• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Anyone building / built a pistol-stocked AR- successfully? Whose receiver and upper were used? This is not a simple hacksaw, drill-press build is it? Pat.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If you're using a hacksaw and a drill press to assemble an AR, you're not doing something right. ;)

UH, yup :shoot:

But to the original post, to build an AR pistol you need to buy a "pistol" lower. It is identical in every way to a "rifle" lower except that when you had it transferred to you from your FFL dealer it was transferred as a handgun. I'm not sure if you can convert a lower to a pistol lower. You probably can (???) but I simply don't know how.

There are some parts that you need to be careful of when you build an AR15 pistol. NO buttstock can be put on the gun. NO vertical forgrip can be put on the gun. If I was to build one now I would want an Olympic Arms or similar upper which eliminate the buffer tube/assembly/spring on the rear of the gun and move the recoil system up over the barrel. It makes for a more compact handgun, and one that I think is easier to use because the buffer system doesn't stick out behind the gun.

THIS:
    full-oa-93.jpg

NOT THIS:
    arpistol1.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I know that a lot of folks like to use the extended buffer tubes on the pistols as little "mini stocks" and pull it into the top of their shoulder to aid in aiming/accuracy.

And I think that's a danged fine idea, too.

-J-

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Another option is a kel-tec plr 16. I lusted after one for some time, bought it, and really didn't like it much. Sold it to a guy at work who loves it.

I would not do a pistol AR but would spend a couple hundred more on a stamp and do a SBR in a heartbeat.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    UH, yup :shoot:

But to the original post, to build an AR pistol you need to buy a "pistol" lower. It is identical in every way to a "rifle" lower except that when you had it transferred to you from your FFL dealer it was transferred as a handgun. I'm not sure if you can convert a lower to a pistol lower. You probably can (???) but I simply don't know how.

There are some parts that you need to be careful of when you build an AR15 pistol. NO buttstock can be put on the gun. NO vertical forgrip can be put on the gun. If I was to build one now I would want an Olympic Arms or similar upper which eliminate the buffer tube/assembly/spring on the rear of the gun and move the recoil system up over the barrel. It makes for a more compact handgun, and one that I think is easier to use because the buffer system doesn't stick out behind the gun.
    If a stripped lower is transferred simply as a receiver, I was under the impression it could be built in either configuration. :dunno:

The Oly upper is cool!

outlaw2842

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    if you wanna buy a complete one the outdoorsman has been getting them in stock occationaly but they dont last very long.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    I like the look of "Not This" :D
    Need to know where I can pick up a mini buffer tube like that.

Top Bottom