• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just finished my first build. It has a standard Milspec (I think) front sight/gas block. I need a rear iron sight for it. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on it as I plan on getting a quality red dot at the beginning of the year. Do I need a specific height rear sight? Another INGOer was gave me a rear pop up but it was too short. Also, what are some good lower cost options (<$60) for the sight.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    MBUS. Cheap and effective for a back up sight. Just make sure you buy from a reputable dealer. Lots of fakes and counterfeits out there.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The matech is the first sight that came to mind. Keep in mind it's gov surplus now so you can find them new on ebay for $50-60 to your door. You can find them used and beat up for less. I have bought several from ebay, and have them on a few rifles. The military does pretty thorough testing on gear before sending it to the field, so I'm confident that it'll serve me well.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I use an aim sports dual aperture rear iron sight and i love it.

I had one of these, and it seriously broke on my first outing with it.

I would stay away from the bargain bin / airsoft stuff. The Matech rear is hard to beat, and the surplus prices on them are great. Depending on how hard you are on gear, the Battle Arms Development claw and screw replacement are a nice upgrade, and relatively inexpensive.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If you're treating your AR as non-lifepreserving gear, why have a BUIS at all?

I want to get a good quality red dot for it next spring, when my wallet can afford it. I have no rear sight right now. I just need something inexpensive to use for plinking until I get the optic.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Just get an MBUS then. They're plenty fine for what you want. They're more than robust enough, and if you break one, you would have broken a metal one or rendered it useless anyways.

Need something better? Get the MATech or a Troy.

I want to get a good quality red dot for it next spring, when my wallet can afford it. I have no rear sight right now. I just need something inexpensive to use for plinking until I get the optic.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I took a carry handle, cut it off and trimmed for a rear sight. Military adjustments are automatic for me. I doubt I'll ever have to use my sights BUT if my Aimpoint M3 ever pukes it'll be nice to be able to fall back on them. Super strong and weight isn't bad at all. rear sight 001.jpg

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Serious question, why run a red dot at all if you're absolute cowitnessed with a non-folding rear? Seems counter intuitive to me.

I run MBUS. Works well enough for my needs.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Serious question, why run a red dot at all if you're absolute cowitnessed with a non-folding rear? Seems counter intuitive to me.

I run MBUS. Works well enough for my needs.

The red dot is the obvious sight point. I don't even notice the sights. I keep the front sight down and the rear sight is positioned half way between the large and small holes. No interference at all. They don't even show in the red dot sight picture but are there if needed.
    I'm old fashioned and only have about 95% faith in the electronics. This is my #1 go to rifle I will trust with my life.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have something just like halfmileharry. On one at least.

YHM BUIS are on the other three. On has a gas block flip up from them and the other one has a regular pair.

Top Bottom