• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Saving up to build my first rifle i have a general idea on some parts i want spikes lower, magpul gear and that's about as far as my knowledge on parts go. My budget is $1000 and i know to get a high quality barrel but as far as brand and other quality parts, i would appreciate some info from experienced builders thanks

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Personally I don't think home defense and AR15 are a good combo. But that's me. If I was going to go Home defense I'd probably keep the barrel short. Maybe go 9mm.

Precision shooting I'd go 20 plus inches. There are so many company's to choose from. You should have no problem building a nice gun! Have fun.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Spikes parts are nice. I would buy a lower parts kit that doesn't include the trigger, something like cmmg then spend a little extra on a decent trigger. You dont have to break the bank on a trigger but you want nice. Both JARD or Rock River 2 stage are nice with out costing a fortune.

There are a zillon different barrels out there. Like 1911ly said home defense and prescion shooting dont really go hand in hand. But that is the good/bad thing about AR's, they multiply. I would figure out what you want to use your first AR for. :)

I have picked up excellent target barrels on a budget directly from Armalite. There not cheap but not as expensive as some and they shoot great. Then if you choose a prescion rifle my personal preference is to go with something other then a collapsing buttstock, get something solid. Doesnt have to be expensive a staock A2 works nicely and a solid free float hand guard, a lot of good choices out there. I will say quad rails are nice but i like a hand gaurd that is smooth where you grip it, unles I plan on using an AFG.
    My 2 cents

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm just slightly over you budget but I am building what I think will be a decent rifle. However, this is just my second build, so I don't know much at this point. Here is a quick rundown of some of the parts I have:

20" White Oak Armament barrel
    Geissele SSA-E trigger
    JP Enterprises VTAC handguard
    Magpul Rifle Stock
    Aero Precision upper and lower
    A2 Carry Handle
    "F" marked front sight base
    MOE+ pistol grip
    rest of it mostly standard mil-spec stuff

I am still going to get a Micro Sight for it. I want to shoot it with irons for awhile at least. Plus, it will take awhile to save up for some good optics and a mount.

robh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    Muncie
    look for blemish sales to save a few bucks, $1k is a good starting point once you start getting quality barrel, quad rail, lower and accessories

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Look at KAK barrels and the PSA stainless as well. my 300blk was shooting subMOA 50 yards with eotech and crappy reloads I made. My 20" PSA stainless will outshoot most any barrel I am convinced.

Spikes is a great lower, seekins is usually billit. I personally see no difference, other than a name. Barrel, BCG, optics, and trigger is where you do NOT want to skimp out.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    One of my ARs that I built has Noveske gen2 lower. Probably my favorite lower. I'd love to have a magpul lower but I've have better luck finding unicorn poop. I believe the Noveske gen2 is an exact copy of the magpul though. I believe that Noveske is no longer making a forged gen2 lower, but making it from billet

Top Bottom