• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    OK, the wife and I have been having this discussion for quite awhile. We were both born and raised here then left for many years returning to Indiana a few years back. The youngest is getting ready to go off to college and the nest will be empty. I'm chewing at the bit to get out of Indiana for good. It's simply changed far too much for me to think of living here permanently. After living all over the country, the wife and I are in a deadlock over where to move. She wants to live in the Carolinas where there are 4 seasons, an ocean and its green. It's also closer to family and the climate is temprate. On the other hand I love the desert, the wide open spaces, 300+ days of sunshine a year and the opportunity to kick open the back door and shoot coyotes and javelina when the opportunity arises. It also rarely or never snows. I would love to make this my last winter. We've been to both places more than once so we are not total strangers.

So I want to know if anyone here has lived in either of these two areas. What's it like and what were the pros and cons? Please help us fill in the blanks. Thanks.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'll admit to being biased toward having lots of trees as well as seasons but I'd never consider living someplace where the resources necessary for survival weren't readily available. I'm sure there are places in Arizona with game and water but it seems like it would be much more scarce than in the Carolinas.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Having lived in South Carolina I would pick the Carolinas. I have been to Arizona before and although it was warm, I missed all the lakes, trees, green grass, woods, rivers... But then again I like to fish.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I'm trying to talk the wife into moving to albequerque, nm

Still has 4 seasons. Mild winters, summers are warm but cooler than Arizona or Texas since it's higher up.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We're pretty frequent visitors to North Carolina. I'd live there before I even gave a thought to Arizona. Been there and didn't care for it. I'm with your wife on this one. Close to the ocean, close to mountains and forests. And water isn't a precious resource. Plus it's in the South. That's always a big selling point for me.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Oh, if the wife is set on the Carolinas, I'd go there. If she hates Arizona she may never forgive you.

Good point, when I was marred to her, one of my ex wives talked me into moving out of state to a place that I really didn't dig, and I came back to Indiana 6 months later and she stayed. That was ten years ago.

Dave

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    I love Arizona and have been to Carolinas and like it there too but Arizona has both mountains and inverted mountains as in the Grand Canyon. Lots to hunt and fish. Did you know that Arizona has the most boats per capita than any other state? They also have a lot of trees depending on what part. There is something for everyone there. When we go we like to go to Apache Junction and horseback ride in the desert.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Man that's tough. AZ and NC are the only other states I would live in.Possibly TN... I have a relative in Tucson so been there a few times. Getting a decent amount of land it there may not be the easiest thing to do. My relative lives in town and we had to drive about 45 min to find a place to shoot where you won't get in trouble. Tucson driving sucks. Phoenix is even hotter & huge. Never been to Flagstaff..
    That aside there are always things to do outdoors. Good gun laws. September was the hottest time I was there. Even though the sun is intense, I'm with you on the last winter thing though.
    NC I've been around Raleigh,Greensboro area several times and have been to Havelock. <Another relative married a Marine. I don't think winters are normally too harsh, but the hurricanes are no joke sometimes.
    As well as what others mentioned above. Oh, being able to drive down the road and but fresh seafood is pretty sweet... I can't see being unhappy in Carolina if you aren't dead set on AZ.:twocents: Not much of a SC fan.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've lived outside of Tuscon, Winston-Salem, outside of Myrtle Beach. Go S.Carolina for sure. Farther south is better for weather. Stay away from Charleston area and stay off the coast but close enough to enjoy the ocean. NNW of Charleston is a nice area with moderate weather changes. Good hunting, fishing, golf, motorcycle riding area, and mostly good people. Keep close to civilization but far enough away to live with some peace and quiet.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I like to visit Arizona, but I'd live in North Carolina... Had family live in Franklin, NC for a couple years. Was stunning visiting that area. I would love to live in the mountains, my stomach didn't like the roads, but I could get use to it.

Jon

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I personally, would choose N. C. get far enough INLAND, that the Hurricanes, don't bother you ... I have a friend, he live 60 miles inland, and the storms, wreak havoc with him .....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Memsahib and I faced the same sort of question years ago, AZ or FLA. We ended up buying some ground here and live in the woods. I worked in AZ and mexico for a while, never did take to the desert.:)

Top Bottom