• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What's the difference between a "carbine" collapsible stock for an AR15 and a standard stock? :dunno:

I assume the difference is in length of the buffer tube. I ordered a "carbine" stock before I realized it.

This is for an as yet to be determined caliber/length rifle.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What's the difference between a "carbine" collapsible stock for an AR15 and a standard stock? :dunno:

I assume the difference is in length of the buffer tube.

The collapsible stock does not share any parts in common with the fixed stock.

The collapsible stock assembly consists of a carbine receiver extension (aka "buffer tube"), carbine buffer & spring, castle nut and receiver endplate.

The fixed stock assembly consists of a rifle receiver extension, rifle buffer & spring, spacer (if it's an A2 stock) and screw.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I guess I needed to clarify my question. Does installing a "carbine" stock alter the bolt carrier needed? Are the "carbine" buffer springs the same "weight" as a fixed stock spring?

I know it's a n00b question. I'd just like to know if I install the "carbine" stock, will it make a difference in the other parts needed to complete a build? I'm hoping the carbine stock is nothing more than a shorter version.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    With a collapsable buttstock you also need to watch out for the differences in mil-spec and commercial buffer tubes. Here is a link so I won't confuse you or myself trying to explain the differences. This really only applies if you are purchasing buffer tube assembly and buttstock seperate, it doesn't matter if both are included in a set.

http://magpul.commercev3.com/downloads/Receiver_Extension_Comparison.pdf

Top Bottom