• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So we are kinda watching the Olympics tonight. I'm not getting the same 'hair on the back of my neck' feeling that I did when I was a kid.

Is it me? Or is it not the same Olympics that it used to be?

tocaman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    MT->MI->IN->SC
    Yes they are. After you get over the political BS that the games sometimes become, it's still the pinnacle of achievement for these young athletes. Look beyond whatever Russia, China or Canada or whichever the host countries ideology they're trying to push on you and enjoy sport for what it is.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Having a daughter in figure skating and knowing some of the members of the olympic skating team it means a lot to me.

Regardless, it is still nice to see one of the rare times when people of the world get together and have a competition where bloodshed doesn't determine winners. To bad our politicians couldn't get along as well as these athletes do.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I think it kind of spoils it when athletes compete for a country they are not from. Hypothetical example--XXX athlete was born in Argentina, lives in Nebraska, and is competing for Japan.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I think it kind of spoils it when athletes compete for a country they are not from. Hypothetical example--XXX athlete was born in Argentina, lives in Nebraska, and is competing for Japan.

I have to agree, it makes no sense. There are two competitors "representing" the U.S.Virgin Islands what were granted citizenship just so that they could compete for the Virgin Islands. Just doesn't seem right.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I haven't gotten that vibe this year either. Nbc broadcasting sucks and Bob Costas updating us on his eye infection is TMI. They were bashing athletes from places like Nepal in the opening ceremonies. Just ridiculous.

I attribute a lot of the oh gun because it is early. Also, the coverage sucks. One of my FB friends wants to be able to mute the hosts and here music lol.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes they are. After you get over the political BS that the games sometimes become, it's still the pinnacle of achievement for these young athletes. Look beyond whatever Russia, China or Canada or whichever the host countries ideology they're trying to push on you and enjoy sport for what it is.

I agree. I don't get as excited about the Winter games compared to the Summer games but they are good nonetheless. They do tend to start kind of slow and it's really in the second week that things get better.

Coverage is what it is. They cover the sports that are familiar and popular to the populations at large. Not to you and I.

What I am not a fan of is the adding of "sports" to the games, both Winter and Summer. Especially sports that are solely judged subjectively.

But I have been known to be old school in my views. LOL.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    As a youngster, this kinda ruined the awesomeness of the Olympics for me:

munich1841650_zps3274d2c2.jpg

It's easy to look back now and see what an impact watching that story unfold had on my young psyche and how it helped guide everything I've done from that point forward. That was probably the first time I managed to really wrap my head around the existence of evil, which was rather intense for a second grader.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

It's easy to look back now and see what an impact watching that story unfold had on my young psyche and how it helped guide everything I've done from that point forward. That was probably the first time I managed to really wrap my head around the existence of evil, which was rather intense for a second grader.

Yeah, I was about the same age at the time. My parents tried to keep me from watching it, but I used to listen to the news when I was in bed.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Too many of the events to this date have been "dance competitions" in my opnion. In other words they are scored subjectively. Gone are the days in these events where we can all band together and boo the Russian judge for marking down the US skaters so that took the fun out of those events. Also if they mention that the ice dancer's "twizzles" were not in unison one more freaking time I am going to go postal. { Hey, if my wife wants to spend time with me and she wants to watch ice dancing, then I am going to do it! Got a problem with that?)

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

I remember that image very well. I was 9.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    IndyJohn: It's you. I bet that the hair on the back of your neck isn't the only thing that isn't standing up the way it used to.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    So we are kinda watching the Olympics tonight. I'm not getting the same 'hair on the back of my neck' feeling that I did when I was a kid.

Is it me? Or is it not the same Olympics that it used to be?

That's because you aren't a kid anymore. You know and have seen a lot since then. :) We are always more awed by everything when we are kids.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I like the winter Olympics more than the summer ones, typically. It may help if you have ever been skiing or tried/watched other winter sports and I would think that Ice Hockey would be interesting for everyone.

The bobsleigh, luge, skeleton etc are all pretty risky and I like the speed they go at, with little room for mistakes. I have to admit that the X-Games are pretty good also, both winter and summer..

Top Bottom