• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Recently we purchased a Ruger AR. To be honest I am not real familiar with the platform. Honestly I really like my Mini 14 and 30. So I never really gave a whole lot of thought to the AR. But my wife really likes it which is awesome.

So at the risk of sounding like an Idiot, why do people recommend having so many extra magazine's?
    I have heard some say you need 30 to 40. Are they prone to wearing out or something? Also it seems like most recomend Magpul magazines what makes them better?

Thanks

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    depends on your preference of how many you like to have loaded for range time. Up to 5 would probably work for most.
    Only reason to have 30-40 is to sell extras when prices spike.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The AR is a poor club without mags. I just bought 10 more from Brownells. They do not wear out. Magpul are great mags. I just don't like them. I like aluminum mags with the non-tilt followers.

I think I would also rely on one of my mini-14 rifles with Ruger mags if it ever came down to one rifle. I have dozens of mags for my Mini 14 also....

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Another reason is anything can happen and they may be unobtainable someday. The gun grabbers will try to get us anyway they can. They know they can't take our guns but they can make it hard to get parts and ammo we need.

I'd guess you may need to look into more mags for your Mini 14 and 30 along with any other mag fed firearms you have.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    depends on your preference of how many you like to have loaded for range time. Up to 5 would probably work for most.
    Only reason to have 30-40 is to sell extras when prices spike.

Yeah I was kind of thinking 5 would be good for us. We only have one AR.

My wife will usually shoot about 100 rounds at a time.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Another reason is anything can happen and they may be unobtainable someday. The gun grabbers will try to get us anyway they can. They know they can't take our guns but they can make it hard to get parts and ammo we need.

I'd guess you may need to look into more mags for your Mini 14 and 30 along with any other mag fed firearms you have.

Agreed I have several Ruger mags that are marked for Gov or LEO use only. Every time I see it I am reminded that voting matters.

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    Well, here is something also to consider, if something would happen, how many mags to you think you can carry on your person if you had to grab & go, the standard military load out is usually 6 mags, 1 in rifle 5 on chest rig or slung mag pouch. I have 5 for the AK always loaded, which is really my go to rifle, my AR I have 2-30 GI mags & 4-20 metal GI style mags. Also don't forget running & carrying 10 mags full of ammo on top of rifle weight & possible bug out back pack, your loaded down & quick movement if needed might be hindered. Also 6-30 round AR mags that's a good amount of ammo for just quick flight or recon style incursion, 180 rounds if properly train can last longer than one thinks, no spray & praying. Remember defense, then offense! This is just my 2 cents on the subject.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Because it's salad days. A gun ban is unlikely. What is likely is a ban on std cap magainzes. Look at what happened in Ny and CO but on a national level

dthm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Most people recommend that many in case they suddenly become "illegal to buy/sell" again. I have 15 loaded most days. And the only reason is when I go to the range with friends, you spend most of the day loading. Having them ahead of time give you may bang-bang time, less loading time. Just get a few mags and you will be fine.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Here are a couple of reasons that I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Save money in bulk
    2. If you were to have one fail (it does happen), it's no big deal to toss it and replace it with a back up
    3. They are cheap and plentiful right now. Just like ammo. Buy low, sell high.
    4. New laws aren't the only threat. The FEAR of new laws will likely be more of an issue. It just takes one idiot somewhere in the country to do something stupid to cause prices and demand to skyrocket.
    5. All of us used to only have 1 AR. The 2nd one is only a matter of time. And the 3rd, 4th, etc....
    6. Because who doesn't think this pictures just looks awesome!!!

e4122b6ae4fdb448c0cbc034fd766b10.jpg

thomasred5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 15, 2016
    Central Indiana
    At least 8 in my book. IMO, the regular ol' aluminum (D&H brand specifically) are the best. $6.99 - 7.99 / piece at palmetto state armory, make sure they have the magpul followers. Also, have at least one 20 rounder for shooting prone or off the bench. I am going to get chastised for saying this, but Magpul PMAG's are overhyped, especially the Gen M2. I've had the feed lips on a few of the 30 rd mags spread over time after leaving them loaded. The 20 rd gen M2's, I've had several of them not lock the bolt back when empty. Is it a big deal? Maybe, maybe not, but I don't buy PMAG's anymore.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    At least 8 in my book. IMO, the regular ol' aluminum (D&H brand specifically) are the best. $6.99 - 7.99 / piece at palmetto state armory, make sure they have the magpul followers. Also, have at least one 20 rounder for shooting prone or off the bench. I am going to get chastised for saying this, but Magpul PMAG's are overhyped, especially the Gen M2. I've had the feed lips on a few of the 30 rd mags spread over time after leaving them loaded. The 20 rd gen M2's, I've had several of them not lock the bolt back when empty. Is it a big deal? Maybe, maybe not, but I don't buy PMAG's anymore.

I have the same opinion and experience with PMAGS as you. Have couple that are now strictly range mags that I load down on the run n gun course. When loaded up the top rd wants to pop out. If go to load it that first rd actually jams. For go mags it's GI type D&H or Lancer Warfighters. I love the Lancers

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Well, here is something also to consider, if something would happen, how many mags to you think you can carry on your person if you had to grab & go, the standard military load out is usually 6 mags, 1 in rifle 5 on chest rig or slung mag pouch. I have 5 for the AK always loaded, which is really my go to rifle, my AR I have 2-30 GI mags & 4-20 metal GI style mags. Also don't forget running & carrying 10 mags full of ammo on top of rifle weight & possible bug out back pack, your loaded down & quick movement if needed might be hindered. Also 6-30 round AR mags that's a good amount of ammo for just quick flight or recon style incursion, 180 rounds if properly train can last longer than one thinks, no spray & praying. Remember defense, then offense! This is just my 2 cents on the subject.

Where did you come up with the 5 +1 number? Combat load out when I was in the infantry 07 to 14 was 10 + 1.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Combat load out when I was in the infantry 07 to 14 was 10 + 1.
    When we were running around practicing FM 7-8 we ran 210rds in a 6+1 configuration. Three in each pouch (old school LC-1 stuff) and one in the rifle. That was '97 to '04 Air Force training via the Army.

It's important to remember the military has changed in the recent past. Consistent resupply and a firmer reliance on vehicle-borne operations has pushed individual loadout from more food/shelter/water and less ammo to more ammo and technology and less everything else. Back in the day only the radioman had a radio. Folks carried things like shelter halves and tripods. None of us had 31lb body armor. We might be on foot for several days at a time and maybe, if we were lucky, there'd be resupply somewhere at the end of the day but hardly ever was it at the end of the block or the end of the neighborhood. War has changed and it's changed the soldier. That, in turn, has changed loadout.

The thing about a civilian operator is he's much more likely to need to be light and fast as he'll likely conduct asymmetric warfare with little to no resupply. Carrying 10 mags sounds nice but six (or even five) might be plenty. Think Vietnam-era LRRP as opposed to Korengal dismounted patrols.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I don't see the number of mags carried for loadout as the determining factor for how many mags you should have.

Most people only carry a spare mag or 2 for their handgun. So, you should only have 3 mags for your handgun? Some people don't carry a spare mag at all (inadvisedly imho). So, they don't need any more mags than what came with their gun? Nonsense.

Magazines are a critical part of any semiautomatic firearm. Without them, most are very poor single-shot arms. Additionally, magazines are subject to wear (and you should be wearing some out as you train) and breakage. They are also subject to foolish government regulation.

Just from a training perspective your number of mags would be 2x your carry loadout (1 set for training, 1 set for carry). Add in the potential regulation factor (risk of zero resupply), and their criticality to the function of your gun, and I don't see where it's unreasonable for people to have several multiples of their carry loadout in stock.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I have 6 mags loaded and ready plus 1 in my AR all the time. I plan to buy about 10 or so more GI mags and maybe drop the coin on some lancers.

Mainly to have extras in case of price increase ( I dont plan to sell them) and then just to have extra for whatever needs may arise. My goal is about 25 mags total, I dont think this is too much as I plan to build at least 1 more AR in the near future for a total of 3. This may change with time as we get closer to the next election.

Buy what you can afford, Worst thing that could happen is you have a lot of extra mags, and is that really a bad thing?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom