• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Indiana Code does not list churches as off limits for carry. My church has a grade school on the property and the school is actually attached to the church. So because of the school being on church property, I assume that my church is off limits for carry.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    One of eight states allowing carrying a gun in church? There is a law ANYWHERE prohibiting guns in church? I have to wonder about the legal rationalization or legal grounds for that.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So in Arkansas you are now allowed to carry in churches. 1 of 8 states allowing it. Heard on the radio for personal protection or if you were part of church security.

Guns In Churches: Arkansas Senate Approves Bill To Allow Concealed Firearms In Churches

Is Indiana one of these states?

Technically, no.
    Indiana does not ALLOW carrying firearms in church.
    It just doesn't prohibit carrying in church.
    As I understand it, unless your church has a licensed daycare or preschool, it is legal to carry there. Of course, if a person who is in an appropriate position of authority in the church asks you leave, you must comply.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    Of course, if a person who is in an appropriate position of authority in the church asks you leave, you must comply.

Well good thing I'm on Security Team and a Deacon in the church....... So, I'm not really gonna tell myself to leave. Hehe

I also already asked my Pastor if he felt comfortable with me carrying and he said he was fine with it and that he would take a bullet of me too.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Indiana Code does not list churches as off limits for carry. My church has a grade school on the property and the school is actually attached to the church. So because of the school being on church property, I assume that my church is off limits for carry.
    This is dicey. Is the church proper not a school or is it considered as part of the school campus? Which came first on the property, the church or school? We need a court ruling since the legislature hasn't made it 100% clear. I would like a church and a direct route from wherever you have to park your vehicle to be ruled "not a school." Any potential test cases out there? Anyone? Anyone?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This is dicey. Is the church proper not a school or is it considered as part of the school campus? Which came first on the property, the church or school? We need a court ruling since the legislature hasn't made it 100% clear. I would like a church and a direct route from wherever you have to park your vehicle to be ruled "not a school." Any potential test cases out there? Anyone? Anyone?
    No test cases, but this bill was introduced: Introduced Version, House Bill 1473
    Sadly, it looks like our current Speaker of the House, Rep. Brian Bosma, and the current Public Policy committee chairman, Rep. Bill Davis, are willing to let it die in committee.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000

My pastor interprets it as being on the school campus. Partly because the school uses the main church building throughout the week. That being the case he is putting together a training program with the help of a retired cop before several of us start carrying.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.
    So, all you need is the permission of the church and it doesn't matter if it's a school or not.

As an aside, I note that the law says "authorized by a person who operates preperty being used by a school, not the school. While I don't seriously think it would fly in court, the letter of the law suggests that if your church runs a school, then your pastor could technically authorize you to carry at any school in the state. :D

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    Technically, no.
    Indiana does not ALLOW carrying firearms in church.
    It just doesn't prohibit carrying in church.
    As I understand it, unless your church has a licensed daycare or preschool, it is legal to carry there. Of course, if a person who is in an appropriate position of authority in the church asks you leave, you must comply.

If one person at a church has that authority then its not a church worth going to. I wont go any further since I don't care to argue doctrine.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If one person at a church has that authority then its not a church worth going to. I wont go any further since I don't care to argue doctrine.

I don't see it as a matter of doctrine. I see it as a legal question.

I see it as who has legal authority to represent the church in a court or legal proceedings. That person will, I assume, be designated in whatever legal papers exist to bring a "church" into being as a legal entity.

Top Bottom