• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Would any of you SBR wizards care to compile a comparison of different AR SBR variants?

I'm curious about the visual and technical differences between the most common barrel lengths. 14.5" vs. 12" vs. 10.5", yadda yadda yadda.

What's the shortest barrel you can have on a DI AR?

Thanks in advance!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'm curious about the visual and technical differences between the most common barrel lengths. 14.5" vs. 12" vs. 10.5", yadda yadda yadda

Gettin' tha itch are ya, Evan?? :D

BCM-URG-M4-14-2.jpg

14.5"

BCM-URG-M4-11-2.jpg

11.5"

LMT%2010.5%20URG-2.jpg

10.5"

images

7.5"

Those are the standards. Some vendors offer in-between lengths like a 12" or 12.5", but they're not all that common.

Note that from 14.5" down to 10.5" the CAR-length gas system and handguard size are maintained. The 7.5" requires a shorter (pistol-length) gas system and handguard.

What's the shortest barrel you can have on a DI AR?

Several years ago the M2 Corp. produced an upper with a 5" barrel.

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I have heard some suppressors won't mount with the 10.5" that has the bayo lug. It has to be milled off. That is one reason I went with a 11.5".

Not sure if it is true, but something to think about.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Gettin' tha itch are ya, Evan?? :D

Itch, yes. Probably not much scratching in the near future, but who knows? :dunno:

What about a 10.5" barrel with low-pro gas block, 12" rail, plus suppressor (tucked under rail)? Is that a 'doable' setup? How much length do most 5.56 suppressors add?

I'm having visions of this idea:

X300mounted.jpg

How long do you think that actual barrel is? (I take it that belongs to "Rob S"?)

Or do you suppose it would be silly to have a barrel is shorter than the rail, which means you'd always have to run it suppressed?

Maybe I could just stick with one of those fat piggy breaks tucked up next to the rail for the same 'look'.

I've always been fond of Cory Nash's 10" SBR:

IMG_3171.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    How long do you think that actual barrel is? (I take it that belongs to "Rob S"?)

I believe it's an 11.5" barrel (Colt 6933 carbine) with a 9.0" rail, unless he's changed something recently. Here it is in a slightly different configuration, with and without the can:

DSC_1759-Small$20$28Custom$29.jpg

DSC_1754-Small$20$28Custom$29.jpg

do you suppose it would be silly to have a barrel is shorter than the rail, which means you'd always have to run it suppressed?

1) The barrel is obviously not shorter than the rail on Rob_s' carbine above. The can is an OPS 15th Model, which extends a couple inches behind the muzzle.

2) I think the "SD look," wherein several inches of the suppressor fit inside the rail system, has a big CDI factor but is a pain in the ice from a practical standpoint. And while you could shoot such a setup without the can, the gun would look stupid. :n00b:

Maybe I could just stick with one of those fat piggy breaks tucked up next to the rail for the same 'look'.

I'm not generally a fan of the KX3. It serves the purpose on a VSBR of mitigating muzzle blast and report by projecting them forward of the shooter, but it's also heavy, expensive and offers little in the way of flash suppression or compensation.

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    AAC's mount has had problems because people see that the mount just barely clears the lug but the supressor extends a bit rearward- a bit too much as we've found out.

Rob's 15th fits in up against the rail. It's hard to get a good suppressor and good rail where the suppressor will fit inside the rail. Actually, it's impossible for 5.56. You can get a YHM rail but, well, that's YHM...

Is that Rob's super lightweight barrel that shifts quite a bit with the suppressor?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Itch, yes. Probably not much scratching in the near future, but who knows? :dunno:

What about a 10.5" barrel with low-pro gas block, 12" rail, plus suppressor (tucked under rail)? Is that a 'doable' setup? How much length do most 5.56 suppressors add?

Meant to tell you this last week but forgot. I am doing exactly this to my 5.56 SBR. Parts will be here tomorrow. It will be a 11.5" bbl with a 12" YHM lightweight rifle forend and the piggy. I am using a Midwest low profile gas block. I will post pic's when I get it together tomorrow night.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Taking time to save money is sometimes a good thing since I don't know which barrel length or rail length I would choose at the moment. I do know that phylodogs SBR is 90% what I want.

Top Bottom