• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    Because its a AXIS. They are not made to the same standards as the rest of the Savage's.

Savage has the AXIS kind of like Remington has the 770.

+1 but a little tinkering and they shoot decent, had my 308 sub MOA at 100 but it took a lot of loading to hit it, more than any other gun but the aftermarket is catching up

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Boyds makes a couple Axis stocks now, and many owners have reported them to be easily sub-MOA shooters with a hand load the rifle likes. That said, I still wouldn't spend my hard-earned money on one as it is a price-point rifle with a VERY tiny aftermarket, way smaller than even the Savage 10/110 series.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    +1 but a little tinkering and they shoot decent, had my 308 sub MOA at 100 but it took a lot of loading to hit it, more than any other gun but the aftermarket is catching up

How many shot group? I messed with a 243 (I think) AXIS. It had a pencil barrel, and it would put 2 shots on top of each other, then started walking because of the barrel heat.

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    How many shot group? I messed with a 243 (I think) AXIS. It had a pencil barrel, and it would put 2 shots on top of each other, then started walking because of the barrel heat.

I run 5 shot groups, lived out in Utah when I had it shooting in colder weather, maybe high near 50 out. Got rid of it before summer hit so no experience with outside air temp making things worse but it did get pretty warm even then. I tried a handful of factory rounds that I would get 2-4" groups out of, most hand loads were good for 1 1/2", but after enough attempts it worked out good, I hear others say there's shot good with lots of loads.

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    Yes it wasn't bad I thought but I was stuck as to get it or spend the same on a new 204 at that moment so I'll let it go, saves me money in the long run cause once I get a savage/Stevens I never quit tinkering:dunno:

Allenicomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Carmel Indiana
    IMO, it's a function of purpose and price. I'm a 308 fan. Great round, readily available, moderate to little recoil. Per equal quality, probably purchase bolt rifle setup for less than equal quality AR platform. If you don't need large capacity, build out a quality bolt gun. If you require bunch of bullets...go AR.

Good news is that excellent tiggers are available for both platforms.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    I am personally a Savage fan; the floating bolt head does wonders for accuracy. Stevens is another good option (pretty much a Savage w/ out accu-trigger) and you may also want to look into HOWA rifles. My personal caliber preference would be 6.5 Creedmoor. Hornady sells their 140gr Match 6.5 CM for what you can get match 308 for. If you want to maintain MOA accuracy at distance, you will need to shoot quality match ammo.

Top Bottom