• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    Got a new upper and bought a bolt from a seperate place but i don't have the tool to check the headspace on it anybody around the Indy greenfield or newpal area have one and willing to help me out so I can get throwing lead down range safely?????

CGS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    ALl you need are some dummy snap caps at least. Preferrably you'd have some go and no-go guages. If you need them in a pinch you can get them from a local gun store, probably even your range will have them.

Use the snap caps to manually cycle the gun and ensure the rifle feeds, trigger pulls etc... If the trigger is mil-spec and properly installed you should be fine. If it's adjustable and over adjusted it may cause the trigger to automatically go off when you cycle the charging handle.

The go and no-go gauges are what you use to determine the actual head spacing. Brownells doesn't even recommend the go no-go gauges in their video.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Christ, some of the things you read on the internet.

A Snap Cap does not a headspace gauge make.

The Brownell's video that is referenced above, can be found here:

GunTech : Checking the Headspace & Installing the Ejector - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

It instructs to check if the bolt will lock into battery on a Field gauge, or not.

That will certainly tell you if your chamber is "too" long, but a Field gauge is well beyond the "No Go".

I'd suggest checking with both the "Go" and "No-Go".

If nobody local chimes in with a set of gauges, you can always rent them from this place (and others) quite inexpensively.

http://www.reamerrentals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=223Rem%2Eg

It'll take you longer to get your extractor and ejector out than it will to check it the right way.

Then you'll KNOW if your headspace is correct.

hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Not that my word means anything at all, but I would get the proper gauges. That is alot of pressure to be messin' with. If you don't, my feeling is, at some point you will wish you had.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Are .223 SAAMI gauges going to be accurate on a 5.56mm NATO chamber?

Nope.

There hasn't been anything established in this thread as to what chamber the OP has.

They'll rent you either gauge, get what is appropriate to the chamber in question.

In a "perfect world", you'd have a set of match gauges available which would cover the wide range either way, and you know "exactly" what headspace your barrel/bolt combination has.

http://www.forsterproducts.com/clie...ages/files/NATO_Headspace_Gage_NHG001-001.pdf

http://www.forsterproducts.com/clie...Match_Headspace_Gage_223_Rem_HG223MST-001.pdf

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    On a quality barrel and a quality bolt, say a Wilson barrel and a Colt bolt, is it even necessary? I would assume all this "mil-spec" stuff would mean brand new components are properly machined.

boostjunki

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 7, 2015
    Elkhart County
    I've assembled or helped assemble dozens of 223/556 AR rifles and right or wrong, never really bothered checking headspace with known quality parts. I've checked a few with a Field gauge.
    The outside dimensions of .223 and 5.56 cases are supposed to be identical, a 5.56 chamber has a longer throat than 223. So I'm not sure why 223 and 5.56 gauges are offered. If you really want to check make sure to remove the ejector and extractor from your bolt.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Years ago, when a barrel with extension was sold to a consumer, you had to pay extra for a bolt that came with it.

One magical day, all the manufacturers of barrels had a cup of coffee together and decided that all mil-spec bolts are exactly the same. Prices for barrels dropped $85 overnight.

The only bolts that need headspace checked are chrome bolts. Because the plating decreases headspace.

Go to Kreiger barrels website. He talks about it there.

If still in doubt, fire one round. Put that case in your Wilson case gauge. If it is inside the limits, you are GTG.

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Iv never seen a at built or bought that the headspace was off. Three layers of masking tape is a good no go gage.

Would that be English or Metric masking tape?

OP, take the rifle to a reputable gun shop and have them check the head space. Or order a set of go / no-go gauges and enjoy the satisfaction of being able to do it yourself. It is easy to do and the gauges are a good investment. I have a set that I would loan you, but am up near Kokomo.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    With the way the way the AR is designed, with the bolt locking into the extension. There is little to no benefit in headspacing an AR. They check that the extension is put on right at the factory.
    If for some reason you take the extension off the AR barrel (possibly but unlikely) then you would need to recheck it.

The head-spacing need comes from the older types of rifles where the bolt locks into the receiver, and the barrel simply screws onto the receiver threads. BE GLAD you don't have to time AND headspace a barrel.

You can thank Eugene Stoner for the advanced design on the AR.

TECKS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    With the way the way the AR is designed, with the bolt locking into the extension. There is little to no benefit in headspacing an AR. They check that the extension is put on right at the factory.
    If for some reason you take the extension off the AR barrel (possibly but unlikely) then you would need to recheck it.

The head-spacing need comes from the older types of rifles where the bolt locks into the receiver, and the barrel simply screws onto the receiver threads. BE GLAD you don't have to time AND headspace a barrel.

You can thank Eugene Stoner for the advanced design on the AR.

This^^

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom