert' analyze each preppers plan. In one segment they said some gold and silver would help, but hard commodities like guns, ammo, food, water and gasoline would be more valuable.

They didn't come right out and say it, but if you have guns and ammo, you can get all of the other stuff you need.

Last edited:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Quote : "They didn't come right out and say it, but if you have guns and ammo, you can get all of the other stuff you need."

Dave - I would not put it that way. Yes, you may be able to take other's supplies, or you may catch a load of 00buck in the belly. Poor planning. When I encounter someone whose prep or plan is to have enough firepower to take away someone else's supplies, I just smile and mark them for a round in the forehead if that day comes.

Last edited:

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Quote : "They didn't come right out and say it, but if you have guns and ammo, you can get all of the other stuff you need."

Dave - I would not put it that way. Yes, you may be able to take other's supplies, or you may catch a load of 00buck in the belly.

I wasn't advocating theft of other peoples supplies, just paraphrasing what the so called 'expert' was saying One of the preppers was talking about cutting peoples throats while they slept to get what they wanted. I have my own supplies of food and ammo and wouldn't hesitate for a second to defend it, but I won't go out stealing from others.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I wasn't advocating theft of other peoples supplies, just paraphrasing what the so called 'expert' was saying One of the preppers was talking about cutting peoples throats while they slept to get what they wanted. I have my own supplies of food and ammo and wouldn't hesitate for a second to defend it, but I won't go out stealing from others.
    The guy who said that was one of the "we don't need guns and ammo" people.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Dave - I would not put it that way. Yes, you may be able to take other's supplies, or you may catch a load of 00buck in the belly. Poor planning. When I encounter someone whose prep or plan is to have enough firepower to take away someone else's supplies, I just smile and mark them for a round in the forehead if that day comes.

I've had people tell me that they're planning on stealing other people's stuff. I distance myself from those people as much as possible. Also, I do as you do, and take mental note of that person. If they come around, they'll be on really thin ice already, and they won't be getting help from me except maybe a bullet in the head if it comes to that.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I liked the old hippies up East. "We don't need guns, we'll just sit down with our enemies and have a feast and invite them to join our group".

Koombaya!

They'll be the first group overrun.

Over run them and you loose a valuable asset. Defend them and you've secured a portion of your future. Part of my plan involves finding groups such as these hippies to work with. The way I see it, I've got guns and ammo and some idea of how to defend a position. What I don't have is enough food to last me the rest of my natural life. :twocents:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Over run them and you loose a valuable asset. Defend them and you've secured a portion of your future. Part of my plan involves finding groups such as these hippies to work with. The way I see it, I've got guns and ammo and some idea of how to defend a position. What I don't have is enough food to last me the rest of my natural life. :twocents:

You missed my point. I would not overrun them. Someone else most assuredly will. They neither have the means nor want to protect themselves.

Good luck adding them to your flock. They don't even have the courage to protect themselves and welcome marauders with open arms.

Top Bottom