• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I know and have known many. Most of which have a better grasp of the way the world works and have been more sucessful because of it.

Not saying you aren't correct, but you're going to have to talk me through how being kept from experiencing society lets you know and understand it better...

I didnt mean to say the kids were kept from society. It's just that most home schooled kids that I have known get a better education because they don't have to deal with all the cliquey, he said/she said, petty BS. They also aren't filled with all the Liberal touchy fealy, "let's gloss over the true history and force feed them what we want them to believe" curriculums.

It starts with who is teaching the kids. The parents who are really good at it will make sure the kids are socialized as well as taught.

I truely wish I had the talent, time, and money to be able to pull my daughter out of the social engineering program that is the public school system. Unfortunately, I don't, so I have to try my best to teach her that there is much more to what she learns from school and instill the passion to look deeper.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I didnt mean to say the kids were kept from society. It's just that most home schooled kids that I have known get a better education because they don't have to deal with all the cliquey, he said/she said, petty BS. They also aren't filled with all the Liberal touchy fealy, "let's gloss over the true history and force feed them what we want them to believe" curriculums.

It starts with who is teaching the kids. The parents who are really good at it will make sure the kids are socialized as well as taught.

I truely wish I had the talent, time, and money to be able to pull my daughter out of the social engineering program that is the public school system. Unfortunately, I don't, so I have to try my best to teach her that there is much more to what she learns from school and instill the passion to look deeper.

and that is the way almost everyone else does it! Only 4% home school.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Home schooling can be a two-edged sword. It all depends on how the parent(s) involved stack up against the public schools or private schools (if that is an available option). Generally, it will work out better by virtue of the fact that the most motivated and demanding (relative to the quality of education) of parents are those most likely to do so. The problem sets in when parents who are intellectually and/or morally less capable than the public schools (I know, that is a pretty low bar) decide to give it a try as appears to be the case here. Home schooling is definitely not for those parents who were apparently born with their brains in their posteriors and, well, ejected them.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I find it ironic that there is more opposition and suspicion for homeschooling here on INGO than I've encountered in my dealings with the stupid sheeple.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    and that is the way almost everyone else does it! Only 4% home school.

Judging by the views of kids and young adults in today's society, I would venture to say it is decidedly not how everyone else does it. I would say the predominate approach is send'em to school and let the school deal with'em. And has been for quite some time.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I find it ironic that there is more opposition and suspicion for homeschooling here on INGO than I've encountered in my dealings with the stupid sheeple.

Sheeple are defined in any subject by their opinion on that subject. They can be sheeple there but not here, and vice versa :)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I didn't read it that way. It seemed to me that the consensus is that this mother is a blockhead who is not equal to the task, not a problem with the task itself. I would have to concur that someone who is apparently that obtuse is a poor candidate for home schooling children!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    OK, I'm jaded.
    I think the "mother" knew exactly what was on the guy's mind, and I think she saw it as a meal ticket. "Gee, if my MINOR daughter is molested...I can get a TON of money from this guy for either:
    A) blackmailing him in exchange for not pressing charges...or...
    B) pressing charges and taking his entire bu$ine$$...or the off chance of...
    C) photos being given to an agent and actual real contract being struck for big bucks"

Either way... big money in the "mother's" opinion.

Meh...it all just reinforces my initial thoughts that apply to oh so many things;
    People suck.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    The best we can say for mom is she is very naive at best. Don't know why the guy isn't in jail for rape. Years ago I was at a range with my attractive daughter, just out of college. A guy came up and gave us a card (photographer) and said he would like to do I shoot on her. We both thought no way, thanked him and tossed the card. Wonder how others may have responded. The thought of big bucks can sometimes block common sense.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i think what she is implying is that the daughter has little outside influence on what may be a more correct way of ascertaining a possible threat to her well being? let alone all she has is "mom" to tell her what is right and wrong.

home-schooled kids generally dont do too well in a public environment unless they are regularly subjected to it. mind you all, this is my opinion. :rolleyes:. public schools were a "skin toughening course" so to say. at least for me. :dunno:

Well said.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Instead, the girl was given alcohol ("Vodka. 10 shots.") and, according to medical reports, methamphetamine and opiates and was sexually assaulted.
    This didn't send up red flags for the daughter? Don't get me wrong this photographer is quite nearly the bottom of my social hierarchy and 100% to blame, but this girl wasn't suspicious after shot number 2? I would never have taken 10 shots in my 20's at a party. While the primary culprit will get what he deserves, there's plenty of blame to spread around. Hopefully the daughter can turn this traumatic experience into a life lesson and be better for it.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I knew a local family that homeschooled and have a nephew whose wife home schools. There really needs to be a test to see if you're smart enough to home school.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This didn't send up red flags for the daughter? Don't get me wrong this photographer is quite nearly the bottom of my social hierarchy and 100% to blame, but this girl wasn't suspicious after shot number 2? I would never have taken 10 shots in my 20's at a party. While the primary culprit will get what he deserves, there's plenty of blame to spread around. Hopefully the daughter can turn this traumatic experience into a life lesson and be better for it.

You have to account for the strong possibility that this girl has led a very sheltered life. She may not have recognized this as a danger, leading us back to WTF was mom thinking?

I knew a local family that homeschooled and have a nephew whose wife home schools. There really needs to be a test to see if you're smart enough to home school.

I can understand general idea but the problem is that the standards would be set by the .gov which is exactly what most homeschooling parents are trying to get away from and introduces the problems that the standards would likely be more political than technical in reality and that the .gov bureaucrats could effectively end homeschooling by setting impossibly high standards even though their schools routinely get thoroughly embarrassed by the homeschoolers.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

I'd be willing to bet that the girl had been "groomed" by the photographer prior to the last shoot. This was probably not the first time she drank I'd also be willing to bet that this guy has done this before and this incident will bring past victims out of the closet.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I think the original comment about homeschooling had nothing to do with homeschooling. I think the person was saying that it's a shame that THIS MOTHER is homeschooling. As in, she is clearly too stupid to be TEACHING ANYONE.

Just my take though. (Read my sig line. :D )

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I seriously want to find this mother, facepalm in front of her, and then gracefully transfer into a full fledged backhand.

You have to account for the strong possibility that this girl has led a very sheltered life. She may not have recognized this as a danger, leading us back to WTF was mom thinking?

:n00b: such a sheltered life to not recognize that drinking alcohol and taking off your clothes MIGHT not be a good thing?

There's plenty blame to go around! The article said something about not having a father in the picture? Well guess what?..... There is NO MOTHER in the picture either!!! There are no words strong enough to describe how STUPID this woman AND her child are!

I said in another thread... AN EYE FOR AN EYE!
    Convict the rapist and cut his junk off, then put him in general population!

I hope that the mother was punished enough, but I'm not sure I would feel sorry for her if she was convicted of some kind of child endangerment charges.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I think the original comment about homeschooling had nothing to do with homeschooling. I think the person was saying that it's a shame that THIS MOTHER is homeschooling. As in, she is clearly too stupid to be TEACHING ANYONE.

Just my take though. (Read my sig line. :D )

This is it exactly. I have no problem with people homeschooling their kids if they are intelligent enough to do it. That lady obviously had no common sense and should not be teaching anyone anything.

What happened to that poor girl was a horrible life lesson to be learned. Had mom had any common sense the girl would not have had to learn it the hard way like she did.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    From the story

the girl was given alcohol ("Vodka. 10 shots.") and, according to medical reports, methamphetamine and opiates

The day after the photo shoot, the girl passed out. Tests revealed that she had been drugged and assaulted.

Why did it take until the next day when the girl passed out for the mother to know something was wrong? I would have thought the girl would have still been drunk and drugged when she got home from the photo shoot.

Or is that just another fine example of how this mother failed her daughter yet again? Not only did she not attend the photo shoot but she didn't talk to her daughter or check on her when she got home? This doesn't sound right. As a mother, if my daughter did something exciting I would want details when she got home. Wouldn't you? Especially if she had been alone with a man in his apartment.

Top Bottom