• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well, I guess in a way this has something to do with Disaster and Survival Preparedness...although I'm not sure it's quite what the site owners intended lol. For the record, I think that they got worse than what they really deserved, partially thanks to the media. What really bugged me about the whole thing was that Natalie Maines made the offending comment on stage in London. I have my own personal doubts that she would have ever made the same statement if they had been performing in Texas. Then when the firestorm erupted, she tried to downplay the comment, and eventually apologized. Neither of which did anything to help their position. Still, while you are entitled to speak your mind on stage how you see fit, you can't just throw something like that out there into the ether and not expect anything to come of it. They are a very talented group of women, and I think that if not for that one comment they could have become the next Garth Brooks. Be that as it may, I am definitely not mad at them anymore, and I have heard some of their old hits on various country stations in the Indy area. In fact, I heard "Goodbye Earl" within the last month.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What was the big deal? Criticizing the president?

What did she say on stage in london that was controversial?

Why are entertainers' opinions even worth a crap, anyways? Aren't they nothing more than modern day court jesters anyway?

Country music after 1966 sucks. It's a historical fact.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I think they got what was comming to them. John Lennon screwed himself when he stated that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus Christ. Pride always comes before the fall.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I hear them every now and then on the radio. I still change the channel because of what she said.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    i don't listen to the dixie chicks, i wouldn't endorsed those anti-american chicks

I think they got what was comming to them.

I hear them every now and then on the radio. I still change the channel because of what she said.

So I take it you guys don't have anything negative to say about President Obama.

John Lennon screwed himself when he stated that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus Christ. Pride always comes before the fall.

Yeah, Lennon died in poverty, living on the street.. oh wait... His point was that they were greeted by large crowds on a Sunday morning. Large crowds of people who weren't in church. Not a statement of his importance, but of their faith, or lack thereof. Apparently quite a few people didn't get it.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Never liked their music in the first place, so its a win win for me. But as I remember it when it happened they came off more like Dixie *****es than Dixie Chicks. I dislike it very much when an artist uses their position and access to the media to push their own personal political agenda. Keep your opinions to yourself and do your job. If your job allows you to add some political opinion to what you are doing such as a song fine, I don't have to listen to it. But keep your big mouth shut and off the soap box just because you have access to the public media.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Personally I have no problem with members of the media espousing their political rants. They have a right to free speech as much as you and I do. Of course, we also reserve the right to not listen or purchase their product. And in the case of the Dixie Chicks, that's exactly what happened. America & Capitalism, FTW! :rockwoot:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I didn't even know what they said and didn't pay much attention to the aftermath. So, for any like me who are somewhat lost by the question proposed in this thread, here is some info:

"During a London concert ten days before the 2003 invasion of Iraq, lead vocalist Maines said, "we don't want this war, this violence, and we're ashamed that the President of the United States [George W. Bush] is from Texas" (the Dixie Chicks' home state)." Dixie Chicks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not upset with her, but I don't agree with anyone disrespecting the Office of the President, regardless of party affiliation. To make a statement like that on foreign soil is disturbing in several ways. I've heard much worse lately and I disagree with that, as well.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    :xmad:no more than hanoi jane or sean penn

semper fi :patriot: :ingo:

:ar15:

:rolleyes:

I don't like the Dixie Chicks... It's not about their vocal disapproval of the Iraq war or US foreign policy, but instead because of their vocals (Pop-ish country music is pop music is bad music). How does their London onstage rant compare to the actions of Jane Fonda?

They said they didn't like the war/violence and that they were ashamed that George W was from their home state of Texas.

Jane Fonda smiled for photo ops of her standing next to enemy anti-aircraft guns. She named her son after a viet cong assassin who tried to kill Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara.

Maybe if the Dixie Chicks made those comments while performing in front of a Scud TEL to help rally the Republican Guard with unwilling American POWs singing backup vocals while those who refused to sing were beaten backstage, then I would agree that the Dixie Chicks are on par with Jane Fonda.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I don't like the Dixie Chicks... It's not about their vocal disapproval of the Iraq war or US foreign policy, but instead because of their vocals (Pop-ish country music is pop music is bad music). How does their London onstage rant compare to the actions of Jane Fonda?

They said they didn't like the war/violence and that they were ashamed that George W was from their home state of Texas.

Jane Fonda smiled for photo ops of her standing next to enemy anti-aircraft guns. She named her son after a viet cong assassin who tried to kill Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara.

Maybe if the Dixie Chicks made those comments while performing in front of a Scud TEL to help rally the Republican Guard with unwilling American POWs singing backup vocals while those who refused to sing were beaten backstage, then I would agree that the Dixie Chicks are on par with Jane Fonda.

:+1:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm not upset with her, but I don't agree with anyone disrespecting the Office of the President, regardless of party affiliation. To make a statement like that on foreign soil is disturbing in several ways. I've heard much worse lately and I disagree with that, as well.

People should be able to say and express their opinions freely regardless of who or where they are, but I certainly agree that just because you can doesn't mean you should. I too wish more people would realize that it is possible to respect people and offices that one disagrees with.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Not ready to make nice, huh?

JokeOverYourHead.jpg

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

As much as I dislike the Dixie Chicks they are no where near as bad as Jane Fonda. Hanoi Jane is forever a traitor. Old hatred dies hard. In my VFW we have targets with her face in the center of each urinal so we can **** in her face and remember.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Its hard to be mad at them. It would be like being upset with a goat for eating your petunias or a rock for tripping you. Dumb animals are dumb animals, rocks are rocks, what else can you say?

Top Bottom