• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blkwtrtac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Lowell
    Today, I made a custom AR15. Took it out to shoot after running functions check which was all good. Well to my problem, my ar will shoot and it wont expell the old casing and replace out of my clip. And sometimes it will expell the casing and still not rechamber a new round... Does anyone know why this would happen or what I can do to fix this problem? Is it a bad bolt?

blkwtrtac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Lowell
    It isnt that i used 4 different 30rd h&k mags, one was fully loaded the others only had 10 rds in it. but thanks, u have any other ideas??

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Check your extractor. First, make sure you installed the bolt facing the proper direction (extractor on the ejection port side of the rifle). Also, check the extractor spring. If you can move the extractor with your fingernail, you have a worn out spring.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Could be a couple of other issues....is the gas port lined up correctly?

Are you shooting .223...depending on the spring you are using some of the .223 does not generate enough pressure to cycle the round with out adjusting the gas port...try 5.56 and see if it works.

So examine what recoil spring/buffer you are using and check the alignment of the gas port...:twocents:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I made a custom AR15.....

....it wont expell the old casing and replace out of my clip.

And sometimes it will expell the casing and still not rechamber a new round.

When you say it won't "expell" - does the case stay in the chamber, or it is in the ejection port?

My first suspicion is that you either have the gas port misaligned to the FSB/gas block or it is undersized.

Single load a cartridge, have an empty magazine in place, pull the trigger - does the bolt lock back?

Tell us more about how "custom" it is.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    STOP!!! Count to ten! Don't get frustrated and do anything dumb!

Did you install your own gas block? This sounds like a port-alignment issue. Very recently, there was a thread on arfcom, of a tenured member, who had an identical problem. He got carried away, lost his cool, and totally FUBAR'd his rifle.

Take detailed pics of the the bolt, bolt carrier, and gas system with the handguards removed. (get your toes in at least one picture) Put pics in a photobucket account. Go to AR15.com, create an account. Go to General/General Discussion. Post the pics, tell your story, and admit that you may have screwed something up, and want the hive's help, so that you don't FUBAR your new rifle. You'll get good advice, respect, and street cred for having the sense to seek advice before you hose something up on your own.

No matter what it is, I would guarantee someone there has dealt with the exact same issue, and can tell you how to fix it.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    First and formost can we get some specs on the build?

What kind of barrel? Gas Block? BCG? Carbine stock or A2? What weight buffer if a CAR stock is it a CAR buffer H1 H2 H3? What kind of recoil spring? Are you using a standard recoil spring or aftermarket? What kind of Ammo?

What you describe sounds like a short stroke.

Did you cycle the action about 1000 (yes a 1000) times to really break everything in? Do this first, cycle it about 500 times clean the BCG then repeat. This will make sure everything is worked in well (do this on empty chamber).

What kind of ammo? If you are running Remmington UMC etc...it is known to be very underpowered. Before I recomend shooting 5.56 ammo make sure your barrel is chambered in 5.56.

Do you see any carbon build up around the gas block? This will point towards a gas leak.

Are you using mags that are known to work in other ARs?

This is a starting point, please keep us posted. If you have any questions let us know.

Chris

blkwtrtac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Lowell
    Thanks for all the replys. So here it is I am using a Sun Devil Lower, a Brownells A-4 collapsible buttstock. The upper I bought at a gun show... I dont know who makes it. A DPMS Trigger kit. I was shooting both Remington AMC 223 Rounds and Wolf 223. with the Not expelling it would stay in the chamber but occasionaly it would eject it, but would still not chamber another round. The mags worked well in my colt m4 for the military and it also worked just fine in my buddy's rouger. I did the single round with the remington and the wolf 223 ammo I have not tryed the 556 ammo yet but I will do that tomorrow.
    I will try to see if I can get pictures.
    Thanks for all the help.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Also how do I adjust the gas port and how do i know when it is properly adjusted??

I had a similar problem with a Model 1 Sales 6.8 upper. The problem with it was the barrel face needed to be polished because it was too tight for the bolt. It would engage and fire but too much pressure was against the bolt to allow for a full cycle.

They fixed this for me for free.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for all the replys. So here it is I am using a Sun Devil Lower, a Brownells A-4 collapsible buttstock. The upper I bought at a gun show... I dont know who makes it. A DPMS Trigger kit. I was shooting both Remington AMC 223 Rounds and Wolf 223. with the Not expelling it would stay in the chamber but occasionaly it would eject it, but would still not chamber another round. The mags worked well in my colt m4 for the military and it also worked just fine in my buddy's rouger. I did the single round with the remington and the wolf 223 ammo I have not tryed the 556 ammo yet but I will do that tomorrow.
    I will try to see if I can get pictures.
    Thanks for all the help.
    This post is confusing but it sounds as if the rifle is short stroking.
    Very unlikely that the lower has anything to do with the issue, the same goes for the buttstock provided you are using the recoil spring and buffer included with it.
    My guess is that you will eventually find the unknown upper to be the problem. Either something is slowing down the bolt carrier group or there is not enough gas for it to cycle fully.
    Ensure that the bcg is oiled properly. If it sounds dry when you pull the charging handle back, chances are that it needs lubrication, this includes the bolt.
    Check the gas key on the bcg and the gas tube in the upper receiver for wear marks, if excessive, they are not lining up properly. Also check the gas key itself and make sure it is tight on the bcg.
    Ensure that the gas rings are installed on the bolt, there should be 3.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    How much lube do you have on the carrier? Given that you have a new rifle, the carrier should be dripping wet with CLP for the first 500 or so rounds for everything to break in...

======================================

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

kwelz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Henryville
    This post is confusing but it sounds as if the rifle is short stroking.

This!
    Also check to make sure the carrier gas key is tight and staked properly. It is unlikely to be the problem but I have seen it before.

I think anything else I would suggest has already been covered.

Top Bottom